Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:43:24 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Sleep Paralysis « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Sleep Paralysis  (Read 6278 times)
Vik
« on: October 07, 2011, 12:25:10 PM »

I've been having it ample times over the last two years. Unlike a lot of people, I've never hallucinated anything frightening (except for maybe the first time when I heard a really loud noise and a vague image of some kind of monster, but it lasted for merely a few moments) because I guess that in certain ways, I kind of like the experience. Has anyone had this before?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 12:35:23 PM by Pillow » Logged
Vik
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 12:32:45 PM »

In case you're not cognizant of what sleep paralysis is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 12:39:03 PM »

Funny, I just finished reading the wikipedia article. I've never experienced it, heard about it, didn't know much about it. It seems there are alot of cultural interpretations of the cause and meaning of sleep paralysis. I've had lucid dreams before, but never sleep paralysis. I do love lucid dreams. It's great when I realize I'm dreaming and can make almost anything I want happen at will. I wish they would happen more.

Sleep paralysis, however, seems to be a frightening experience for most. I think you may be in the minority in enjoying the experience.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 12:43:19 PM »

Yes, I get it occasionally.  I feel like I'm intoxicated, buzzing, but it's not at all pleasant.  I have had lucid dreams/hallucinations together with the feeling of paralysis, and they're not fun.  The feeling of panic coupled with feeling like you've lost all control of your body is not my idea of a good time.

When I was younger I used to get a related, very convincing illusion that I was floating and having an out-of-body experience.  It came on just as I was falling asleep, exactly like the sleep paralysis.  I would feel myself floating out of my body and I could see the room I was in; my mind also seemed clearer than in a dream.  When I paid close attention to details I noticed that I really was dreaming; for example, I once noticed a poster on my wall that I didn't actually own.  The dream was so lucid, however, that the first couple of times I was convinced that it was really happening.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Vik
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 12:45:35 PM »

Funny, I just finished reading the wikipedia article. I've never experienced it, heard about it, didn't know much about it. It seems there are alot of cultural interpretations of the cause and meaning of sleep paralysis. I've had lucid dreams before, but never sleep paralysis. I do love lucid dreams. It's great when I realize I'm dreaming and can make almost anything I want happen at will. I wish they would happen more.

Sleep paralysis, however, seems to be a frightening experience for most. I think you may be in the minority in enjoying the experience.
So I hear. I was rather scared the first time it happened, but simultaneously excited about it. I immediatly looked up what it was afterwards, and realized there's not much to be scared for, and when it happens I just keep that in mind. My only worry is that it'd never stop, but that has never happened, I believe.

I've had lucid dreams a couple of times before, and loved the hell out of it. Sadly, they never lasted very long. But I've been keeping a dream journal in the hope that they will occur more often.

Yes, I get it occasionally.  I feel like I'm intoxicated, buzzing, but it's not at all pleasant.  I have had lucid dreams/hallucinations together with the feeling of paralysis, and they're not fun.  The feeling of panic coupled with feeling like you've lost all control of your body is not my idea of a good time.
I'm not sure why I like it, I suppose I just find it kind of exciting. I can definitely see why one would not share that stance.

When I was younger I used to get a related, very convincing illusion that I was floating and having an out-of-body experience.  It came on just as I was falling asleep, exactly like the sleep paralysis.  I would feel myself floating out of my body and I could see the room I was in; my mind also seemed clearer than in a dream.  When I paid close attention to details I noticed that I really was dreaming; for example, I once noticed a poster on my wall that I didn't actually own.  The dream was so lucid, however, that the first couple of times I was convinced that it was really happening.
I've been reading about "astral projecting" or an "out of body experience" lately, and it seems to be related with sleep paralysis, which is another reason it gets me sort of excited, too, even if I have never had it before. I'm not even certain if I even believe in Astral Projecting (I don't, really), I've always considered myself a monist, but I've seen and read experiences from other people that appear honest, which is making me doubt. Whatever it is, however, I'm certain there's a scientific explanation for it, even if we don't have one. IF this is a genuine phenomena, that is, and not just people confusing reality with dreams.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 12:31:16 PM by Pillow » Logged
akiratubo

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 01:15:05 PM »

I've had sleep paralysis several times.  I don't hallucinate anything although it sometimes feels like "cats" are walking on the bed.  It's scary as hell, being conscious but unable to move, or even open my eyes.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Raffine

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 01:32:43 PM »

Don't worry, fellows. Nothing to be alarmed about.

Just go back to sleep...

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 05:10:31 PM »

I have other odd things going on but no sleep paralysis.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 02:26:44 AM »

YES!!!!
 It happened to me constntly as a kid!!!
 I thought it was a ghost!
HOLY s**t!!!
 IM NOT ALONE!!!!
Dam.
I couldn't move-I was paralyzed. A dark figure was hanging over me-I heard voices-
I couldnt move! I WAS awake.
I was immobile.
But I was awake. I tried to move-it seemed like the room flashed into -I dunno-a negative? ike a photo negative? And some body was standing oer me.
I screamed-tried to.
I started up bolt right-scared s**tles. This started in 1969 and ended in 1985.
I thought it was because of ghosts or demons.
I still think it is. aint convinced otherwise. If folks can believe in God-I can believe in ghosts. I believe in the dead. But not God. Dumb.huh?

I thought I as the only one.
It only happened when I lived in the old farmhouse on 40th street (1969-1973) and the apartment above the resturant (1985) apartment.
They were haunted,I think.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 02:47:26 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 02:53:44 AM »

Dammit-it WAS ghosts! I moved from that creepy old apartment above the old resturant (Jungles Inn was the name) and it never happened agin. Hauntings are real. The joint was haunted. I found out later that 2 people had commited suicide there in 1962 and 1969.I guess it could be explaind by some weird psycho s**t.
I dont think so.
People try explain the unexplained with scientific terms.
Bulls**t.
There stisking labels on it because it makes em feel good to do so.
The Supernatral is REAL. It amazes me that folks can accept God,but not the supernatural.
Im the opposite. I dont believe in God,I do believe in "Ghosts" Ive seen them. Aint seen God.
Heard lotsa Ghost sightings-not a f**king ONE God sighting.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 03:12:50 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 12:28:50 PM »

A friend of mine suffers from sleep paralysis and often sees the so-called 'old hag' standing over him leering, which is another infamous manifestation of the condition. He has it less than he used to and has gradually figured out certain avoidable triggers, like being taking a nap during the day or letting himself get too sleepy, both of which can bring on an episode. He doesn't enjoy it at all and has described it as utterly terrifying.  It's certainly made for interesting nights. He's always looked on it from a medical/scientific point of view but across history and still today there are those who equate sleep paralysis with possession and the supernatural. I've never had sleep paralysis except for occasionally waking up just for a second and being unable to move, which I think isn't uncommon, but I've had night terrors from time to time and those are no fun.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 01:15:10 PM »

Of course I can be totaly illusional...I just might be crazy. And this is all a pigment of me imagicnation!

Small | Large

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2011, 01:21:09 PM »

Or delusional!
Small | Large

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 12:19:07 AM »

I've had it on a few occasions but two I remember vividly. Honestly I'm still not completely convinced it was sleep paralysis and not ghostly visitation. Anyways on both occasions I felt like I was pinned down by something and of course I couldn't move and felt like I was battling just to breathe, to survive, to move, to scream but I couldn't as something was pressing down on top of me. In one, it was a sheet covered ghost where somehow I got the strength to grab the sheet and pull it off only to reveal nothing underneath and just as I did I was violently thrown back against the bed so much so I cut my hand on the bed frame. On another occasion, I was visited by the Old Hag, an hideous looking old woman who's apparently quite common in Newfoundland given reports. This was extremely frightening as I could hear her snickering and evil, twisted laughing as she slowly approached scratching the walls and door with her long nails until she finally peeked around the door scary enough looking to give someone with a weak heart an heart attack when, in a sudden flash of light like time sped up, where she seemingly disappeared and reappeared she had suddenly darted feverlishly across the room and landed on my chest trying to smother the life out of me, it was the greatest struggle to get myself to breathe and fight her off. I find though sleep paralysis, if that is what it was, is much more common if one sleeps on one's back.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 12:23:36 AM by JaseSF » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 02:57:01 AM »

I only had the "waking up but not really waking up" experience once, that I can recall. I thought I had woken up, and then I looked at my closet, which had the stereotypical pile of clothing that looks like a person in it. Once I noticed it, it then shot at me like some sort of dementor. Then I woke up.

I do often get the illusion that I can "see" my room with my eyes closed. This often ties into the "floating" illusion.

I have extremely vivid dreams quite often. They're usually weird and sort of disturbing, and when I am in the midst of them, they are very hard to distinguish from reality.

But, like Pillow, as unsettling as they are, I kind of enjoy the experience. Despite the anxiety, which I think is a physiological thing, I find them pretty interesting.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Sleep Paralysis « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.