Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:47:03 PM
714223 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  What scares you the most in horror films? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What scares you the most in horror films?  (Read 7776 times)
Vik
« on: October 01, 2011, 03:38:11 AM »

For me it's probably ghosts, even if I lack a belief in their existence (because I often hear people answer serial killers, seeing they exist). For the reason that I wouldn't have a clue what to do if I actually saw a ghost, and I'm unsure how you'd defend yourself against one. Serial killers, vampires, zombies etc. can all be killed. Not so sure about ghosts.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 04:06:45 AM »

I don't get scared by the obviously supernatural. In fact, I rarely get scared at all by any movie. Wish I could, some of my fondest memories are being absolutely terrified as a child. I would love to be able to get back to that place, but that's not in the cards.

I do like the unknown and the eerie. The best example I have seen recently was the movie "The Mothman Prophecies." The Richard Gere character finds himself in a strange web of synchronicity which can not be easily explained. He's offered the choice to drag himself into it, but holds off. But the voice on the phone accurately predicts the future. That was the best example I've seen of the supernatural intruding on real life. Fantastic stuff.

But do you know what really scares me? The fragility of human life. Gets me every time. I remember watching Saving Private Ryan in the theater. Storming the beach at Normandy was one of the greatest things I've ever seen put to film, but it didn't bother me. What did bother me was one scene at the end where one of the soldiers attempts to put a "sticky bomb" on a tank. He doesn't get the timing right, and when the bomb explodes he is liquified. That scene crawled up inside my soul and died. Fragility.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Vik
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 04:49:37 AM »

I don't get scared by the obviously supernatural. In fact, I rarely get scared at all by any movie. Wish I could, some of my fondest memories are being absolutely terrified as a child. I would love to be able to get back to that place, but that's not in the cards.

Yeah, same here. But if I am it's usually ghost-stuff. Although watching some internet videos with supposed ghost sightings probably has a lot to do with it.
( http://www.xenvideo.com/2006/11/25/hitchhiker-ghost-causes-car-accident/ )
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 04:59:35 AM by Pillow » Logged
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 06:37:15 AM »

It's kind of ironic with all the supernatural beasties and gigantic monsters about, but the thing that "scares" me the most would be plain old human beings and the cruelty they can inflict on each other.  The remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre with Jessica Biels was the only movie in many years that really stressed me out.  R. Lee Ermey far more than Leatherface.  The way he could just casually scare the livin' s*** out of the characters, they might die at any second because he just wouldn't have thought anything at all of doing them in.  And I guess it's closer to our real-life experiences as well, so it has a bigger effect on us.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 10:27:34 AM »

Any thing hiding in the dark and hiding his / her face ~ there is a scene like this in The Crimson RiversBuggedout

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 11:53:11 AM »

ungodly amounts of blood make me feel somewhat nauseous

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Kaseykockroach
Cartoon Enthusiast and Muppet Fanatic
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 12:48:30 PM »

I hate jump scares. Always have, pathetic as it sounds. No matter how much I see them coming, they still work on me. I just hate being startled, even just a little. -groans-

Closetshipper.deviantart.com

"You wanna be a genius, it's easy. All you gotta say is, everything stinks. Then you're never wrong."
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 03:40:55 PM »

The Japanese pale ghost kids get to me every time...seriously creep me out.

I actually find the Wendigo, which I consider a sort of werewolf/shapeshifter, terrifying as I believe I encountered one in my youth.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Silverlady
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 05:51:57 PM »

What scares me the most are the things "you can't see".  What's making the shadows on the wall or what is it "pounding" on the closed door?  Is it the wind howling or is it something else?  Did I see a shadowy figure at the end of the dark hallway? A sudden scent of roses filling a room? Something brushed my shoulder.
The hot coffee that is now suddenly ice cold. 

Hold onto your dreams ....
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 08:35:09 PM »

Gouged eyeballs have done it for me for many, many years.. much less so recently but if I dream about it I do wake up a bit sweaty.  Or ocular trauma of any kind I guess.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 12:01:28 AM »

Then I guess you wouldn't like Dead Alive?  Question

what scares me is parasites and the feeling that someone suffering through it.

yeah no.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 01:52:26 AM »

Seen The Ruins? Not the greatest movie, in my book, but it should push your queasy buttons.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
akiratubo

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 03:16:18 AM »

Everyday things becoming terrifying.  (The friendly dog turning into a monster in The Thing.  The most frightening thing I've ever seen in a movie.)

Safe places becoming unsafe.  (That few minutes of The Strangers when the killers are trying to get in while Liv Tyler is home alone.)

Losing control of your body.  (The 1986 version of The Fly ... Bartok's fate in The Fly II even moreso.)

Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide, no way to fight back.  (The feeding frenzy in Piranha 3D.)

I'm not sure how you'd classify it but the original Terminator scares the hell out of me.  Partially, it's because he's implacable and unrelenting, but I think it's mostly because he's really good at what he does.  Sent into an unfamiliar time and place, with no resources and nothing to go on but a name, the terminator tracks down his target within a few hours.  The best the hero can come up with is to keep running and hiding for a few hours at a time before the terminator finds them again.  Even when reduced to nothing but an arm and a torso, the terminator still keeps coming and almost succeeds.  He was a truly unstoppable threat who completely outmatched the heroes.  (Contrast this to the mostly ineffective T1000 and the completely worthless TX from the later movies.)

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 03:33:57 AM »

Seen The Ruins? Not the greatest movie, in my book, but it should push your queasy buttons.

I saw Dead Alive once. I lost my appatite watching it and was a bit hungry before starting it. Never seen The Ruins.

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2011, 06:41:43 AM »

What scares me the most are the things "you can't see".  What's making the shadows on the wall or what is it "pounding" on the closed door?  Is it the wind howling or is it something else?  Did I see a shadowy figure at the end of the dark hallway? A sudden scent of roses filling a room? Something brushed my shoulder.
The hot coffee that is now suddenly ice cold.  

Well said,dear!
Tis may sound goofy,but the cheezy classic the BRAIN THAT WOULDNT DIE scared the hell outta me! The thing in the closet...and the build up to it busting down the door...me and my brothers were watching it on Shock Theater...when the monster finally broke out-my step brother Jimmy screamed and hid behind the couch! Now THATS entertainment!

Small | Large

A classic example is the pool scene in the CAT PEOPLE...
dammit! Click on the "Watch on You Tube"...it wont let me embed it...morons!

Small | Large
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 06:54:27 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  What scares you the most in horror films? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.