Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:21:07 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Avengers (2012) « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Author Topic: The Avengers (2012)  (Read 58628 times)
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2012, 04:23:42 PM »

Urgh.  I didn't read Infinity Gauntlet, but was that any good?  if so will have to snag a copy.
Pretty standard "villain acquires all-powerful superweapon and must be stopped" sort of thing. Marvel's been doing it for years, starting with the Cosmic Cube.

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2012, 01:44:20 PM »

What interests me about this film is not the artistic side, but the business side of the film. And while Paramount, along with Marvel, is the production company on this, I never hear it refered to as a Paramount picture, but as a Disney film, as in "This is the highest grossing film from the Walt Disney Company, surpassing the old record held by 'The Lion King,'" even though Disney is only the distributor, though, the worldwide distributor. Of course, Marvel is a subsidiary of the Walt Disney Company, so Disney may be raking in the money with both hands. Both through the production side and the distribution side.

"How much dough to go?"

The last figure I saw was $1,200,000,000 at the box office. Not only surpassing "The Lion King," but also surpassing "The Dark Knight," which would make "The Avengers" the top grossing superhero film of all time, so far. It is also expected to surpass at the box office "Star Wars: Episode IV" and "Star Wars: Episode I." And people are not betting against it surpassing both "Avatar' and/or "The Titanic," which are the two top grossing films at the box office.

The Oscars

Another surprise for me is not only how well it is doing among audiences, but also how well it is doing among the critics. One of the few recent films to appeal to both groups.
So, we will have to see what "Oscar worthy" films come out at the end of the year, but I can see, with all the films that can be nominated for Best Picture, there is an outside chance that "The Avengers" will be nominated for Best Picture. And while the cast is too much of  an ensemble for any actor to be nominated for an Oscar, there is the possibility that Joss Whedon will be nominated for Best Director as alot of people hold the success of the film to the director. And, of course, there are all the technical Oscars.

I have alot of free time on Memorial Day, so I may go see it then.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #77 on: May 27, 2012, 01:58:11 PM »

I saw this over the weekend and loved it!!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2012, 03:27:50 PM »

A lot of critics are praising Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner/Hulk.

Unfortunately, as an ensemble, you can't focus on one guy. But if he gets his own Hulk film he could get a nomination.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #79 on: May 28, 2012, 02:13:53 PM »

So, Men in Black 3 knocked The Avengers down to number 2 after close to a month at 1.

I can see Avengers staying in the top 5 for a bit, but with school letting out soon and a ton of movies coming, how much longer will it bring in cash?

By all accounts, it's surpassed The Dark Knight as the highest grossing 'comic book film' and is likely to be in the top 3 highest grossing films, ever.

Dark Knight Rises has a LOT to live up to. The Dark Knight was amazing, had so much press, awards, and Avengers comes in, makes more in seemingly less time.

DC/Warner Bros. may be disappointed if comparing receipts.

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #80 on: May 28, 2012, 11:56:36 PM »

Saw it today and have two words:

Holy Crap.

Let's add three more:

Joss Whedon Rules!

That dude knows how to make a movie.  It is my fervent hope that he continues with successes like these and makes enough money to buy Fox, renaming it to The Firefly Network.

What an awesome movie.   It fulfilled exactly what I want a movie like this to be:  FUN!

Even with all I've heard about it, with expectations high, it delivered.  How often does THAT happen?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #81 on: May 29, 2012, 07:38:45 PM »

Rarely do they deliver, sir.

I had high expectations as a longtime fan of both Avengers and Whedon. But, a part of me felt that, possibly, it'd fail to deliver.

I'm so glad it did.

Only thing is...the sequel.

SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #82 on: June 01, 2012, 02:09:36 AM »

5 Best Points about Avengers:

1. Thor making several sudden stage exits.
2. Any scene wherein Stark acts like a d!ck.
3. Thor and Hulk going Deathwing on the back of the space whale. (Warcraft ref)
4. "I watched you while you slept."
5. "Puny god."

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
Kaseykockroach
Cartoon Enthusiast and Muppet Fanatic
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #83 on: June 01, 2012, 02:04:58 PM »

I had to be out of the house for a few hours yesterday, and I found myself at our classiest local multiplex, watching The Battle of the Visual Effects Houses—I'm sorry, I mean The Avengers—in the company of exactly two other moviegoers. After watching this very expensive, very loud, very long, and ultimately very boring spectacle, I wondered how best to express my opinion of it.
I was made most aware of just how noisy and empty The Avengers is at precisely those moments when it tries to be a little more than noisy and empty. As when Iron Man and Captain America are chewing on each other, and especially when the No. 2 man to Nick Fury is murdered by the villain, Loki. I could tell that we in the audience were supposed to feel something when this man—what was his name? Colson? Carlson? Carbuncle?—was skewered, but I felt only mild disappointment that he had not turned out to be a mole in the service of the bad guys. It's hard to feel anything when what you're watching is so obviously a precision-tooled industrial product that can be called a "movie" only because a comparably compact and far more accurate descriptive noun is considered rude in polite company.

Closetshipper.deviantart.com

"You wanna be a genius, it's easy. All you gotta say is, everything stinks. Then you're never wrong."
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #84 on: June 01, 2012, 10:56:25 PM »

Since I don't know you at all Kasey, I'll give you FOUR times to be completely wrong per calendar year.  (I gave the Rev only 3 because that's all he deserves, and you get the benefit of a doubt.)   Cheers
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #85 on: June 02, 2012, 06:52:46 AM »

Since I don't know you at all Kasey, I'll give you FOUR times to be completely wrong per calendar year.  (I gave the Rev only 3 because that's all he deserves, and you get the benefit of a doubt.)   Cheers

Heck, I probably only really deserve two chances. Thanks for the extra pass!

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
ChaosTheory

« Reply #86 on: June 03, 2012, 03:06:14 PM »

The Good -
Tony Stark  being cocky and hot and awesome
The Thor/Hulk throwdown
Mark Ruffalo was great as Banner
Banner and Black Widow were both written considerably better than in their last appearances

The Bad -
Hawkeye continues to be lame
Thor and Loki felt really underwritten compared to the THOR movie
Thanks for killing my second favorite character in the series, Whedon. Jagoff.
Konk on the head, really??
While Selvig was brainwashed he magically installed a magic self-destruct button on the Tesseract that the Goddammed Trickster God magically doesn't know about.   Yeah.......

So, basically I liked everything but the plot.
8/10
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 11:37:27 AM by ChaosTheory » Logged

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #87 on: June 03, 2012, 11:49:45 PM »

I had to be out of the house for a few hours yesterday, and I found myself at our classiest local multiplex, watching The Battle of the Visual Effects Houses—I'm sorry, I mean The Avengers—in the company of exactly two other moviegoers. After watching this very expensive, very loud, very long, and ultimately very boring spectacle, I wondered how best to express my opinion of it.
I was made most aware of just how noisy and empty The Avengers is at precisely those moments when it tries to be a little more than noisy and empty. As when Iron Man and Captain America are chewing on each other, and especially when the No. 2 man to Nick Fury is murdered by the villain, Loki. I could tell that we in the audience were supposed to feel something when this man—what was his name? Colson? Carlson? Carbuncle?—was skewered, but I felt only mild disappointment that he had not turned out to be a mole in the service of the bad guys. It's hard to feel anything when what you're watching is so obviously a precision-tooled industrial product that can be called a "movie" only because a comparably compact and far more accurate descriptive noun is considered rude in polite company.

The movie was fun.  I liked it, my wife liked it and my two children liked it. We laughed, we cheered, we got lost in the moment for a couple of hours.

You didn't like it?  Fine.  Cool.  No problem.

Technical issues or otherwise above-it-all criticism of a popcorn flick?  Who cares about that crap.  It's a movie based on a comic book.  It's supposed to be over-the-top.

This movie succeeds at being what it's supposed to be.  If only more movies were so humble...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #88 on: June 04, 2012, 09:40:38 PM »

A good friend pointed out that the second-favorite character who is thought to be dead may not be dead.

It would be possible that he isn't dead, given the way Fury lies and given the way comic books storylines twist.
Hammock Rider

« Reply #89 on: June 05, 2012, 03:40:25 PM »

I thought it was a blast. It was just what I wanted. They were true to the characters and it was fun. What more could you ask?

My nephew can't decide whether to be Cap or Shellhead for Halloween. Two of my nieces want to be Black Widow( She kicks those bad guys butts!) and the little baby girl wants to be the Hulk. As an uncle I'd say it was a good day's work.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Avengers (2012) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.