Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:43:27 PM
713368 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  5 Documentaries To See With Some Guy « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 5 Documentaries To See With Some Guy  (Read 5143 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« on: September 27, 2011, 04:55:49 PM »

I'm submitting this to the hipster publication Street Carnage so sorry if it's extra annoying.

5 Documentaries To See With Some Guy  

Morgan Spurlocks 50 documentaries to see before you die = a failed presidential candidate’s power point presentation about the environment, 10 different Michael Moore movies, stuff you’ve been meaning to see since it came out 20 years ago out but never got around to it because it looks boring, Spurlocks own movie, and… alot of stuff you don’t have to see before you die because you’ve already seen ‘em. No it was good, but check out a few of these too.

1. Waiting for Nesara (2006) 77 minutes

Small | Large

“The day of deliverance that’s talked about by all the prophesies is upon us”  

Nesara started as a nondescript right wing tax reform proposal called the National Economic Security and Reformation Act.  Somehow, someone took it and combined it with various far out internet type conspiracies about aliens, 9/11, The Bush family etc and made it into a new form of Christianity that’s allegedly practiced all around the world. The ones we meet are in Utah and meet in a room in a KFC. As you may have noticed in the trailer, Col Sanders actually figures into their iconography.

wikipedia has some more detailed info like:

”Some NESARA supporters also make the claim that otherworldly beings are working to get NESARA announced. These include a “channeled” cosmic being called “Hatonn”[30] ( a Pleiadean ), and another named Sananda. According to some Ascended Master Teaching proponents such as Joshua David Stone and Luis Prada, Sananda is the “galactic name” of Ascended Master Jesus, which he uses in his role as Commander-in-Chief of the Ashtar Command flying saucer fleet. Ashtar ( Ashtar Sheran ) is regarded in these teachings as being second-in-command.[31]Saint Germain, an Ascended Master borrowed from the I AM Movement and the Church Universal and Triumphant, along with benevolent aliens from the Galactic Federation, are also frequently mentioned ( most prominently by Nidle ) as working towards the NESARA announcement. The designation of George W. Bush as a disguised reptilian often co-occurs with this claim.[32] Goodwin has claimed that Ascended Master Saint Germain has come down from the etheric plane to physically meet with heads of banks and world leaders regarding the NESARA announcement.[33][34]“

If that sounds up your alley definitely check for a local meet up/ groupon offer. Or just watch this and send them all your money.  

(note: Director Zeb Haradon also directed “Elevator movie” which is basically the best student film of all time. A horny introverted guy and a repulsed normal girl get stuck in an elevator for 6 months. How they go to the bathroom or eat is just not dealt with. It’s awesome, kind of like that episode of Sea Lab when they’re trapped in the closet, crossed with the Twilight Zone, as written by a hungover Louis CK. )

Waiting for Nesara- 4/5

Elevator Movie 5/5  

The Wheelie King- The Doug Domokos Story (2007) 51 minutes
Small | Large

”He took the wheelie to a higher level and thousands followed in his path”

This fine American did wheelies, notably as an opener for Evil Knievil and a few times on  “That’s Incredible!”.  That’s Incredible! was a big deal when I was a kid (the early 1800’s). My neighbors friend was on once because he could say all the states and rivers in 30 seconds or something. Domokos is way better than that kid. He wheelies for 3 hours or something once, gets 12 people on a 3 wheeler and does a wheelie, invents this cage thing so he can do somersaults, and then the showstopper, the 30 foot high wire wheelie!    

He wrote a book about wheelies. He just lived the wheelie. One interesting fact:  the man could not ride a bicycle much less do a wheelie on one.  No I’m kidding, I’m sure he could.

5/5  

Chi guy: weapon of mass decibals (2008) 60 minutes

Small | Large

I was looking at the very last pages of the netflix documentary section and found this. It was the lowest one there that was remotely watcheable / it wasn’t about some national park or World War 2 missile or something. Chi Guy is ( and still is last time I checked) a colorful/ annoying fixture at a bar in Pittsburgh called the Smiling Moose. He does all the stuff to get his chi going then he releases it with a yell. He claims these chi powered bellows are the strongest, loudest in the world. Maybe they are, who knows.

The worst parts are him prattling on about how great he is which he does all the time, especially in the begining. "Chi Guy" grows on you though. I liked when he rounded up some local rocker chicks from the bar to be his “tai chi girls” and taught them his crazy moves and they all did the yelling. I 'd never really seen Pittsburgh before either.  It’s like one of those 10 minute things current tv used to have dragged out for an hour.  4/5    

Derby (1971) -  93 minutes

Small | Large

This is the love it or hate it one of the bunch. “Derby” started out as a straightforward documentary about Roller Derby, a colorful fake-seeming sport that’s fun to watch for about 20 seconds, but the director ended up focusing more on Mike Snell, a somewhat cocky young guy who wants to quit his job and make it big in the derby world. The movie ends up being mostly about him but heres lots of roller derby stuff too. I think the ratio is just right, but other people seem to really dislike Snell and /or want more Roller Derby. It tanked, I believe.

It very much has the feel of a “found film” which is sort of is, just recently rereleased by Code Red.  Here’s a Roger Ebert review from 1972 http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/19720615/REVIEWS/206150301/10235/5   (He liked it)

5/5

Plan 9 from Syracuse (2007) - 99 minutes

Small | Large

The Plan is a guy named Ryan Dacko is going to run from Syracuse to Hollywood to impress billionaire Mark Cuban into funding his movie. Its clear that there’s no actual agreement between them and it’s certainly hard to believe a shrewd businessman such as Cuban would back a project just based on it’s creators enthusiasm for it.  Some combination of hope and stupidty drives the project, like many before it.

Though he has an amazing constitution (he's basically doing a marathon every day) running across the continental United States is actually really hard. Weather and injuries take their toll and there’s not much reaction from the press ,Mark Cuban, or anyone besides his handful of online supporters. The final result is maybe not as significant as "Harlan County USA" or "The Thin Blue line" but probably alot better than the movie he wants to make in the first place. This has nothing to do with “Plan 9 from Outer Space” so don’t watch it expecting to see Tor Johnson, Vampira or hubcap flying saucers  

5/5

« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 12:49:02 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 02:34:32 PM »

Interesting list.  Glad to see Zeb's movie made it (even though I haven't seen it).  I think that you should add a sentence or two to the introduction explaining why an expansion to Spurolck's list is necessary, or why alternate list needs to exist.  Point out what it is about all these movies that unites them (low budget? odd subject matter?) and why you've grouped them together.  Other than that I like it.  Stuff that's too obscure even for me!

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 08:42:23 AM »

thanks for the tip. Brevity is something I strive for. I didn't even want to have an intro but the guy wanted one.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 02:17:50 AM »

To add to your list:

The Emperor's Naked Army Marches On

Basically, the documentary follows a very unstable Japanese gentleman named Kenzo Okuzaki, who has spent much of the years previous to the film driving an automobile festooned with anti-Emperor rhetoric while bullhorning his views into passersby.

Okuzaki is on a personal crusade to hold his former commanders to account for the inhuman conditions of the Japanese occupation of New Guinea. Namely, the instances of cannibalism that occurred during that period, of both American and Japanese soldiers, referred to white and black "pigs."

Now, I'm not denying his complaints, but Okuzaki is certifiable. The most jaw-dropping scene in the documentary is where Okuzaki visits the home of one of his former commanders (both men are now considerably aged). At one point Okuzaki literally attacks his former commander and ends up on top of him trying to punch out the truth.

This is the documentary as lunacy. It crosses so many journalistic lines, I'm not even sure you can call it a documentary proper. It ends up being a character study of a deeply troubled man as it is an expose of the horrid position of the Japanese army in WWII, which as history shows was no picnic (no pun intended).

Is it good? No, not really, or not for me to say. But just jaw-dropping insanity. Worth watching once just to see it.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 08:55:08 AM »

That sounds like an early contender for 5 MORE documentaries to see with some guy!
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 09:20:34 AM »

http://streetbonersandtvcarnage.com/blog/open-mic-5-documentaries-to-see-with-some-guy/

They edited it ALOT, but cool that it's there.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 11:26:00 AM »

Congrats!  I see they took out the part about ELEVATOR MOVIE, which I can understand because it's off topic.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  5 Documentaries To See With Some Guy « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.