Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:03:29 AM
713329 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  So who do you like for President? (Obviously, a political thread!) « previous next »
Poll
Question: If the Election were held today, which of the candidates would you support?  (Voting closed: November 09, 2011, 11:40:18 PM)
NONE OF THEM! They're all stooges! - 7 (30.4%)
Obama!  He's earned 4 more years! - 4 (17.4%)
Romney.  He looks Presidential. - 1 (4.3%)
Rick Perry is the man! - 0 (0%)
Ron Paul - the only choice! - 4 (17.4%)
Herman Cain - he can do it! - 2 (8.7%)
Michelle Bachmann - 0 (0%)
Newt Gingrich - 0 (0%)
John Huntsman - 2 (8.7%)
Gary Johnson (the "shovel ready" guy - 0 (0%)
Bill and Opus in 2012! - 3 (13%)
Total Voters: 22

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: So who do you like for President? (Obviously, a political thread!)  (Read 16645 times)
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2011, 12:22:27 PM »

Thanks for all the responses!
And I will respond to what Derf and Flick commented about education:
Perry has been governor for 10 years here in Texas.  By and large, he has been good for the state overall, and he is especially good at job creation.  This last time around,  education funding was a huge issue, and the teacher's unions wouldn't compromise.  Three were things that could have been done that weren't, and the blame was on both sides.  Perry didn't handle it as well as he could have, but to lay all the blame on him is to ignore the facts.
I teach in a private school.  As I look at our public schools, I see a host of problems and a lot of corruption; things that Teacher's Unions have steadfastly opposed reforming because they would demand greater accountability from educators.  So I can at least understand why many conservatives, Perry included, get very frustrated in dealing with the educational system - especially when the NEA has become such a HUGE cash cow for the opposition.

Overall, however, Perry has been a positive force for Texas, in my opinion, and his greatest strengths lie in areas where the country could use some better leadership right now.  Again, all that being said, at the moment I am sure impressed with Herman Cain.  He seems genuine and refreshing in his approach.

Keep on voting, guys!

I've never understood what one means when they say that a politician "created" jobs. The only way government can create jobs is by expanding the public sector, by expanding the size of government. I am immediately suspect when a politician talks about creating jobs. Just focus on education and infrastructure, and let the businesses create the jobs. It's like Obama, who sounds soooooo convincing and passionate when he says "pass this jobs bill now!" Yeah? What's in it? How does is "create" jobs, might I ask? And honestly, I'm almost in favor of people voting LESS. I respect the voting process, but very few others do. 90% of voters vote with their "feelings," how well they speak, and of course, what the mass media tells them they should feel about the candidate. If that wasn't the case, politics wouldn't such a dirty, negative-campaigning, image game.

If you don't know why you're voting, then DON'T VOTE!
It's funny and yet sad...Perry claims to have such a fine record on creating jobs yet unemployment is still high. One way he tried to create jobs was to shove the Trans Texas Corridor down our throats where they would greatly expand I-35. This would entail using the Eminent Domain our Stupid...Supreme...Court agreed was legal then the jobs of contructing it would go to a firm in Spain. How would seizing property and giving work to Spain help us?

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2011, 12:42:34 PM »

Well, according to The Rolling Stones Magazine, the GOP tried to rig the Electoral College in Pennsylvania, so they don't get my vote for being wusses. Sorry, but that's just childish. Lookingup
I'll just vote for George Clooney. TongueOut

yeah no.
tracy

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2011, 12:49:32 PM »

I'd vote for Pat Paulson if he were still around. Wink

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2011, 12:51:31 PM »

Well, according to The Rolling Stones Magazine, the GOP tried to rig the Electoral College in Pennsylvania, so they don't get my vote for being wusses. Sorry, but that's just childish. Lookingup

I'm not saying that rigging elections is acceptable. It's downright reprehensible. It ain't nothin' new, however. They used to rig elections in the old days by having people vote multiple times. People would vote, go and change their appearance, and come back and vote again. Candidates for office sometimes even had thugs go around and force people to vote multiple times, or against their will.

In my opinion, any candidate who is caught rigging or attempting to rig an election should be banned from holding ANY office, I find it that reprehensible. However, modern rigging schemes are nothing compared to the old days.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
tracy

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2011, 12:59:48 PM »

I'm not saying that rigging elections is acceptable. It's downright reprehensible. It ain't nothin' new, however. They used to rig elections in the old days by having people vote multiple times. People would vote, go and change their appearance, and come back and vote again. Candidates for office sometimes even had thugs go around and force people to vote multiple times, or against their will.

In my opinion, any candidate who is caught rigging or attempting to rig an election should be banned from holding ANY office, I find it that reprehensible. However, modern rigging schemes are nothing compared to the old days.
This is one of the reasons I feel that the Electorial Collegs has outlived its usefullness. The president should be elected by direct popular vote...in my humble opinion.

El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2011, 01:06:27 PM »

This is one of the reasons I feel that the Electorial Collegs has outlived its usefullness. The president should be elected by direct popular vote...in my humble opinion.
DAMN RIGHT!!!!!!!!

yeah no.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2011, 11:32:12 PM »

That would mean that New York, Texas, and California would pretty much choose every President.  I'm a Texan, but I still don't like that idea.  I'm a big believer in Federalism, and the Electoral College was made to reflect that - to give smaller states at least something of a voice beyond their population. 

That being said, if we did not change the electoral system after the boondoggle in 2000, I don't think we ever will.

Also, to be perfectly honest, I do believe there is such a thing as too much democracy. We are, after all, a Republic.  If it were not prone to such vile manipulation by both sides, I would still favor a literacy test for voters.  I mean, do we really want someone who CAN'T EVEN READ to have a voice in choosing the leader of the free world?  The less stupid people go to the polls, the more intelligent the eventual choice becomes.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Couchtr26

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2011, 11:46:50 PM »

Not really thinking about it at the moment and so none are really appealing to me. 

Ah, the good old days.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2011, 01:41:01 PM »

That would mean that New York, Texas, and California would pretty much choose every President.  I'm a Texan, but I still don't like that idea.  I'm a big believer in Federalism, and the Electoral College was made to reflect that - to give smaller states at least something of a voice beyond their population. 

That being said, if we did not change the electoral system after the boondoggle in 2000, I don't think we ever will.

Also, to be perfectly honest, I do believe there is such a thing as too much democracy. We are, after all, a Republic.  If it were not prone to such vile manipulation by both sides, I would still favor a literacy test for voters.  I mean, do we really want someone who CAN'T EVEN READ to have a voice in choosing the leader of the free world?  The less stupid people go to the polls, the more intelligent the eventual choice becomes.

I've had and idea about electoral reform that mirrors some of what you've said. I may have to PM you and see what you think.

Also, I agree about the electoral college, for exactly those reasons.

There is no perfect election process. It doesn't exist. We do what we can to accomodate the democratic process with this rather large population.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Raffine

« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2011, 04:26:51 PM »

Jon Huntsman seems like a reasonable, intelligent person with a sense of humor.

The guy doesn't stand a chance.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2011, 04:32:56 PM »

I mean, do we really want someone who CAN'T EVEN READ to have a voice in choosing the leader of the free world?  The less stupid people go to the polls, the more intelligent the eventual choice becomes.
Not many people who are able to vote are literate.... Lookingup

yeah no.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2011, 09:32:10 PM »

Just curious - why do you say that?

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2011, 09:25:44 AM »

I think Cain is able.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Raffine

« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2011, 09:26:08 AM »

Small | Large

Democrats: "WE ACCEPT IT!"
Republicans: "WE REJECT IT!"

Some things never change...

Raffine

« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2011, 09:42:43 AM »

Small | Large

Not surprisingly, the Fleischer's original version is much more cutting edge and gritty.

Watching this 1932 short again it can be seen a slam against the proposed social policies of FDR, i.e. the carpeting over of the bad roads, the treatment of the condemned prisoner, the limo treatment for the incompetent street sweeper, etc. Note the beer mug at the end promising the end of prohibition!

I wonder if this came out before the general election between Hoover and Roosevelt in an attempt to sway Betty Boop fans to reelect Hoover.
Just kidding... TeddyR

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  So who do you like for President? (Obviously, a political thread!) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.