Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:41:17 AM
713384 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Literary Works YOU LIKE « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Literary Works YOU LIKE  (Read 8243 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2011, 11:38:05 AM »

Wow.  There are so many.  But here are a few that come to mind (in no particular order).

* CATCHER IN THE RYE - J.D. Salinger

* THE BRONX ZOO - The funniest sports book ever written.  Some parts made me laugh out loud.  It's essentially a day-by-day recap of the 1978 New York Yankees season with plenty of clubhouse shenanigans.

* THE COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO - Alexandre Dumas

* Just about anything by Charles Dickens

* DRACULA - Bram Stoker

* DELIVERANCE - James Dickey

* THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME - Victor Hugo

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2011, 11:42:06 AM »

Despite my lukewarm feelings towards the ending (even if it does fit the tone and works), I enjoy Animal Farm.  Pretty interesting and fasincating book for something I was actually assigned to read in school.  I did also like Number the Stars, my all time favorite book I had to read for school.

For stuff that I read on my own, I enjoy pretty much all of Micahel Crichton's works (Jurassic Park, Prey, Andromeda Strain, etc.) that I've read.  I've also enjoyed a lot of Stephen King's work, with Night Shift being my favorite, even if it is a collection of his short works.

Of course, I have read and liked a lot of comics, but my personal current favorites are The Unwritten by Mike Carey and The Drifting Classroom by Kazou Umezu.

Orwell was an interesting man. I respect him a great deal. His work is quite good. He contributed some very profound metaphors on human behavior.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2011, 12:49:20 PM »

* Just about anything by Charles d**kens

* DELIVERANCE - James d**key

not forgetting the works of Phillip K Dick

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Vik
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2011, 12:50:51 PM »

Despite my lukewarm feelings towards the ending (even if it does fit the tone and works), I enjoy Animal Farm.  Pretty interesting and fasincating book for something I was actually assigned to read in school.  I did also like Number the Stars, my all time favorite book I had to read for school.

For stuff that I read on my own, I enjoy pretty much all of Micahel Crichton's works (Jurassic Park, Prey, Andromeda Strain, etc.) that I've read.  I've also enjoyed a lot of Stephen King's work, with Night Shift being my favorite, even if it is a collection of his short works.

Of course, I have read and liked a lot of comics, but my personal current favorites are The Unwritten by Mike Carey and The Drifting Classroom by Kazou Umezu.

Orwell was an interesting man. I respect him a great deal. His work is quite good. He contributed some very profound metaphors on human behavior.
Almost done reading 1984. Love it.
Hammock Rider

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2011, 11:56:03 AM »

Let's see,

Douglas Adams and Stephen King are always fun.

The columns of the late newspaper columnist Mike Royko

The Great Railway Bazaar by Paul Theroux

James Thurber, E.B. White and Robert Benchely's short stories and essays are all excellent. I'm also just getting into Max Shulman.

The Name of the Rose by Umbero Eco is a great book and a great mental workout! His Foucault’s Pendulum is really good too.

Phillip K. D@#k

Homer's Iliad and Odyssey

Virgil's The Aeneid

Dr. Jekyl and Mister Hyde.

H.G. Wells' works

Cannery Row by John Steinbeck

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2011, 03:45:41 PM »

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2011, 09:20:50 PM »

I like most works by Kurt Vonnegut and J.D. Salinger.  I also like reading different things about Greek and Roman mythology.  Spent a lot of time reading as a kid and am told I was reading very early on.  I remember being in Kindergarten or 1st Grade and able to read a book for 6th graders. 

A few books that are particular favorites:
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut
Have A Nice Day: A Tale of Blood and Sweatsocks by Mick Foley
It by Stephen King

I also dig Homer's Odyssey and Iliad

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2011, 11:29:55 PM »

Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories are still wonderfully entertaining!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2011, 02:55:07 PM »

I have always been a voracious reader, so as soon as I entered junior high, or middle school, if you wish, I started taking those great works of literature classes in school, and continued taking them till I graduated from college. Thus, let me limit myself to those great works of literature, that they made you read. As there are not many of them that are my favorites.

Overall bodies of work
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, of course. Who is best known for his Sherlock Holmes stories, but if you read him, then read not only those, but his other works of fiction, since he also created the Professor Challenger series of novels, and is one of the few civilians who I have found who could write an arousing action scene. As an example: his "The White Company," which is about a group of English mercenaries in medieval France and Spain.

And in the realm of what might have been. If director John Ford had lived a bit longer, he wanted to do a film version of "The White Company" with Sir Alec Guiness, Lord Laurence Olivier, and John "the Duke" Wayne. Now there is a cast that makes you stand up and take notice.

Jules Verne. As I previously posted, I find most French literature incomprehensible. The only European literature I find more incomprehensible is Russian, but Verne is an exception. Maybe because he seemingly writes more like an American or an Englishman than a Frenchman. I especially enjoy some of his more obscure novels, and he wrote alot of novels that are relatively obscure such as "Michael Strogoff," and a novel specifically written for children, whose title I cannot remember.

Individual works
H. Rider Haggard. His great novel and one of the greatest adventure novels of all time "King "Solomon's Mine." Though, as a work of literature, I prefer his sequel to it "Alan Quatermain."

Bram Stoker. "Dracula." Probably the greatest "trash" novel ever written. But, if you read it, then read an annotated version of it, and of the annotated versions, then read the one annotated by Leonard Wolf. You'll get so much more out of it.

Another reason to read it, is to read it for all the sex in it. You may have to read between the lines, but someone once said that the following subjects can be found in "Dracula:" seduction (both attempted and accomplished) rape, gang rape, group sex, necrophilia, pedophilia, incest, adultery, oral sex, menstruation, veneral disease, and voyeurism. And I'll throw in homosexuality and/or bisexuality.

They don't write books like they use to.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2011, 10:17:43 AM »

Oh . . . I forgot this one.  Highly recommended book about depression-era criminals including John Dillinger, Bonnie & Clyde, the Barkers, Alvin Karpis, Pretty Boy Floyd, Baby Face Nelson and others.  It's also a very interesting look at the early days of the FBI and all the mistakes they made trying to apprehend bad guys.  The movie starring Johnny Depp concentrated on the Dillinger aspect, but the book has a much greater scope than what the movie covered.  A riveting read.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2011, 12:27:57 PM »

John Steinbeck's lighter works- Cannery Row, the Log of the Sea of Cortez, Travels with Charley (not fiction), and Sweet Thursday are some of the finest books ever written. 

Almost all Hemmingway, minus For Whom the Bell Tolls.

It not literature, but its a classic: Riders of the Purple Sage by Louis Lamour.

I love the Glass Family stories by JD Salinger, theres a dog-eared copy of Franny and Zooey I cherish. 

The Poetry of Wallace Stevens and Langston Hughes.

The Continental Op books by Dashiell Hammett.

Modern Literature... Pete Hammill is an absolute genius both fiction and non fiction. 

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
ChaosTheory

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2011, 01:11:19 PM »

FRANKENSTEIN - possibly my favorite horror story of all time.
Just about anything by Lovecraft works for me
Jane Eyre
The Inferno (I like all of Divine Comedy but Purgatory & Paradiso get pretty surreal and don't have the "visual" power of Inferno)
The Terror by Dan Simmons - Simmons is kind of uneven for me, liked Summer of Night but wasn't all that crazy about Drood (a friend recommended the Hyperion series to me but I try to shy away from series, so haven't picked it up yet.) but I love this book.

On the nonfiction front:
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Thompson is always great but this one's my favorite
John Adams by David McCullough
Albert Camus' The Rebel - blew my mind
The Decline and Fall of Practically Everybody by William Cuppy - kind of obscure but it's hilarious

On the poetry front:
Idylls of the King by Tennyson
Anything by Shel Silverstein, Robert Frost, or Langston Hughes

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
the ghoul
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2011, 12:53:42 AM »

My favorite book of all time:  Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
My second favorite book of all time:  Captain Underpants and the Perilous Plot of Professor Poopypants by Dav Pilkey
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2011, 12:33:41 PM »

...But the poem that absolutely gave me chills - and still does, every time I read it to my history classes - is one that I have never found the author of.  It's simply called, "On the Wire."  ...
I think that's ROBERT W. SERVICE  

http://plagiarist.com/poetry/5310/
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 12:41:17 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Literary Works YOU LIKE « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.