Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:44:25 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Are You Reading Any Comics? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Are You Reading Any Comics?  (Read 4744 times)
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Let's all be Friends.

« on: October 06, 2011, 05:00:33 PM »

I think we had this topic before, but it had been a loooonnng time since it's been around.  So, I decided to make a new one (I love making topics don't I?) and with the recent DC 52 Relaunch and few new Marvel titles, I figure it was now time to start this topic.

So, what are you reading or currently buying that is coming out?  Feel free to list and discuss them if you want.

For me, I am currently reading the following:

Punisher
Animal Man
Swamp Thing
Batman
Batwoman
Batgirl
Wonder Woman
and possibly if I can afford it Aquaman or Justice League Dark.

I'm also currently reading Batman & Robin, Green Lantern, and Green Lantern Corps in the store since I can't afford to buy them.

So, how about you guys?  What are you buying or reading?

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Olivia Bauer

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 09:04:03 PM »

I've considered reading comics but I have two fears.

1. Failing to follow continuity by buying an issue in the middle of a story arc
2. Comics cost money and I'm afraid of purchasing a very short comic, as they become basically worthless after the first read (Unless you collect them)

I can list WEBcomics I like to read. I don't know if they count but they're the closest thing.

Lackadaisy - http://www.lackadaisycats.com/
VG Cats - http://www.vgcats.com/
Slightly Damned - http://www.sdamned.com/
Sequential Art - http://www.collectedcurios.com/

I'm always looking for more if you can suggest any.

WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 09:16:40 PM »

I'm colleting most of the Green Lantern titles, including the New Guardians and Red Lanterns.  From Marvel, I'm collecting the first issues of the new Ghost rider comic to decide whether or not to continue.  It's not bad, but it seems to be one of those runs that ignores a lot of what happened in the preivous arch.  I was collecting Moon Knight for a while.  Unfortunately it got real bad in its on-going.  The one mini-series didn't look too bad, but the new one has TERRIBLE artwork that turns me off from the comic.

On the more indy side, I'm collecting the two new Godzilla series from IDW (one of those Image-lite publishers).  There not bad, but the main title: Godzilla King of the Monsters took a couple issues to really start going.

And don't worry about continuity when starting to read comics.  It's not like nobody talks or records it online.  Somebody somewhere has either written down on a messege board or wikki enough information to get you caught up.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 09:32:23 PM by WingedSerpent » Logged

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 05:22:43 PM »

I've been aiming in on the ones written for little kids so I can read them to my 5 year old.  I stay away from anything without the words "THE END" on the last page. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 05:57:05 PM »

Maus: A Survivor's Tale. I might pick up another volume of Wasteland or Sandman this weekend.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 09:32:10 PM »

Lately, I only really buy two comics on a consistent basis:
Spider-Man- I'm not sure which one it is, I just know by the cover.  Thinking it's "The Amazing" but he's got like 2-3 books out now.
The Incredible Hulk

There's a couple others I like but never really have the money to buy.  If I buy any others, it's usually just Batman or Fantastic Four.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
dean

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 10:32:45 PM »

Since Borders closed down my comic reading has stifled in regards to current titles: I would go on my lunch break, grab a few and read them as there was a Borders conveniently near my work.  I miss it terribly [but never bought any of them so I'm not surprised they went under I guess]

Not generally interested in the DC reboot especially but I'd read the usuals if I could: Batman, Batgirl etc.  Could never get into Superman.  I am excited by Batwoman though and may pick it up eventually since I really liked the last run.

Generally I'm more of a Marvel lad myself.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Vik
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 03:06:56 AM »

Generally, not really. But I love Maus, and the Sin City ones. I also read the entire Preacher series, which is likely the greatest comic I have ever read.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 11:47:07 PM »

Batman: No Man's Land, Hush

yeah no.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 03:53:01 PM »

Ye-es!

One of the old ones.

Hal Foster's "Prince Valiant"

Repulished in full color and in full Sunday comics size.

Two years accumulation for each volume. Beginning with the first one published in 1937.

The local library has the first three volumes, so I hope they buy the fourth volume in the series, which will cover the years 1943 and 1944.

Prince Valiant exists in a time just before the fall of the western Roman empire. So he comes in contact with people both factual and fictional and travels in lands both fictional and factual.

The artwork is beautiful. Probably the most beautiful I have ever seen in a comic.

The storytellling by Foster is also good, but not as good as his artwork. Some of it is quite clever, but other parts of it are of the WTF?! variety.

Still, he can give lessons to the artists and storytellers of today's comics.

Whereas, their action scenes are often so confusing, one cannot tell what is happening. His action scenes are clear and concise, so you know what is happening.

While their characters often cannot be told one from another, his characters are so individualized, each one stands out from the other.

Prince Valaint is Hal Foster and Hal Foster is the rock ribbed morality of the Canadian Maritime provinces, where he was born and raised.

Though, I would like to know what was going on through his mind, when he was drawing and writing the series. I do not think I have ever seen so much nudity in a comic from the "Golden Age" of comics. And I am not talking about female nudity. I am talking about male nudity. Much of it also involving scenes of torture.

But, still it is a series well worth reading.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 08:04:15 AM »

I have subscriptions to:

* THE MIGHTY THOR
* THE AVENGERS
* SECRET AVENGERS
* UNCANNY X-MEN
* AMAZING SPIDER-MAN
* IRON MAN
* BLACK PANTHER: THE MAN WITHOUT FEAR
* FF
* CAPTAIN AMERICA

Plus, I buy other Marvel titles "off the rack" (NEW AVENGERS, FEAR ITSELF, DAREDEVIL, and occasionally a few others).

I had subscriptions to several DC titles, but I stopped collecting them when they rebooted with all the new #1 issues.  I figured it was a good place to jump off.

I also still collect Silver and Bronze Age issues: TALES OF SUSPENSE, FANTASTIC FOUR, AVENGERS, AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, DAREDEVIL, JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA, STRANGE TALES, X-MEN, IRON MAN, CAPTAIN AMERICA, THOR, INCREDIBLE HULK, JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY, and some others, including a smattering of SUPERMAN and BATMAN titles (LOIS LANE, JIMMY OLSEN, WORLD'S FINEST, etc.)

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 01:14:24 PM »

I just finished Ultimate Origins and Secret Avengers, and I'n plowing through the "dead Batman" bound issues.

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Are You Reading Any Comics? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.