Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:59:30 AM
714351 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Literary Works YOU LIKE « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Literary Works YOU LIKE  (Read 8373 times)
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« on: October 12, 2011, 10:15:36 AM »

From this topic:most hated literary works, why not post some stuff you actually like!
here's my list:
The Princess Bride- this is absolutely the funniest novel I ever read, it is just so comedic and knows it while also trying to be serious at the same time.
Life of Pi- A book that has some questions about life, the one that stuck out was 'Why does a person have to choose one religion, why not be multiple?' and it really makes sense, since most religions share the same God and has variants on the story, but the followers are so ignorant about it that it just makes a person not have the freedom to choose.
I highly recommend these two novels, check them out.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 04:27:18 PM by El Toro Loco » Logged

yeah no.
Vik
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 11:45:22 AM »

Anything Charles Bukowski, and I adore Hunter S. Thompson.
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 12:07:49 PM »

I really appreciate the work of Leon Uris. He writes fictional novels but in historical and cultural settings. The man does exhaustive research in preparation for his novels. His personal background seems to have given him a unique insight into understanding differences in culture, and his novels deal with them in very even-handed ways. That, and they are just good story-telling.

His novel Trinity is set the violent history of Ireland seen from the sides of both the Catholic/Irish and the Protestant/Loyalist perspectives. I asked my father-in-law, who grew up in Belfast and left with is family because of the troubles, if he read the book and we had a very long conversation about it. He thought the book captured the tumultous Irish history extremely well. I thought that was a pretty solid seal of approval.

There are plenty of others, I just mentioned Leon Uris because I noticed my copy of said book on the shelf the other day and was thinking about re-reading it since it's been quite a few years.

I'm also pretty big on Kurt Vonnegut. I don't know if I have a favorite. I've read the majority of his novels, and I would say that Cat's Cradle and The Sirens of Titan are arguably my favorites, but I don't know if I really have a favorite Vonnegut book. Mother Night is another one I love, and incidentally, was given pretty good film adaptation in 1996 starring Nick Nolte as the central character. The central theme of Mother Night, "be careful who you pretend to be, because in the end you ARE who you pretend to be," is something I believe to be a profound truth in life and have quoted many times. Back during a time when I smoked and drank fairly heavily, I used to borrow his line about how, after an evening of smoking an drinking Scotch my breath smelled "like mustard gas and roses."
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 12:11:30 PM by Flick James » Logged

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 04:24:00 PM »

hmm I had to read Slaughterhouse 5 for my A-Level but I don't remember much about it. I don't think I was ready for it tbh, combined with the fact that I tend to lose interest in book or film if I'm told to 'study' it. I prefer reading because I want to, not for the purpose of being examined on it

my favourite books are

American Psycho (infinitely darker and more claustrophobic and low key than the almost slapstick film)
Fear And Loathing (ditto in many ways, although it is hilarious)
Stepford Wives
Clockwork Orange
The Cement Garden

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 11:27:15 PM »

THE LORD OF THE RINGS
THE HOBBIT
THE SILMARILLION for starters.
Then
THE CHRONICLES OF THOMAS COVENANT
Colleen McCullough's MASTERS OF ROME series
And most, but not all, of Stephen King's stuff

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Couchtr26

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 12:00:15 AM »

I like Joseph Conrad.  Heart of Darkness was very enjoyable in my opinion.

I like most of Frank Herbert's Dune series.  It does a good job of developing social, political and religious interaction over long periods of time. 

While I don't enjoy most of his work, I did like Stephen King's The Stand. 

Ah, the good old days.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 09:45:04 AM »

In my opinion "Lolita" is the greatest novel in the English language. 

Think you can't sympathize with a child molester?  Well, maybe you can't, but Nabokov gives you the option to side with him---in fact, he pretty much forces you to make a choice as to whether he redeems himself in the end or not.  Plus the fact that every single word is jewel-like---there are no great passages because they're ALL great, open the book to any random page and you'll read pure poetry.  Not for everyone because it's difficult reading and the subject matter is too dark for many, but it's enormously rewarding if you can get into it.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 09:53:54 AM »

As an English major I had read a lot of things for my classes. Here are  my favorites, among them things I had to read for classes: Band of Brothers, Catch-22, Closing Time, The Scarlett Letter, The Catcher in the Rye, The Great Gatsby.

From my younger days I enjoyed The Boxcar Chlidren, the Narnia books, and the Goosebumps books.

And anything by Edgar Allen Poe is gold in my eyes.  Thumbup

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Vik
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 01:10:43 PM »

Think you can't sympathize with a child molester?  Well, maybe you can't, but Nabokov gives you the option to side with him---in fact, he pretty much forces you to make a choice as to whether he redeems himself in the end or not.  Plus the fact that every single word is jewel-like---there are no great passages because they're ALL great, open the book to any random page and you'll read pure poetry.  Not for everyone because it's difficult reading and the subject matter is too dark for many, but it's enormously rewarding if you can get into it.
I thought it was underwhelming. Not because out was too dark or anything, if anything I like dark.
diamondwaspvenom

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 08:54:32 PM »

J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit.  Thumbup
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 09:19:22 PM »

When I was in college, I took a course entitled "the Literature of the Great War"

It was my introduction to Robert Graves, Siegfried Sassoon, Wilfred Owen, Arthur Graham West, and all the other brilliant writers of the Lost Generation.

They ROCKED MY WORLD!

But the poem that absolutely gave me chills - and still does, every time I read it to my history classes - is one that I have never found the author of.  It's simply called, "On the Wire."  It is a first person narrative from the point of view of a gravely wounded soldier snagged on the barbed wire in No Man's Land - unable to get himself loose, unable to die.  The last stanza is incredibly haunting - I think I can recite it from memory:

"Again the shuddering dawn, weird and wicked and wan.
Again, and I've not yet gone.
The man that I heard is dead. And now I can understand;
A bullet hole in his head, a pistol gripped in his hand.
Yes, he knew what to do - and now I know too!
I've suffered more than my share.  I'm shattered beyond repair.
And now I demand the right - God! How his fingers cling!
To do without shame this thing.
Hark! The resentful guns! Oh, how happy am I
To think my beloved ones, will never know how I die.
Good, there's a bullet still.  And now I'm ready to fire.
Blame me, O God, if you will.
Here on the wire . . . .the wire."

Powerful stuff.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 04:29:43 AM »

Lolita is really a fantastic book. I don't sympathize with Humbert Humbert, something I've explicated on here. Nabokov's book is queasy, deliberately so, but its just such a fantastic piece of English wordplay. All the more surprising since English is not Nabokov's native language.

If I had to pick a favorite book, which I won't because it's stupid, I would pick Gravity's Rainbow. Pynchon's magnum opus is famous for being difficult to read. It's not really. Well, the book is full of run-on sentences that may shift viewpoints for characters who are decades apart in time frame. And then there all those bits where the narrator literally attacks the reader. But it's very readable, and very funny.

Part of the reason it is viewed as a difficult read is that the author, Pynchon, expects you to get all his references and ideas. At no point is the book dumbed down, it doesn't even bother to explain its abstruse topics. It's all just there, you are the one who will have to do all the work to get it. I haven't even mentioned that the book is incredibly perverse. Did I mention coprophagia?

Difficult book; author with no interest in pleasing his audience (famous recluse); entire passages dedicated to calculus, organic chemistry, and the kabbalah; the entirety of human civilization reduced to a mechanical death wish... my favorite book.

But he is an actual writer, when he wants to be and isn't deliberately obscuring his own work. Look at this passage:

"Now there grows among all the rooms, replacing the night's old smoke, alcohol and sweat, the fragile, musaceous odor of Breakfast: flowery, permeating, surprising, more than the color winter sunlight, taking over not so much through any brute pungency or volume as by the high intricacy to the weaving of its molecules, sharing the conjuror's secret by which--though it is not often Death is told so clearly to f**k off--the living genetic chains prove even labryinthine enough to preserve some human face down ten or twenty generations . . . so the same assertion-through-structure allows this war morning's banana fragrance to meander, repossess, prevail.  Is there any reason not to open every window, and let the kind scent blanket all Chelsea?  As a spell, against falling objects. . ."

Fantastic book.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 04:46:19 AM »

Anything by Shirley Jackson.
Try The HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE,or WE HAVE ALWAYS LIVED  THE CASTLE.
I have a big book that contains those two novels,plus tons of short stories,including the infamous the LOTTERY,The SUMMER PEOPLE, ONE ORDINARY DAY WITH PEANUTS,and my favorite The TOOTH.
 Miss Jackson's work is like entering the twilight zone. No big scary monsters,vampires,or things blowing up. It's not King or Lovecraft. It's the wierd parralell universe that exists just below the surface of mundane life...it's very dreamlike and poetic. And very scary.
My FAVORITE author!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2011, 05:11:41 AM »

Though I struggled to read the LORD OF THE RINGS books (Tara Sue loved them-a fanatic-pushed them on me),and am not a big fan of "Fantasy" fiction,I quite enjoy Robert E. Howard's CONAN series of stories and books.
. Robert Heinlien is also an author I am completly devoted to. I have at least 20 of his boks,including many old first editions. The PUPPET MASTERS and NUMBER of the BEAST being favorites.
. I enjoy Ray Bradbury quite a bit-but some of his work-like DANDILION WINE is a lttle too syrupy sweet for my tastes.
. Lovecraft,of course!
. William Shirer-yes he's a historian-but his work is important and very well written. Try the RISE AND FALL of the THIRD RIECH. Epic.
. Dee Brown's BURY MY HEART AT WOUNDED KNEE will bring you to tears. It's the story of the white man's betrayal of the Indian Nations.
. John Hersey's HIROSHIMA is a blunt,no punches pulled account of the dropping of the A Bomb on that city. Horrifying and touching.
. I just picked up a 1913 edition of O.Henry's ROLLING STONES...I wasn't really familiar with his work outside of the Monkey's Paw...but this is quite good!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2011, 11:21:04 AM »

Despite my lukewarm feelings towards the ending (even if it does fit the tone and works), I enjoy Animal Farm.  Pretty interesting and fasincating book for something I was actually assigned to read in school.  I did also like Number the Stars, my all time favorite book I had to read for school.

For stuff that I read on my own, I enjoy pretty much all of Micahel Crichton's works (Jurassic Park, Prey, Andromeda Strain, etc.) that I've read.  I've also enjoyed a lot of Stephen King's work, with Night Shift being my favorite, even if it is a collection of his short works.

Of course, I have read and liked a lot of comics, but my personal current favorites are The Unwritten by Mike Carey and The Drifting Classroom by Kazou Umezu.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Literary Works YOU LIKE « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.