Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:16:56 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  most hated literary works « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: most hated literary works  (Read 18644 times)
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2011, 03:19:35 AM »

The Great Gatsby.  If you can stay awake through this one, you deserve a medal.

Lair of the White Worm.  Skip the confusing and (most likely) poorly edited book.  Watch the movie. 

Lord of the Rings.  I respect the material and imagination of Tolkien, but the need to constantly linger on every goddamn rock, bird, passing township, and plant drives me up the wall.

Anything Gregory MacGuire.  Can this be considered literary?  It seems like his stories go something like this: character has goals, character attempts goals, boring scenes ensue, character says, "f**k it, I quit," or fails and their attempts at such goals are never mentioned again.  It's like you're reading the life of a interesting character turned mediocre.  Wicked?  Pah!  The Broadway musical was 1000000 times better.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 01:29:33 PM by Joe the Destroyer » Logged
Cthulhu
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2011, 08:50:00 AM »

Well, technically it's a play, but reading Waiting for Godot was an incredibly painful experience.
I understand what Becket was trying to say.
It still sucks.

Maybe it translates better on stage.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2011, 02:24:36 PM »

Here goes. I know this is going to come across as snobby and condescending, but WTF? Great literature is great literature. If you don't want to read great literate, then don't. I don't care much for the socio-political nature of the works of d**kens or Steinbeck, but I would never say their work was crap. If one is bored by great literature, then I suggest comic books and video games.

But why so angry about comics and video games? Seems an easy target, but some of the most jaw-dropping works of art in the past twenty years have manifested themselves in those two mediums.

Art. It takes you unawares.

That's a fair question. I don't hate comic books or video games as it may seem. What I was trying to say was that it seems most aversions to great literature tend toward the "it's boring" vain. I guess to some, if it's not entertaining on a shorter-attention-span level, then it's crap. In that particular light, I simply recommend comic books and video games. I see where that could be taken as anger, but there is no anger or hatred intended. I think the derision was aimed more at short attention span than the particular media mentioned.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2011, 01:56:41 PM »

I suppose I should expand... My complaint about Moby Dick is that is 30% stort 70% Whaling, and somewhat innacurate whaling too.  The problem is that peopel didn't know HOW to make this sort of book in those days.  I recently learned that people in the 19th century hated Moby Dick for the opposite reason...it was too modern in its presentaion.  I like th "sory" part, and got hugely sick of the "science" part. 

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Hammock Rider

« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2011, 11:07:43 AM »

I once signed up for a class focusing on the writings of Mark Twain. The professor was taken ill and instead, after I'd signed up, the course was changed to a survey of the writings of E.M. Forster. He wrote stuff like Howard's End and Passage to India, which spent alot of time exploring the irreconcilability of class differences. Yee-Haw!! Reading this stuff was like trying to breathe mud. I realize that was years ago and I might think differently of his work now, manny years and experiences later. But I don't really want to find out.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2011, 10:06:20 PM »

I've had to read "The Great Gatsby" three freakin' times in my scholastic life - once in high school, once in college, and a 3rd time when I took some extra credit courses at a local community college. Never again!!...
My favorite book, which I've probably read 6 or 7 times (I just reread it last year). 

I've got second "the great gatsby". Gatsby was not great. If Gatsby had a lick of intelligence he would have ditched that numbnutted broad Daisy to the curb and went out and found a woman worth a damn.  Come on Gatsby, lots of fish in the sea there buddy.

I would also vote for most works by Hemmingway, before you condemn understand by highschool Lit teacher had a crush on Hemmingway and our class suffered for it. In my book anyone as obsessed with being manly as Hemmingway was has to be gay. A few of his short stories have redeeming qualities though such as good pacing etc.

Lookingup

...Right on!  Poetry is always the most uninteresting subject for me in school (My Creative Writing course will be hitting soon.  Ugh.).  The most WTF poem I ever read was this:

so much depends
upon

a red wheel
barrow

glazed with rain
water

beside the white
chickens

What the hell did I just read?!...
WILLIAM CARLOS WILLIAMS
One thing that depends upon the wheel barrow is the work that needs to be done.  Another thing dependent upon the wheel barrow is the reader’s understanding of the poem.  Though seemingly a simple, plain description, like a snapshot, the poem paints a memorable image and afterthought.  It’s personal.  Its refinement is razor sharp.  How much depends upon a red wheel barrow?   If you’re the poet, everything. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2011, 11:27:11 PM »

Hey AHD!! We been missing you! Welcome back! BounceGiggle

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2011, 05:44:48 PM »

Yeah, the film version of Stoker's "Lair of the White Worm" is definitely better than the novel. Maybe because the only similiarity between the two is the title.

I have had good friends who have read the novel and declared it to be not only bad, but the worst book, they have ever read.

Though, to be fair to Stoker, he was ailing when he wrote it. Though, there is some argument as what he was ailing from. Some say Bright's Disease and others say the last stages of syphilis.

And the book, which is set in the 1860s, does have one of the great snafus in literature. Stoker has one of his characters throw a switch and turn on the electric lights, some twenty years before the electric light was invented.

No, if you have read his "Dracula," which is great novel, and want to read something else by him, then stay away from his other novels. None of which compare to "Dracula," and read his short story collection "Dracula's Guest and Other Weird Stories," which was compiled by his wife after his death.

Actually, "Dracula's Guest" was to be the opening chapter to "Dracula," before it was excised from the novel at his publisher's request.

As for Mark Twain, one of my professors in college wrote his thesis on the complete writings of Mark Twain, and he said that was the greatest mistake he ever made in school. While Twain wrote some of the greatest American novels ever written, he also wrote alot of stuff that was pure drivel, which my professor had to read.

Apparently, including a comical essay on the pleasures of masturbation. My professor never did say where that fell in Twain's writings. Where it should be included as one of Twain's great writings or included in Twain's drivel.
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2011, 02:59:55 PM »

I do'nt think I mentioned The Old Man and the Sea yet

I had to read this for a class in highschool it just bored the hell out of me

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2011, 04:51:05 PM »

Absolutely anything by Ernest Hemingway. Most over-rated writer in American history.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2013, 10:03:17 PM »

BUMP
Not gonna lie, I really haven't been reading books lately because well, I'm a visual aided type of person, meaning that the text just doesn't cut it with me.

But I'm befuddled you found Heart of Darkness and Lord of the Flies underwhelming. Those are the books you need to read as a teenager, because you'll never find them as effective at any other point in life.
I read Lord of the Flies back in 9th grade and hated it. I'm going to read Heart of Darkness later in the school year, so may be it'll be different?... Lookingup

Feel asleep while trying to read it.

yeah no.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  most hated literary works « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.