Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:51:31 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Do you like to analyze movies? « previous next »
Poll
Question: Do you like to analyze movies?
Yep - 18 (78.3%)
NEINE!!!!! - 5 (21.7%)
Total Voters: 21

Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Do you like to analyze movies?  (Read 6803 times)
WingedSerpent
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2011, 11:41:20 AM »

Sort of...

I don't go looking for plot holes, unrealistic events or such.  Usually they have to be pretty blatant for me to even notice them.

However, I'll look to the classic stop motion effects to think about how they were accomplished, and sometimes the imagery of the film.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
dean

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2011, 02:54:36 AM »

As a film student: all the freaking time.  But it does actually depend on the movie.  I remember a film composer relaying a story to me once about a film he worked on where the main actor accidentally spilled a glass of milk on the floor.  The director saw it, thought it looked cool, shot it and put it in the movie.  Now he gets film students writing about the symbolism and the greater meaning of the scene, which the composer said is actually "oh what a cool shot, lets just throw it in for the hell of it..."

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2011, 03:07:47 AM »

As a film student: all the freaking time.  But it does actually depend on the movie.  I remember a film composer relaying a story to me once about a film he worked on where the main actor accidentally spilled a glass of milk on the floor.  The director saw it, thought it looked cool, shot it and put it in the movie.  Now he gets film students writing about the symbolism and the greater meaning of the scene, which the composer said is actually "oh what a cool shot, lets just throw it in for the hell of it..."

David Lynch has built an entire career on that ethos. Of course, Lynch has a incredible talent for incorporating the "happy accident" into an artform. A true example of Dali's paranoiac-critic. Frank Silva's introduction into Twin Peaks as "Bob" was originally a film-making accident, and it ended up being one of the most important elements of that show.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
JPickettIII
A BAD MOVIE IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE!
Bad Movie Lover

HELP! WE ARE STUCK IN A GOOD MOVIE!!!

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2011, 11:15:55 PM »

I don't really anylyze a movie.  I ask questions.  I find a lot of continuity errors or questions why certain things happen.

I make my wife mad sometimes.   BounceGiggle

Fun to do.

Later,

John
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 12:28:12 PM by JPickettIII » Logged

\\\\\\\"Freedom is not free\"\\\\\\ or ///\"Where ever you go, there you are!\"///
Archivist

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2011, 02:00:35 AM »

There are many layers of analysis including scripting, direction, choice of actors, messages and symbolism, homages to other movies, straight ripoffs of other movies, etc.

If I really like a movie I will watch it several times, each time looking for different aspects.  One of my favourite movies is The Mothman Prophecies, which I have watched many times and each time come away with a deeper appreciation of the director's use of angles, pacing, visual composition and visual hints in early scenes that are explained or brought forth in later scenes.

I never directly look for social or political commentary, as if it is there it is usually pretty obvious.  And if it's not obvious, it is probably some artsy commentary about the downfall of the bourgeousie capitalist yada yada bullcrap bullcrap.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
tahrgat
The Black Swordsman
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2012, 09:59:03 PM »

Yes, but I usually overlook political commentary unless the movie is trying fiercely to get its point across.

My current project: The Dead Are Watching
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2012, 10:09:55 PM »

I only do so when I'm reviewing a movie or bringing it up in dicussion with you guys to explain my thoughts on it, but otherwise no.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
dean

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2012, 11:40:07 PM »

As an aside, anyone trying to analyse Michael Bay's films are probably wasting brain power that could be used enjoying the big explosions.

I love the video below which basically tell you all that you need to know about his films.

Small | Large

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2012, 12:29:16 AM »

yes, usually when I'm watching something for the  2nd time as the first time I view for enjoyment

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2012, 12:42:06 AM »

Sure, who doesn't? Sometimes though I just like to sit back, relax and enjoy too but even then my mind tends to pick up on something and start working whether I want it to or not.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
MEWtube
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2012, 01:39:02 AM »

I do both. Sometimes I analyze a movie looking for social commentary or other subtle messages, but I also like to take them for what they are. Some people get a little carried away and over analyze so I try not to do that.

Imagination is more important than knowledge - Albert Einstein
moltogordo
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2012, 03:27:57 PM »

Usually, but if the symbolism is hard to find, it usually has to be manufactured.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2012, 04:13:37 PM »

Usually, but if the symbolism is hard to find, it usually has to be manufactured.

"If you have to ask what it symbolizes, it doesn't."--Roger Ebert.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Couchtr26

« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2012, 01:46:25 AM »

I answered yes but really more depends on the movie.  I usually don't analyze things that are bad movies but if some scenario is presented that seems odd or out of place I find myself curious as to why it was made and want to know more about it.  I want to know the why often and question things constantly at times.  Well, I can't think of more to add other then some scenarios can be so bizarre you wonder if it was inspired by acid, insanity or a genuine idea to impart something on to the viewer and we should be open to explore that possibility. 

Ah, the good old days.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Do you like to analyze movies? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.