Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:33:26 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Crying Game (1992) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Crying Game (1992)  (Read 2527 times)
A_Dubya
Bad Movie Lover

I'm no hero, never was. I'm just an old killer.

« on: October 16, 2011, 09:27:21 PM »

I first watched this movie way back in like 1994 at my grandma's house and had no idea what it was and what it was about other than "the big surprise". I recently watched it again after maybe not seeing it for 3 years. I think it has to be one of the best stories, and most well-acted films of the 90's. Even though in my mind, it will always be recognized for that one scene, I found it mesmerizing and a completely captivating movie-viewing experience.

So, it got me to thinking, and I wanted to know from some of you who have seen the film, what would you have done if you were in Fergus's situation. I am just speaking as a heterosexual male when I say I think it would be a very hard thing to come to grips with after he found out about Dil, but I just found it to be beautiful in the end how much he cared for....'her'

So does the idea of "love can survive through anything" ring true here, regardless of all the factors involved?

Another thing that I never picked up when I watched this as a kid was the opening song, and how the irony played into not just Fergus and Dil's relationship, but also Jody's and Dil's. Just something I found to be cool.

Anyway, share your thoughts, comments or opinions on this film. Did you guys like it? Hate it? indifferent to it?

This space free, since Photobucket is on dust.

PSN ID: A_Dubya13
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 03:42:30 AM »

I went into it knowing what the surprise was, which annoys me, but it was very hard to avoid. Heck, if you've seen Ace Ventura: Pet Detective, it's already ruined for you.

I really enjoyed the film, but I haven't seen it since it came out, which is almost a decade now. It is about a lot more than what is known for. Actually, I don't remember too much about the actual story other than bits about Forrest Whitaker and the I.R.A.

As for the sexuality, which the film is very much still about, well... Sexuality is a lot more fluid than a simple either/or switch, but I think it's also a lot more biologically oriented than most would care to admit. If it works, it works, and if it doesn't, it doesn't. There's a reason homosexuality has persisted for millennia despite its persistent taboo, which is often quite literally deadly. The vice versa is true as well. The little mechanics (how's that for a euphemism?) matter.

But there is a lot more to human relationships than sex. A whole hell of a lot more. What makes The Crying Game interesting is that is interested in exploring a very real connection between two people who exist in a very weird realm of interaction. The intimacy between the two goes beyond little bits hitting each other, although from what I remember, their relationship has still got a strong influence of the awry and unhealthy.

Anyway, an interesting movie, which I should probably watch again.

Whatever happened to Jaye Davidson? He went on to the play the androgyne in Stargate and then seemed to drop out of sight.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 09:06:10 AM »

Mofo . . . didn't Jaye Davidson die a few years ago?

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
akiratubo

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 10:26:20 AM »

Nope.  He's alive and well.  He simply decided he didn't want to pursue an acting career and pretty much dropped out of the public eye.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 02:26:07 PM »

Been meaning to watch it ever since it was brought to my attention in an episode of I'm Alan Partridge

Small | Large

@20:10 -  TeddyR Wonder if they'll ever make that sequel...

zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 04:02:32 PM »

^^ first thing I think of whenever anyone mentions The Crying Game lol

never actually seen it (the film)

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 04:51:55 PM »

Nope.  He's alive and well.  He simply decided he didn't want to pursue an acting career and pretty much dropped out of the public eye.

There I go, starting urban rumors again . . .

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Crying Game (1992) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.