Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 09:52:06 AM
714153 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Singin' in the Rain (1952) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Singin' in the Rain (1952)  (Read 2732 times)
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« on: October 10, 2011, 04:10:35 AM »

I've previously gone on record that I don't like musicals. But I do watch anything, especially movies that people think are significant. Singin' in the Rain is one of those, and its reputation is that it is one of the few movies that communicates pure joy.

Well, I watched it, and I can't really argue with that viewpoint.

I didn't love it. I found a few of its musical interludes boring, and I have a severe antipathy to any movie that is about the entertainment industry, but this movie was actually pretty good. I enjoyed watching it. It's good goofy fun, and a fun exploration of the transition from silent films to talkies.

So here's a few disillusioned hipster observations:

It shocked me how much Gene Kelly reminded me of Phil Hartman. Phil Hartman made a lot of headway playing this big toothy entertainer character which is a direct continuation of the work Gene Kelly did in Singin' in the Rain. I mean that in the most complimentary of ways. He didn't have the dance chops, and I loved the goofy tap-dance vaudeville that Kelly and his partner, Donald O'Connor, did in this film. That really was fantastic.

Speaking of Donald O'Connor, "Make 'Em Laugh" is an incredible number. The entire number is great, but there is one moment that made me laugh like a maniac. It isn't him jumping off the walls, it's the one moment where he spins around on the floor laughing like a maniac, which is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

You can see it here at 3:13:

Small | Large

I'm pretty sure I'll be laughing at that until the day I die.

But the rest of the movie isn't all that bad either. The "Gotta' Dance" finale number bored me, but if you don't appreciate Gene Kelly stamping through rain puddles during the title song, I'm pretty sure you have no soul.

So, a good movie that deserves its accolades.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 07:52:45 AM »

This is one of my favorite musicals.  My wife and I saw a live stage production of it a few years ago.  It wasn't as good as the movie, but it was still very entertaining.  It was presented in a "theater in the round" format, but they still managed to have real water rain down on the stage.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 12:35:59 PM »

I saw this on DVD a few weeks back and enjoyed the hell out of it. As something of a bonus to me when the title song was being sung I couldn't help but picture that scene from A Clockwork Orange.

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 12:31:49 PM »

I adore musicals and this one is a good one. Thumbup

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
Silverlady
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 03:28:57 PM »

I love this one!  Makes me want to run through puddles  TeddyR

Hold onto your dreams ....
Jim H

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 06:29:24 PM »

I remember being bored out of my mind with the exception of a few bits when I saw this in a class.  I've been thinking about giving it another shot though.

My favorite bit of trivia is apparently Gene Kelly could be a real bastard, and once yelled at Debbie Reynolds for failing to dance.  And apparently Fred Astaire helped her out with it, and she improved.  Good stuff.
Raffine

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 02:39:42 PM »

The phrase "I ciiin't stan'im!" is an old running joke with my family.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Singin' in the Rain (1952) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.