Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:03:34 AM
714351 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  That Perfect Shot/Sequence « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: That Perfect Shot/Sequence  (Read 6133 times)
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« on: October 10, 2011, 11:57:55 AM »

There are times when one is absolutely overwhelmed by a moment in a film, a shot or sequence done so well that only something very extreme would distract the viewer's gaze. Sometimes these shots or sequences are seemless, and only film students or critics would really notice the mechanics involved. Sometimes they even get overlooked because of their subtle success. And, of course, sometimes they are plain to see and go down in history as one of those iconic moments.

This thread is about ANY of them. I was inspired to start this thread because of a particular shot I saw in the film The Ides of March that is currently in theatres that really impressed me. The shot falls into that category of shots that will never go down in history, but was done so well that it acheived being the pivotal moment in the story that it was intended to be.

The shot in question involved a moment in the film where Ryan Gosling is sitting in a car after an extremely big reveal in the story. It is raining heavily outside. He is emotionally affected by the event, and his eyes are on the verge of welling up into tears. The tears don't quite come. Instead, we see the raindrops falling down the windshield silouetted against his face. This shot was sublimely suggestive. The silouetted raindrops suggests the character's desire to succumb to emotion in a world of high-stakes politics where every moment of his life must be spent carefully weighing even the tiniest of choices. In that moment, it is as if tears are rolling uncontrollably, yet simultaneously we see that in the actors eyes are only the slightest hint of tears that never come. I'm not saying that this technique has never been used. I'm sure it has. I'm just saying that it was perfectly pulled off in this example.

In the big scheme of things, this shot will probably not be mentioned by anybody. I was simply very struck by it sitting in the theatre.

In any event, this thread is dedicated to great shots and sequences, big or small, famous or forgotten, fantastic or subtle, in film.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Hammock Rider

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 08:46:25 AM »

I like those kind of scenes FJ, they add a little something extra to film.

The first scene that came to mind when I read the title of this thread was a scene from the movie The Protector, which I just watched the other day. It's a restaurant fight scene and is suppossedly the longest one take fight scene in film history.

Small | Large

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 09:24:43 AM »

A bit of a cliche, but it really is amazing.

Small | Large

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 11:42:26 AM »

A couple of examples.

The Shining (1980): I think most will agree that the steadi-cam shot following the kid on the bigwheel is amazing. So perfectly done and chilling, along with the sound, really demonstrates the emptiness and isolation of the family in the Overlook Hotel. The camera tracks the bigwheel so perfectly.

Small | Large

The Player (1992): Funny Rev should mention Touch of Evil. The Player has an opening tracking shot (posted below) that lasts 7:47 minutes. The shot was an intentional homage and the film even gets mentioned by one of the characters. Fred Ward is complaining that films these days are edited too heavily, always cut, cut, cut. Even with that hint, the average viewer may not pick up that there has been no cuts for almost 8 minutes. I can't even imagine how long it would take to prepare for such a shot.

Small | Large

Vik
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 12:28:04 PM »

A lot of PTA's stuff, but the opening shot in Boogie Nights baffles me everything.
major jay

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 03:36:21 PM »

The scene where the first zombie shows up in LET SLEEPING CORPSES LIE. The setup, attack and escape are just done great. Unfortunately this clip is missing the setup.

i87Y67XCpHc&feature=related

zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 05:54:06 PM »

first thing that comes to mind:

Small | Large

nice idea for a thread, I'll to make time to watch all the ones posted at some point

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 05:57:06 PM »

also the 'kitchen scene' from Goodfellas. amazing one take extended shot going from outside to the stand-up comedian starting

Small | Large

- and a bit of trivia, the only reason this exists is because the film crew wasn't allowed to go through the front entrance of the building as originally intended!

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 06:13:40 PM »

also the 'kitchen scene' from Goodfellas. amazing one take extended shot going from outside to the stand-up comedian starting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAWkwpHfBwY

- and a bit of trivia, the only reason this exists is because the film crew wasn't allowed to go through the front entrance of the building as originally intended!

Fantastic shot, and I thought about that one too. Just didn't get around to posting it. Many of the examples posted are just what I'm talking about. They are the shots and sequences that are so good that they keep your eyes glued to the action. The Goodfellas stedi-cam shot does this.

There are other shots in that film that are great. There's another steadi-cam shot that goes from face to face in the restaurant they all hung out at, where Henry Hill is talking about all the wiseguys from the area. That's quite an extended single shot as well.

Another one is the slow-motion shot of Joe Pesci firing several shots of his semi-auto pistol. The slow-motion was slow enough that we see Pesci's cheeks quiver from the recoil of the gun, and the gun's slider moving back and forward.

That film is just jam packed with great shots.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 06:56:58 PM »

This scene from The BIRDS....

gives me the creeps.

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 07:09:28 PM »

Small | Large

Another perfect opening scene.  (Don't know why the uploader included the extra 30 seconds at the end).

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 07:24:26 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM975_Ld9S0

Another perfect opening scene.  (Don't know why the uploader included the extra 30 seconds at the end).

I love Blue Velvet. I consider Mulholland Drive my favorite DL film, but Blue Velvet is so close that it's almost a tie. I don't know much about the technical side of filmmaking, don't know much about film stock or DP techniques, but there's just something about the way Blue Velvet was filmed that makes it so eerie and dreamlike. That entire scene with Dean Stockwell lipsyncing Roy Orbison's "In Dreams" is just mindblogglingly effective.

major jay

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 01:52:48 PM »

This is just one of those scenes that has always stuck with me.

vnVFZIByQHY
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 02:30:15 PM by major jay » Logged

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 04:08:16 PM »

I love this surreal "drunk" scene from MEAN STREETS:

Small | Large

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 07:35:03 PM »

This is just one of those scenes that has always stuck with me.

vnVFZIByQHY

SVENGALI is agreat-and it seems little remebered film.

I like Toku's search for the grave in the GOOD,the BAD and the UGLY.

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  That Perfect Shot/Sequence « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.