Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:18:08 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Basic skills you never learned? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Basic skills you never learned?  (Read 5701 times)
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2011, 05:10:42 AM »

I never learned how to have a spontaneous casual conversation (small talk). If someone asks me something, I can answer well, and if a topic comes up that I don't find ridiculously stupid, I do okay, but when people try to engage me in idle chatter, I either say something totally idiotic (or don't say anything at all) or else I make a snarky comment that is only amusing to myself. I'm getting better, but I still hate it.

I used to have that problem. Then I spent a LOT of time living with roommates who had people over all the time and also got a job working with the public on a regular basis. The trick with small talk is to realize it is always pointless and usually about something meaningless and/or stupid. "Talk about the weather." I remember having a pretty long conversation with some guy at a party about the food that was on my plate, which is about as meaningless as you can get. Some people just need to talk to pass the time. Not me, I naturally seek silence and would prefer to be left alone. But I spent a solid decade being constantly surrounded by people, many of whom I didn't even really like. Now I'll yammer away with anybody about anything. Once I got over the initial hurdle of just talking, and realized it didn't mean anything it became a lot easier. It sounds like bad advice, but not caring about the conversation is really an excellent way to make small talk. I genuinely don't care, and I'll be damned but people seem to respond to that.

That said, I still prefer silence. Of course, if small talk is required with people I like, I do tend to find common ground. Everybody has intersecting interests. Food is a great equalizer. When in doubt, talk about food. Or movies.

As for basic skills, it still takes me several seconds to determine which side is left and which is right. I'm a little better now, but there are times when I have to put my left hand into the "L" shape to prove to myself that I'm right. I don't know what prevents me from immediately realizing it, some sort of ingrained mental block.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2011, 05:44:55 AM »

Put me in with the can't whistle crowd. Not even regular wistle. If I have a song in my head-I just sing it out load...which is annoying to some folks at work.
Is there a correlation with Bad movie geeks and the inability to whistle? Someone should do a usless goverment funded scentific study.

I can't swim. Unless I'm on my back...I can back stroke and dog paddle...but not regular breast stroke. I can stroke breasts,though-hehe...! 3

My spelling is atrocious. I'm far from illiterate-I read at least a book a week-if not more-And I read newspapers and magazines constantly-even at work on my break. But even though I have seen a particular word all my life-(like "probely" "probelaly" prob" ah f#ck it)- cant get it.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2011, 07:36:16 AM »

Some people just need to talk to pass the time. Not me, I naturally seek silence and would prefer to be left alone. But I spent a solid decade being constantly surrounded by people, many of whom I didn't even really like. Now I'll yammer away with anybody about anything. Once I got over the initial hurdle of just talking, and realized it didn't mean anything it became a lot easier. It sounds like bad advice, but not caring about the conversation is really an excellent way to make small talk. I genuinely don't care, and I'll be damned but people seem to respond to that.

I have learned much the same thing, but I still hate small talk. I work in a very customer-oriented position now (massage therapy), so I have to talk to a lot of people about a lot of things. Of course I hit it off with some clients and have very interesting conversations. With others, it's more of an "I really can't wait to get this over with" attitude. My big breakthrough began several years ago when I realized people are basically self-centered and don't really care what I or anyone else says or does. It sounds very negative, but it was also very freeing to me: I began losing my self-conscious behavior and doing more of what I wanted because I no longer felt that everyone was looking at me. That also applies to small talk: nobody really cares what is being said; it is the human equivalent of monkeys picking fleas off of their companions, a social action that makes people feel a bond with others.

And RC, I had an English professor in grad school that also couldn't spell to save his life, so you're not alone there.  Smile

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2011, 07:51:13 AM »

But even though I have seen a particular word all my life-(like "probely" "probelaly" prob" ah f#ck it)- cant get it.                                                                                                                                                                                   

Sorry RC but that made me laugh  BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Hammock Rider

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2011, 10:20:42 AM »

I can't whistle either, not in any way shape or form. I also can't blow bubbles with bubble gum.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2011, 10:19:38 PM »

I can't drive stick, I made myself sick the last time I tried to

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2011, 10:27:31 PM »

I can't drive stick, I made myself sick the last time I tried to

I learned on a motorcycle, & got my driver's license through some bureaucratic loophole.
It wasn't until five years later, that I eventually learned to drive.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2011, 10:33:18 PM »

I just started a thread on motorbicycling.com to see about getting started on turning my bicycle into a moped.
At least one reader, possibly two, were appalled at the magnitude of my simplitude.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2011, 02:27:35 PM »

DRIVING
TYING A TIE
ALGEBRA
FINGER-WHISTLING
SKATING

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
Pilgermann

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2011, 03:02:07 PM »

I'm terrible at riding a bike.  Even when I started to ride fairly often as a kid I was never that great, and I never learned how to peddle while standing like everybody can do.

I did learn it and once knew it well but I can no longer remember how to do long division on paper.  I'm sure there are other mathematical skills I've lost over time but that one stands out to me.

Nightowl
Bad Movie Lover

Local TV-Movie Nerd!

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2011, 03:03:37 PM »

I never learned how to ride a bike. They always scared me as a kid.

Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Basic skills you never learned? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.