Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:45:20 AM
714325 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  WTF is with The Demon (1981)? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: WTF is with The Demon (1981)?  (Read 6120 times)
Mike Justice
Dedicated Viewer

« on: October 04, 2011, 04:24:02 PM »

Okay, so I've seen a few posts about this in other threads, but I have some specific questions about this film.  I understand Trevor is something of an expert on it.  I'm hoping perhaps he may have posed my exact questions (or variations thereof) to Mr. Percival Rubens himself before he passed on.  I'm curious about THE DEMON because it was the first horror film I ever saw.  It's like losing your virginity to a creepy, ugly babysitter with no social skills -- you'll always wanna know what she's up to, and what her problem was.

What's up with the sea? Did the Demon come from the sea?  Where did the Demon come from?  Was he actually a demon? 

Why was one of the girls American and the other South African?  Was the South African one trying to do an American accent?  Was it supposed to take place in South Africa or "America?"  Was the South African girl visiting the American one or vice versa?

Why were the stories so tangentially related?  Was it organic to the script, or reworked to fit the actors' schedules? 

Why did the naked broad put a shower curtain and shower cap on at the end?  What exactly happened at the end? Why did the demon turn into a plastic mask and bad wig after the girl stabbed him?

Was the randomness of the plot a creative choice on the part of Percival Rubens to be ambiguous and mysterious, or was it just bad filmmaking?  Likewise, was the darkness a creative choice on the part of the DP to be spooky, or just bad filmmaking?  Is the tackiness and rough-hewn appearance of the film due to a bad print circulating around the US, or did it always look like that?  What's the difference between the version widely available on video, and the one in the SA archives?

Was Percival Rubens happy with the way the film was received?  Did he make out like a bandit, or was he miffed that it didn't do better?  How successful was it, exactly?

What's an underpants archivist?  Do you archive underpants in film, or underpants in person?
JPickettIII
A BAD MOVIE IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE!
Bad Movie Lover

HELP! WE ARE STUCK IN A GOOD MOVIE!!!

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 04:54:45 PM »

Are you talking about this movie?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074390/

Never seen it, but it looks interesting.

I will keep an eye out on this thread.

Later,

John

\\\\\\\"Freedom is not free\"\\\\\\ or ///\"Where ever you go, there you are!\"///
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 03:31:47 AM »

Okay, so I've seen a few posts about this in other threads, but I have some specific questions about this film.  I understand Trevor is something of an expert on it.  I'm hoping perhaps he may have posed my exact questions (or variations thereof) to Mr. Percival Rubens himself before he passed on.  I'm curious about THE DEMON because it was the first horror film I ever saw.  It's like losing your virginity to a creepy, ugly babysitter with no social skills -- you'll always wanna know what she's up to, and what her problem was.

What's up with the sea? Did the Demon come from the sea?  Where did the Demon come from?  Was he actually a demon? 

Why was one of the girls American and the other South African?  Was the South African one trying to do an American accent?  Was it supposed to take place in South Africa or "America?"  Was the South African girl visiting the American one or vice versa?

Why were the stories so tangentially related?  Was it organic to the script, or reworked to fit the actors' schedules? 

Why did the naked broad put a shower curtain and shower cap on at the end?  What exactly happened at the end? Why did the demon turn into a plastic mask and bad wig after the girl stabbed him?

Was the randomness of the plot a creative choice on the part of Percival Rubens to be ambiguous and mysterious, or was it just bad filmmaking?  Likewise, was the darkness a creative choice on the part of the DP to be spooky, or just bad filmmaking?  Is the tackiness and rough-hewn appearance of the film due to a bad print circulating around the US, or did it always look like that?  What's the difference between the version widely available on video, and the one in the SA archives?

Was Percival Rubens happy with the way the film was received?  Did he make out like a bandit, or was he miffed that it didn't do better?  How successful was it, exactly?

What's an underpants archivist?  Do you archive underpants in film, or underpants in person?

To answer your last question, I've been a film archivist for the last 22 years and my undies are a standing (as they can actually stand on their own by now  Buggedout) joke around here so I just combined the two.  Wink

I addressed almost all of your questions in my summing up part of my review: I will post it before the end of this month. Smile

Percival was a long time friend of mine and the DP Vincent Cox ASC is both a friend and mentor to me.

The print we have at www.national.archives.gov.za is, according to Percival, completely uncut and in pristine condition ~ however we can't view it because it is considered a master as we don't hold the original camera and optical sound negatives of this film.

All shall be revealed before the end of this month: but not my undies, thankfully.  Buggedout TongueOut Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 11:58:38 AM »

My review for Andrew is complete: I'll post it as soon as I get back to work.

Mike Justice
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 07:28:52 PM »

Awesome!  Where can I read it?
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 10:18:39 PM »

Right here under Submitted Reader Reviews. I'll post it next week.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  WTF is with The Demon (1981)? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.