Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:27:45 AM
712924 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Avengers (2012) « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
Author Topic: The Avengers (2012)  (Read 58633 times)
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2012, 10:50:35 PM »

I LOVED it. Should be seeing it again soon, maybe next weekend.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2012, 10:55:14 AM »

We all went to see it yesterday....LOVED IT! And as in all Marvel films,stay through the credits.

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
A_Dubya
Bad Movie Lover

I'm no hero, never was. I'm just an old killer.

« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2012, 01:25:22 PM »

I LOVED this movie. I am definitely picking up the blu-ray.

This space free, since Photobucket is on dust.

PSN ID: A_Dubya13
A_Dubya
Bad Movie Lover

I'm no hero, never was. I'm just an old killer.

« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2012, 01:33:06 PM »

I also just want to add how much I loved the relationship and character development between Banner/Hulk and Stark/Iron Man throughout the second half of the film. Purely awesome storytelling and continuity I can appreciate.

This space free, since Photobucket is on dust.

PSN ID: A_Dubya13
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2012, 08:22:26 AM »

I thought the first half of the movie was pretty good, but the second half was great.  I will try to see it again in the theater and will definitely buy the 3-D blu-ray when it gets released.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Silverlady
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2012, 07:45:30 AM »

Loved it!   TeddyR

Hold onto your dreams ....
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2012, 11:28:25 PM »

How do you do the spoilers thing?
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2012, 05:28:01 PM »

I'll be the stick in the mud here. From the chatter I was expecting something fantastic and game-changing in the superhero genre. I got something well-done but predicable, relying on action sequences. It might have helped if I'd seen any of the previous movies, but honestly the only character here that was interesting enough for me to want to spend 1.5 hours with was Iron Man (well, I guess I could look at Black Widow for 90 minutes). It all felt very slick, soulless and over-marketed to me. Honestly, I'm afraid I don't get it, but then again I'm not a fan of any superheroes besides Batman. 3/5 stars.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2012, 11:19:04 PM »

I'll be the stick in the mud here. From the chatter I was expecting something fantastic and game-changing in the superhero genre. I got something well-done but predicable, relying on action sequences. It might have helped if I'd seen any of the previous movies, but honestly the only character here that was interesting enough for me to want to spend 1.5 hours with was Iron Man (well, I guess I could look at Black Widow for 90 minutes). It all felt very slick, soulless and over-marketed to me. Honestly, I'm afraid I don't get it, but then again I'm not a fan of any superheroes besides Batman. 3/5 stars.

I'll permit you to be wrong three times per calendar year, Rev.  So you've used up one and it's early May now.   Watch yourself.
And... I've been saving this one, I'm so appalled no one else had posted it yet:

Small | Large
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2012, 11:22:03 PM »

I can understand that to a degree, and can't really argue.  Black Widow should be getting a spinoff film soon.  Iron Man is probably the most thought out character of the bunch, but he's already had Iron Man 1&2.  Not sure if you saw them, but they're worth it.  Downey Jr. is great in the role.

Personally I'm looking forward to Dark Knight Rises, out later this summer.  Huge Batman fan myself.  Granted, Batman is one of two DC books I read...big Marvel fan here.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Jim H

« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2012, 12:32:47 AM »

It's just very enjoyable and generally very true to the comics.  So the fans and general public will love it.  I can understand your complaints.

That said, I quite enjoyed it.  Solid characterizations, very good acting, and good action sequences. 

Also, for those not in the know (major post-credit reveal spoiler)

***SPOILERS***

Thanos, the villain revealed during the credits, is in love with Death in the comics (who's personified by a female avatar in the Marvelverse).  I was fairly surprised to hear a line like that, as it doesn't have nearly the same meaning to non-comics fans. 

***END***

Also, there is a second scene for most markets at the VERY end of the credits.  So stick around for that.

Overall, an 8/10.  I'd say this is just barely the best of the Marvel films, edging out Iron Man (which I like, but not as much as many others do). 
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2012, 12:50:48 PM »

I was fairly surprised to hear a line like that, as it doesn't have nearly the same meaning to non-comics fans. 

Ah, but now all the non-Marvel fans will be asking the Marvel fans "Who the hell was that guy in the stinger?" and generating buzz for the next movie. Useful marketing ploy, actually.

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
Saucerman
Opinionated Blowhard Par Excellence
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Hypnotic, ain't it?

« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2012, 04:19:31 PM »

I loved it.  I'm not a huge comics fan, I'm on-and-off with them and tend to favor Dark Horse over either Marvel or DC, but I've been really enjoying the last few years' worth of Marvel movies, much more so than the DC films (I enjoyed Batman Begins, but I was sort of meh towards the Dark Knight.  Additionally, DC's animated features have been better than Marvel's animated features, but I digress). 

The Avengers gave me everything I could ask for from a superhero movie, and then some.  But the real highlight for me were the scenes emphasizing the heroics of the ordinary man.  When Loki's in Germany and commands the crowd to kneel, and the elderly man refuses.  When Agent Coulson knows he's severely outmatched, but places himself between Loki and the rest of SHIELD regardless.  Those scenes, more than anything with Cap, Iron Man, the Hulk, etc., made my heart pound. 

tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2012, 11:53:51 AM »

Went to see it again yesterday....this time in 3D. Must admit that not only did it not add to my enjoyment of the film but at times it was actually annoying..Plus I realized that after the film I had a pretty good headache. I've come to the conclusion that I do not need 3D to see a movie.....call me old fashioned like Captain America. TeddyR

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2012, 01:19:33 AM »

Yeah, I don't do 3D movies either for the most part.  It was helpful in Avatar.  But I have seen the Avengers 3 times now, just regular 2D.  :)    I get a sense of visual strain watching them in 3D as well.  Same for my wife, so that makes it simple.

That scene between Loki and the Hulk... that never, never, ever gets old.     Thumbup  I'd say more but I don't remember how to hide a line as a spoiler.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Avengers (2012) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.