Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 12:15:13 AM
714253 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Question on guns (film related) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Question on guns (film related)  (Read 3921 times)
BTM
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: October 09, 2011, 11:29:29 PM »

So, how many of you have seen this in a movie: hero is making a heroic stand, blasting away with his gun (sometimes one in each hand), he ejects the clip(s), slaps in some new ones and then fires away without pause.

Wait a sec... wouldn't you have to pull back the breech (that's what you call it right, breech?) in order to chamber another round?  Unless I suppose, the good guy is keeping careful count of his shots and leaves one bullet left before reloading.

Course, a friend of mine who knows guns a bit better than I do, says that some guns are autoloaders, so you could just slam in another clip and keep going.  

I know there's a lot of military guys here, so can anyone fill me in?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 07:06:09 PM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
akiratubo

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 12:24:36 AM »

First off, they're called "magazines".  "Clips" are simple metal strips used to load magazines.

The thing he's pulling back to chamber a round would be a "charging handle" for an auto rifle, a "bolt" for a bolt-action rifle, or the "slide" for a pistol.  The "breech" is the rear part of the barrel, where the cartridge goes in.

To answer your question, if there was still a round chambered the hero wouldn't have to cycle the action when reloading.  If he ran out, most automatic firearms lock the action open after the last round has fired.  He'd just have to hit the bolt release (rifle) or slingshot the slide (pistol) to get going again.  A bolt-action rifle has to be cycled every time, of course, and a revolver is always ready to go as soon as it's loaded.  An open bolt firearm (like a Mac 10) doesn't require complete cycling.  The charging handle just needs to be pulled back.  If the trigger wasn't pulled on an empty chamber, the bolt will already be back, in which case the hero can just shove in a new mag and start shooting.  However, unless he was being very careful, he probably held it down too long (on a full auto, 'cause everyone carries around full auto weapons, you know) or pulled it one too many times (for a semi-auto) and would need to pull the bolt back.

Your friend was probably talking about open-bolt firearms.  For a gun to automatically chamber a round, it would have to have an external power source.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolt_action
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas-operated_reloading
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recoil_operation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_bolt
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed_bolt

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 07:56:50 AM »

Not to mention that in real life the hero would experience recoil every time he pulled the trigger and would not be able to hold a weapon steady enough in each hand to pick off dozens of enemies with precision accuracy.  But I guess action movies would be pretty dull if these scenes were filmed realistically.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
BTM

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 07:10:54 PM »

Thanks for the info guys.

If anyone's curious, two scenes I'm thinking of in particular are Talahassee's last stand in Zombieland, and Hit Girl from Kickass.  Dunno what weapons either were carrying.  Kickass I'd give a pass to, as it's a comic book movie, and Zombieland, well, Tallahassee falls under "Rule of Cool" so he can do the dual weilding thing. 

:)

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 07:56:26 PM »

Spot on, akiraturbo, and he beat me to it.

Zombieland features a scene at the end where Woody Harrelson has a bunch of magazines lined up, standing up, and he fires until the guns are presumably empty, drops the magazines out, brings the guns down to load the magazines that are standing up, and then continues to fire. I'm pretty certain that the slides are still forward when he does this, which drives me nuts. Because, just as akiraturbo mentioned, the only way this is possible is if he still had a round in the chamber prior to ejecting and inserting the new magazines. This would assume that he was keeping track of how many rounds had been fired, which is a ridiculous notion given the circumstances of the scene. Then again, maybe the character was just that cool-headed.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Flangepart

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 11:48:04 AM »

The hero needs a +9 for coordination and focus to pull that off. If he can, he's the hero.
Many semiautos do have a slide hold-open, so the insertion of a new mag will cause it to chamber the top round, and you're on your way. But yeah, if the slide is closed, they need to rack it to chamber the first round.

Also, as Akiratubo noted, clips are not magazines.
An M-1 Garand uses clips. That's why the eight rounds are exposed, as the enbloc clip just holds them together. A magazine protects the cartridges except for the top round, and that allows for large, dependable stacks of rounds to use.
A machine gun belt is a really long clip, when you think about it. be it disintigreating link or cloth belt (Old school) it exposes the cartridges, which is why MG guys are always focused on keeping them clean, unless you have a semi-ridged bag like you seen under an M240 or M243. That or the drum mag used on the German MG-34.

And on that note...
Small | Large
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 11:51:37 AM by Flangepart » Logged

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 10:16:05 AM »

The hero needs a +9 for coordination and focus to pull that off. If he can, he's the hero.
Many semiautos do have a slide hold-open, so the insertion of a new mag will cause it to chamber the top round, and you're on your way. But yeah, if the slide is closed, they need to rack it to chamber the first round.

Also, as Akiratubo noted, clips are not magazines.
An M-1 Garand uses clips. That's why the eight rounds are exposed, as the enbloc clip just holds them together. A magazine protects the cartridges except for the top round, and that allows for large, dependable stacks of rounds to use.
A machine gun belt is a really long clip, when you think about it. be it disintigreating link or cloth belt (Old school) it exposes the cartridges, which is why MG guys are always focused on keeping them clean, unless you have a semi-ridged bag like you seen under an M240 or M243. That or the drum mag used on the German MG-34.

And on that note... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzmVJ1rXD9U

On a related note, I was puzzled by something I saw in Gran Torino. Clint Eastwood's character owns and old M1 Garand, and actually the eight-round "bundle," for lack of a better word. I was wondering when I watched that film, do those still exist? The eight-round bundles, that is. It got me to wondering if the character just had a bunch left over from the old days or if somebody still actually makes them, or if he made them himself.

Flangepart

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 11:47:44 AM »

Flick: I have an Enblock 'Bundle' bought at a gun show. I loaded it with 30.06 hoping to get to shoot an M-1, but now it's just a historical piece, but yeah a gun show will have them.

Oh, and never mess with an old lady in a wheelchair with an MP-40...no, really...
Small | Large
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 11:56:54 AM by Flangepart » Logged

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 12:39:27 PM »

This bugs me....

There were revolvers made to use silencers, but generally not the ones you see on tv.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 09:33:48 PM »

Human heads work really well as silencers.

akiratubo

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 10:17:39 PM »

On a related note, I was puzzled by something I saw in Gran Torino. Clint Eastwood's character owns and old M1 Garand, and actually the eight-round "bundle," for lack of a better word. I was wondering when I watched that film, do those still exist?

En bloc clips?  Yeah, you can still get them.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MAG2450-1.html

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 04:49:08 PM »

Of course, there was Rambo, firing the M-60 with the ammo belt wrapped around his neck....

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
Menard
Bad Movie Lover

I Am Vitriol...When You Say My Name You Praise Me

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 05:02:50 PM »

If you feel the need to go around in life, and forum posts, pointing out the distinction between clips and magazines, you seriously need to get laid...

...just sayin'  Wink

Jim H

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 08:48:01 PM »

One small note: a number of high quality pistols (like the H&K USP) will automatically release the slide if you slam the magazine in with a bit of force.  It's intended to absolutely minimize reload time.
joejoe
If it's bad, I'll watch it
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 05:45:07 AM »

the old soviet Nagant revolver can be used with a silence because of the gas seal system of the cylinder to the forcing cone.

the revolver is over a hundred years old and is still in use over there

when in doubt,  plan E.   EXPLOSIVES!!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Question on guns (film related) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.