Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 11:14:52 AM
714154 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  most hated literary works « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: most hated literary works  (Read 18745 times)
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2011, 05:37:42 AM »

And Lord of the Flies remains the scariest book I have ever read, and one of the scariest movies as well.

But I'm befuddled you found ... and Lord of the Flies underwhelming.

It's not that the book is bad to me or anything, it is just that it just very complicated to read and really hard to get what is going on most of the time.  I want to like it since my favorite manga series takes a lot of inspiration from it (It also predates Battle Royale).

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2011, 05:58:11 AM »

my main issue with both Heart of Darkness and Moby Dick is the same in that they bored the living crap out of me

I was like

Small | Large

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2011, 02:04:50 PM »

Here goes. I know this is going to come across as snobby and condescending, but WTF? Great literature is great literature. If you don't want to read great literate, then don't. I don't care much for the socio-political nature of the works of Dickens or Steinbeck, but I would never say their work was crap. If one is bored by great literature, then I suggest comic books and video games.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2011, 03:57:15 PM »

I tried to read a book by Anne Rice once. Nothing happened for several hundred pages, my friend informed me it would be several hundred MORE pages till something happened and I put it down.
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2011, 05:50:37 PM »

Here goes. I know this is going to come across as snobby and condescending, but WTF? Great literature is great literature. If you don't want to read great literate, then don't. I don't care much for the socio-political nature of the works of d**kens or Steinbeck, but I would never say their work was crap. If one is bored by great literature, then I suggest comic books and video games.

books are just like movies in that just because something is deemed a classic does not mean that everyone has to like it, in fact one can loath it if they despise it that much

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2011, 11:46:06 PM »

But I'm befuddled you found Heart of Darkness and Lord of the Flies underwhelming. Those are the books you need to read as a teenager, because you'll never find them as effective at any other point in life.
I read Lord of the Flies back in 9th grade and hated it. I'm going to read Heart of Darkness later in the school year, so may be it'll be different?... Lookingup

yeah no.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2011, 06:26:10 AM »

I tried to read a book by Anne Rice once. Nothing happened for several hundred pages, my friend informed me it would be several hundred MORE pages till something happened and I put it down.

Anne Rice is a terrible writer.
I tried the Lord of the Rings books. Yuck.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2011, 09:11:14 AM »

Ditto. I gave "Interview with the Vampire" a shot years ago (probably around the time the movie came out) just to see what all the whoop-de-doo was about, and it bored the man-titties off of me. I gave up about half way through.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2011, 11:59:14 AM »

Here goes. I know this is going to come across as snobby and condescending, but WTF? Great literature is great literature. If you don't want to read great literate, then don't. I don't care much for the socio-political nature of the works of d**kens or Steinbeck, but I would never say their work was crap. If one is bored by great literature, then I suggest comic books and video games.

books are just like movies in that just because something is deemed a classic does not mean that everyone has to like it, in fact one can loath it if they despise it that much

Well, that wasn't really my point. If one doesn't care for a piece of classic literature, that's fine. Some people can't stand reading Shakespeare or watching Shakespeare. I've got no problem with that. I'm just saying that many of the posts talk about them as if they are crap. They aren't crap. They wouldn't be classics if they were. They were influential works that deserve respect, whether you liked them or not. In that respect they ARE just like movies. Not everyone likes Citizen Kane. I don't care for it, in fact. I don't call it crap, though.

So, anybody can do anything they want. Freewill and all that. I just think it's kind of ignorant to trash significant works of art as crap.

Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2011, 01:00:48 PM »

So, anybody can do anything they want. Freewill and all that. I just think it's kind of ignorant to trash significant works of art as crap.

We can still say crap then...  Wink

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2011, 01:12:36 PM »

We can still say crap then...  Wink

I'm flattered that you would await my permission, but yes.

BounceGiggle

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2011, 04:26:37 PM »

* GULLIVER'S TRAVELS.  The first 1/3 of the book was interesting and often funny.  After that, it got really repetitive and seemed to go on and on pointlessly.  It took me almost a year to read it . . . mostly because I kept putting off reading the last 30 or so pages.  Finally, I just said, "Let me finish this sucker."  I'm glad it's over.

* MOBY DICK.  I'm willing to bet not more than 25 - 30% of this novel is devoted to the actual story.  The rest is chapter after chapter of information about whales and the whaling industry.  It's more like a text book than a novel.  Very, very dry.  Although, the actual story parts (which are few and far between) are good.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2011, 05:04:45 AM »

I agree with that sentiment. Great literature is great literature. There is no reason it should be easy to understand. Some of the greatest books take an inordinate amount of work to understand. Ulysses is a prime example.

However, not every piece of literature that is presented as great deserves that role. I think the perennial high school favorite The Scarlet Letter is garbage. I do think it is crap, but it is forced on millions of unwitting high school sophomores. "Great literature."

It's not, it just has the force of history behind it.

But why so angry about comics and video games? Seems an easy target, but some of the most jaw-dropping works of art in the past twenty years have manifested themselves in those two mediums.

Art. It takes you unawares.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2011, 06:15:48 AM »

This whole conversation reminds me of an exchange between an American tourist and a French curator at the Louvre:

American:  "I must say I don't think much of these so-called great works of art you got here!"

Frenchman:  "What you think about these artworks, sir, says very little about them.  On the other hand, it says a great deal about you."

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2011, 11:46:08 PM »

inspired by my most hated movie thread

I hate Moby d**k, had to read it for a college class

same goes for Heart of Darkness

I'm reading Moby Dick now and loving it...

Great stuff.

Of course, I've lived on a boat for almost three years, which may change my perspective.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  most hated literary works « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.