Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:02:26 AM
713332 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Badmovies.org's Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
Author Topic: Badmovies.org's Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread  (Read 55608 times)
66Crush
« Reply #135 on: October 30, 2011, 08:08:29 PM »

Halloween
Ed Wood
Curse of The Mummy's Tomb
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #136 on: October 30, 2011, 09:46:58 PM »

Dracula Has Risen From the Grave (1968): Enjoyable Hammer Dracula sequel starring Christopher Lee has stylistic gothic visuals, exotic women and energetic acting performances going for it. Decent. *** out of ***** stars.

Attack of the Crab Monsters (1957): Really fun Corman sci-fi cheapie with cool if not thoroughly convincing crab monsters tangling with a group of scientists (including familiar faces Richard Garland, Russell Johnson and Pamela Duncan) on a shrinking desert island. Loved it! **** out of ***** stars.

Children of the Corn (1984): Kids are tricked and manipulated by an evil demonic corn entity into committing murderous acts targeting every adult in sight. A couple makes the mistake of visiting said town and now the question is will they get out alive? A rather unsettling film in terms of subject matter, this has good kid villains going for it but is a bit too dull, overlong and dragged out and it's hard to feel sympathy for the leads as they seem more than a bit dumb. ** out of ***** stars.

The Fearless Vampire Killers (1967): Really fun zany vampire spoof has a buffoonish professor and his hapless assistant (Jack McGrowan and Roman Polanski) getting into one misadventure after another as they perhaps rather foolishly tangle with some slightly over the top vampires. A lot of fun. **** out of ***** stars.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
claws
« Reply #137 on: October 31, 2011, 01:58:47 AM »

10/30 #45

The Lost World: Jurassic Park (1997) BD

More dinos, more havoc and some T.Rex tongue-fu. Why people dislike this sequel is a mystery to me. I think it delivers. 4.5/5

The Entity (1982)

Now this ghost doesn't f**k around. Well it does but you know what I mean. Disturbing Paranormal Activity 80s style that might be the scariest ghost movie ever. 5/5
crackers
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #138 on: October 31, 2011, 05:53:55 AM »

10/28 #40

Offerings (1989)

Blatant Halloween clone (right down to Carpenter's score) but charming because of typical 80s cheese (big hair, belly-free shirts).
Cheap but decent production. Never heard of this film until a few years ago. This one went under my radar in video rental days I guess. Either way, worth watching. 4/5

I got this in a box set, just recently watched it and really liked it. Silly but good.

crackers
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #139 on: October 31, 2011, 11:37:48 AM »

First things first, I know I'm super late on this one. I just watched Re-Animator for the first time

I just never got round to watching it, but I'm so glat I did.

Are the sequels any good?

akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #140 on: October 31, 2011, 11:48:57 PM »

A little late but last movie for this Halloween ...

Halloween Town.  Three kids - big sister, middle brother, little sister - discover that they hail from a powerful line of wizards and witches, a fact which their mother (herself a powerful witch) has kept from them.  They venture to Halloween Town, a place where all magical folk and creatures congregate, to learn magic from their grandmother.  However, an evil shadow creature picks just that time to conquer Halloween Town and use its inhabitants as an army to take over the mortal world ...

Harmless family movie, good to watch with your girlfriend and her kid.   Smile

'Twas a good October.   Smile

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
claws
« Reply #141 on: November 01, 2011, 02:37:12 AM »

10/31 #49

Jurassic Park III (2001) BD

This is actually a pretty good sequel, though missing the Spielberg "magic" but still entertaining enough. 4/5

Darkman (1990) BD

Not really horror but it has all the typical wild Raimi ingredients. Over-the-top greatness. 4.5/5

Candyman (1992) BD

Looking and sounding pretty good on Blu-ray. Todd's voice is booming and Madsen's eyes are more clearer and sharper than ever. 5/5

Halloween (1978) BD

Had to flip a coin. It was either this or Season of the Witch. 5/5
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #142 on: November 01, 2011, 06:52:32 AM »

Ghosts of Mars (2001) - Mars has been terraformed but a group of miners unwittingly release the planet's previous inhabitants - a red cloud that takes over people and turns them into rejects from a Mad Max movie.  It's up to Natasha Henstridge and Ice Cube to save the day.  Or at least shoot everything in sight.  An old favorite of mine, which looks quite spectacular on Blu ray.  Written and directed by John Carpenter, it's not altogether serious and includes a few humorous character moments.  Quite action packed, and I really liked the people in it.  I never have been able to figure out the plot though - the inhabitants of Mars died off quite some time ago, but they want to take revenge on anyone who comes to their planet?  Revenge for what?  Oh well, an enjoyable Halloween night was had by all   Thumbup  4.25/5.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #143 on: November 01, 2011, 08:21:16 AM »

A couple more from Halloween night. Since we don't get many kids down our street, we take Ro across town to trick-or-treat with her friends, and just leave the house dark so nobody knocks. I miss putting on a big display, but this year I stayed home and took advantage of being all alone in a dark house for most of the evening. Put the jack-o-lantern on the table next to the couch for an eerie glow, pulled the laptop close and watched a double feature of Mad Love (more of a thriller, but still a good movie) and my second viewing of Creepshow for this fall.

"Just tell it to call you Billy."

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Skull
« Reply #144 on: November 01, 2011, 09:21:46 AM »

Originally I never cared about the Goosebumps series but we have been watching them and I'm quite surprise how good some of the stories are especially for our 3-year-old!!!

She also enjoys Monster Squad (seen it 3 times) and Nick's The boy who cried Werewolf (which isnt bad)...

We also watch Army of Darkness although the story seemed little boring for her at some parts...

Oddly, the flying monkies in Wizard of Oz seemed to scare her...
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #145 on: November 01, 2011, 09:56:29 AM »

First things first, I know I'm super late on this one. I just watched Re-Animator for the first time

Are the sequels any good?

Not up to the level of the original (not surprisingly) but still worth watching.  I was slightly disappointed with BRIDE but I thought BEYOND was a nice over-the-top bad movie.

As for me, I watched the Spanish [REC] for the first time.  A TV crew follows firemen into an apartment building on a routine rescue call, but soon find themselves trapped inside the building where the residents have contracted a virus that causes them to turn homicidal.  It's basically a mashup of NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD and THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT, and although it's not too original, it is about as much scary fun as you could hope for from the combination.  4/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #146 on: November 01, 2011, 08:10:34 PM »

My Halloween night viewing included

Curse of the Mummy's Tomb (1964): I usually like to get in a Mummy movie for some reason and this year I picked this one. Honestly it's a bit on the slow side as the Mummy doesn't really factor too heavily into things until towards the end. Still when he does, he's memorable and does some rather atypical kills and in the end, he's truly shown to be a different kind of Mummy. Also notable how he breathes heavily like Michael Myers as he stalks his victims and he looks a bit on the chubby side around the middle. This one was fairly entertaining overall with lots of cheesy over the top gore with hands getting lopped off, Fred Clark hamming things up a bit, and a love triangle with a few interesting twists. *** out of **** stars.

Not of This Earth (1957): I've been wanting to see this one for ages. Kind of fitting I finally did so on Halloween. It didn't disappoint and I'd argue this Corman cheapie could stand side to side with some other 50s Sci-fi/Horror classics of the era that perhaps cost far more. It features a mysterious alien stranger hiding among us using dark shades in order to hide bizarre alien eyes capable of frying human brains while said alien searches for human blood both for himself and to send back to his home world as well as selecting human specimens for study. This was quite well done and features a number of familiar B-movie stars including B-Movie Queen Beverly Garland looking quite fetching here as a nurse, Jonathan Haze as the alien's servant/chaffeur who suspects something's not quite right about his employer, Morgan Jones as Garland's love interest/cop boyfriend and finally Paul Birch as the alien who goes by the name Mr. Johnson. Also look for Dick Miller in a memorable bit part as a vaccum cleaner salesman. This was a lot of fun and offers up a few unexpected surprises before it's over. ***1/2 out of ***** stars.

Halloween (1978): Had to make room for Carpenter's classic again. The best film of its type IMO. Just love the way this film builds and builds and how Myers is always seemingly in the shadows or just lurking around the next corner out of sight. Kudos also must go to Jamie Lee Curtis for being such a likable lead here that she's very easy to root for. The music, settings, atmosphere, lighting , all of it works so very well.  ***** out of ***** stars, especially on Halloween.

Trilogy of Terror (1975): TV adaptation of three Richard Matheson stories, each featuring actress Karen Black in the title roles. These stories all have unusual little twists and in many ways recall the classic Twilight Zone. Of the three stories, by far the best and most suspenseful is the last featuring the Zuni fetish doll, an evil thing that comes to life and stalks its prey. Actually predator and prey themetacially runs at the heart of all 3 stories. Honestly though only the last story moves this film into the realm of outright horror although the first two do possess elements of it even though they are more tales of suspense. *** out of ***** stars.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #147 on: November 01, 2011, 10:06:20 PM »

My Halloween night viewing included

Curse of the Mummy's Tomb (1964): I usually like to get in a Mummy movie for some reason and this year I picked this one. Honestly it's a bit on the slow side as the Mummy doesn't really factor too heavily into things until towards the end. Still when he does, he's memorable and does some rather atypical kills and in the end, he's truly shown to be a different kind of Mummy. Also notable how he breathes heavily like Michael Myers as he stalks his victims and he looks a bit on the chubby side around the middle. This one was fairly entertaining overall with lots of cheesy over the top gore with hands getting lopped off, Fred Clark hamming things up a bit, and a love triangle with a few interesting twists. *** out of **** stars.

Not of This Earth (1957): I've been wanting to see this one for ages. Kind of fitting I finally did so on Halloween. It didn't disappoint and I'd argue this Corman cheapie could stand side to side with some other 50s Sci-fi/Horror classics of the era that perhaps cost far more. It features a mysterious alien stranger hiding among us using dark shades in order to hide bizarre alien eyes capable of frying human brains while said alien searches for human blood both for himself and to send back to his home world as well as selecting human specimens for study. This was quite well done and features a number of familiar B-movie stars including B-Movie Queen Beverly Garland looking quite fetching here as a nurse, Jonathan Haze as the alien's servant/chaffeur who suspects something's not quite right about his employer, Morgan Jones as Garland's love interest/cop boyfriend and finally Paul Birch as the alien who goes by the name Mr. Johnson. Also look for d**k Miller in a memorable bit part as a vaccum cleaner salesman. This was a lot of fun and offers up a few unexpected surprises before it's over. ***1/2 out of ***** stars.

Halloween (1978): Had to make room for Carpenter's classic again. The best film of its type IMO. Just love the way this film builds and builds and how Myers is always seemingly in the shadows or just lurking around the next corner out of sight. Kudos also must go to Jamie Lee Curtis for being such a likable lead here that she's very easy to root for. The music, settings, atmosphere, lighting , all of it works so very well.  ***** out of ***** stars, especially on Halloween.

Trilogy of Terror (1975): TV adaptation of three Richard Matheson stories, each featuring actress Karen Black in the title roles. These stories all have unusual little twists and in many ways recall the classic Twilight Zone. Of the three stories, by far the best and most suspenseful is the last featuring the Zuni fetish doll, an evil thing that comes to life and stalks its prey. Actually predator and prey themetacially runs at the heart of all 3 stories. Honestly though only the last story moves this film into the realm of outright horror although the first two do possess elements of it even though they are more tales of suspense. *** out of ***** stars.

Now that sounds like a nice evening in.

I figured I'd watch a couple more tonight, even if it is November. With all the other anthologies I've been watching, I had to watch Cat's Eye. Fun little movie that I haven't seen in a few years. And I had the 1979 Dracula movie on the PVR, which is one I haven't seen in probably 20 years or more. Not used to seeing Frank Langella playing young and handsome. Donald Pleasence is good as always.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
66Crush
« Reply #148 on: November 02, 2011, 12:05:56 AM »

I wrapped it up with:

Night of the Living Dead
Redneck Zombies (Well, only half because Netflix crashed.)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #149 on: November 02, 2011, 06:21:15 AM »

I watched GRAVE ENCOUNTERS last night because I had to work Halloween night this year.  If you love horror films, you must see this movie.  It scared me silly! Buggedout

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Badmovies.org's Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.