Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:25:27 PM
713370 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Avengers (2012) « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Author Topic: The Avengers (2012)  (Read 58895 times)
Archivist
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #105 on: July 10, 2012, 12:05:54 AM »

I only know Bane from the Knightfall sequence; not even sure why I have those issues, maybe I have a graphic novel or something.  The last issue I read had Bane defeated by Azrael posing as a souped-up armoured Batman.

Whether TDKR will do as well as The Avengers is anyone's guess.  Funny that two superhero movies are the most anticipated movies of 2012!  Both movies have well known and acclaimed directors at the helm.  Both have had years of 'prequels', and both have decades of comic reading fans behind them.  The Avengers had the benefit of an overall forward strategy of teasers and connections, whereas the Batman trilogy was never intended to go past the first, according to an interview with Christopher Nolan.  Fortunately, Nolan has a very clever abiility to incorporate previous characters and events into related movies, so they should all gel together in the end.

As for the upcoming Iron Man 3: W. T. F!!! is the idea of casting Ben Kingsley as the Mandarin???  When I think of the Mandarin it is of an extremely fit and agile martial arts master, not exactly easy to played by an actor who is pushing 70!  Sure, stick some makeup on him and he will look Chinese like Peter Sellers in the Fu Manchu movie, or Joel Grey in Remo Williams. But come on!  Ben Kingsley as the Mandarin???  They had better do this right, or they risk spoiling the wonderful winning streak that Marvel Studios has enjoyed for the past several years.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #106 on: July 10, 2012, 06:15:49 PM »

I have read that both Scarecrow and Ra's Al Ghul play a part in DKR, so that ties it to Begins.

As far as Iron Man 3: odd choice, yeah, as far as Kingsley. Good actor and all, still.

I did read that IM3 has something to do with A.I.M., so I wonder if that sets up an appearance by M.O.D.O.K in a future Marvel film.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Jim H

« Reply #107 on: July 13, 2012, 12:05:27 PM »

I have read that both Scarecrow and Ra's Al Ghul play a part in DKR, so that ties it to Begins.

As far as Iron Man 3: odd choice, yeah, as far as Kingsley. Good actor and all, still.

I did read that IM3 has something to do with A.I.M., so I wonder if that sets up an appearance by M.O.D.O.K in a future Marvel film.

As much as I'd love it, I really doubt we'll ever see a live-action MODOK.  He's just too ridiculous.  For those who are not comic book fans, here is MODOK:

Yes, he is basically a head with limbs and a rocket sticking out of it.

I also suggest for your reading pleasure MODOK's Eleven, which is basically an Ocean's Eleven type story where MODOK recruits a bunch of seriously C-list (at best) villains to rob one of the most powerful groups in the universe.  It's very amusing.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #108 on: July 13, 2012, 06:30:19 PM »

MODOK even shows up in Howard The Duck comics a bunch.

El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #109 on: July 14, 2012, 12:01:42 AM »

MODOK looks like a villain from Megus-XLR, Magnanimous (voiced by Bruce Campbell) the Wiki page said that it could be a reference to MODOK.
I am a huge fan of Bane.

However, he's a less popular villain than say Riddler, Joker or Penguin.
I am a huge fan of Bane as well, but the mask for TDKR looks...a bit stupid, it's not the lucha lebrae(?) mask found in the comics. That's not to say I won't go see it, oh no, I'm going see it! Smile

yeah no.
Jim H

« Reply #110 on: July 14, 2012, 01:34:18 PM »

MODOK looks like a villain from Megus-XLR, Magnanimous (voiced by Bruce Campbell) the Wiki page said that it could be a reference to MODOK.
I am a huge fan of Bane.

I am a huge fan of Bane as well, but the mask for TDKR looks...a bit stupid, it's not the lucha lebrae(?) mask found in the comics. That's not to say I won't go see it, oh no, I'm going see it! Smile

I'm not a big fan of it, but there's no way we'd get a real lucha libre mask in the Nolan-verse - it's just too out there and silly for its tone.  More disappointing than the mask is the rest of his look - it's very generic and blah, much like the Catwoman outfit.  The Joker looked great costume-wise, regardless of what you thought of the makeup.

Compare him to Bane.

I just find his costuming underwhelming.  Maybe it'll fit with his character, which is far less over-the-top than the Joker.  Maybe I shouldn't be making a big deal out of it, but honestly the visuals are a significant part of any superhero story.  I do have some faith in Nolan after the Dark Knight though.  We'll see....
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #111 on: July 14, 2012, 08:45:37 PM »

Well, the costumes, I assume, are meant to be 'realistic', so they're toned down a smidge.

'Realistic' as it may be to have a billionaire dressing as a bat and becoming a vigilante...etc.

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #112 on: July 14, 2012, 08:46:48 PM »

I don't mind a small alteration though, long as the story is faithful to the characters.

No Bat credit cards, etc.

El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #113 on: July 14, 2012, 09:36:51 PM »

I am a huge fan of Bane.

I'm not a big fan of it, but there's no way we'd get a real lucha libre mask in the Nolan-verse - it's just too out there and silly for its tone.  More disappointing than the mask is the rest of his look - it's very generic and blah, much like the Catwoman outfit.  The Joker looked great costume-wise, regardless of what you thought of the makeup.

Compare him to Bane.

I just find his costuming underwhelming.  Maybe it'll fit with his character, which is far less over-the-top than the Joker.  Maybe I shouldn't be making a big deal out of it, but honestly the visuals are a significant part of any superhero story.  I do have some faith in Nolan after the Dark Knight though.  We'll see....

I actually was going for this mask:

But that could be somewhat s&M style. Lookingup

yeah no.
ChaosTheory

« Reply #114 on: July 15, 2012, 02:04:47 PM »

I am a huge fan of Bane.

You know, I like the Nolan Batman movies but his insistence on real-world (albeit heightened) reality as opposed to comic-book reality does tend to undermine them, the costumes for Bane (and Catwoman too) being a prime example. 

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #115 on: July 20, 2012, 04:55:40 PM »

A little something to whet one's appetite to "Avengers 2" is released.

"Phinea and Ferb: Mission Marvel"

The first character crossover between Marvel and the Walt Disney Company. To be shown on TV sometime during the summer of 2013. Most probably on Disney XD and the Disney Channel.

When Captain America, the Hulk, Ironman, and Thor loose their powers to one of Professor Doofenschmirtz's -inators, they seek the help of Phineas and Ferb to regain their powers. But, the Avengers are not the only ones to be seen in the TriState area. Also seen there are Marvel villains M.O.D.O.K., the Red Skull, Venom, and Whiplash.

Marvel is also working on an animated TV series "Avengers Assemble" and "Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H." Most likely to play on Disney XD, as that is where the animated "The Ultimate Spiderman" plays already.

And Marvel and the Walt Disney Company are also working on the animated film "Big Hero 6" featuring Baymax, Go-Go Tamago, Hiro, Honey-Lemon, the Silver Samurai, and Sunfire.

And there is good news on the Ant-man front. If anyone remembers a couple of years ago, there was talk of Marvel doing a film with Ant-man in it. That idea never went anywhere, but the idea is back on the table with the film being released sometime in 2014.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #116 on: July 20, 2012, 05:51:50 PM »

Kinda curious why M.O.D.O.K was chosen...

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #117 on: July 21, 2012, 03:14:23 PM »

No idea, but if I do hear anything, I'll post here.
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #118 on: July 25, 2012, 09:44:25 AM »

Because MODOK is awesome. 
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #119 on: July 25, 2012, 06:02:25 PM »

I like M.O.D.O.K., but he is a random character to throw out there.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Avengers (2012) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.