Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:50:41 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Marijuana and Studying « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Marijuana and Studying  (Read 10353 times)
Vik
« on: October 25, 2011, 12:37:08 PM »

I've smoked a lot of weed before, but I have never tried it while studying. I've read that it actually helps the process. Has anyone tried it before, if yes, how did it work out for you?
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 01:08:40 PM »

C'mon, Pillow, this is obviously a terrible idea.  One of marijuana's primary negative effects is short term memory loss.  What would be the point of studying if you're going to forget what you're studying as you're doing it?

Honestly, man, please take advice from someone who's "been there, done that."  I nearly smoked and drank myself out of college my freshman year---I got very lucky and caught myself in time, but I did lose an academic scholarship because I preferred partying to studying and going to class.

I think you're becoming a little too enthusiastic about illegal drugs.  Yes, they're fun---that's why people use them.  But if you're going to use them, fully understanding all the dangers, then do so as responsibly as possible.  That means at reasonable doses, in reasonable places, at reasonable times.  While studying is not a reasonable time to use mind-altering drugs. 

Furthermore, this is not a drug forum---it's a movie forum. We're not here to trade tips on illegal activities. 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Vik
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 01:19:37 PM »

(1) C'mon, Pillow, this is obviously a terrible idea.  One of marijuana's primary negative effects is short term memory loss.  What would be the point of studying if you're going to forget what you're studying as you're doing it?

(2) Honestly, man, please take advice from someone who's "been there, done that."  I nearly smoked and drank myself out of college my freshman year---I got very lucky and caught myself in time, but I did lose an academic scholarship because I preferred partying to studying and going to class.

(3) I think you're becoming a little too enthusiastic about illegal drugs.  Yes, they're fun---that's why people use them.  But if you're going to use them, fully understanding all the dangers, then do so as responsibly as possible.  That means at reasonable doses, in reasonable places, at reasonable times.  While studying is not a reasonable time to use mind-altering drugs. 

(4) Furthermore, this is not a drug forum---it's a movie forum. We're not here to trade tips on illegal activities. 
(1) I've read about focusing and marijuana and studying, and read that plenty people find it quite helpful, aparently, but that it differs from person to person, they say. A lot of doctors are pro the prescription of marijuana to those who suffer from Attention Deficit Disorder (something I have, too), because it's said to help greatly, and not have the negative side effects drugs like ritalin do have. Based on that, I honestly don't think my question was all that ludicrous.

(2) There's a difference between exaggerating in your usage and taking it in mild dosages.

(3) Yes, that's why I read about them a lot, constantly before doing anything. I've only done marijuana before. I'm curious about LSD, but I'm not even thinking about doing it before I know more about them. I've talked to several friends who've had experience with the stuff, read plenty articles, and got a full book on it from the library, which I now still have to read, but I'll be starting on it soon. And then I'll decide whether I'll do it or not. I think you confused my curiosity and interest in them with being irresponsible about them.

(4) It's off topic discussion? I merely asked a question out of curiosity and rumors that I had heard.
Vik
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 01:33:33 PM »

I probably should have written a more elaborate post creating this thread. Sorry about that.
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 01:59:44 PM »

I would have to agree with Rev simply on the basis that memorizing stuff on marijuana would be about as productive as spraying a hose pipe in your face to help you breathe better  TeddyR

I'm not anti-weed, a few of my close friends smoke it and I used to smoke way too much, but I haven't touched it for nearly 10 years now. I have no recollection of what it feels like to be 'stoned'.

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 03:06:42 PM »

I've smoked a lot of weed before, but I have never tried it while studying. I've read that it actually helps the process. Has anyone tried it before, if yes, how did it work out for you?

I've done it many times.  At first, I did exceptionally well being stoned while studying.  I would get into the "zone" and just focus on the subject and homework relentlessly until it was done.
Then, after so many months of that, it started going the other way.  I lost track of things, forgot what I was thinking, and generally just felt like playing video games instead of doing homework.  It got to the point where I couldn't smoke before studying or homework anymore because it simply wouldn't get done.

So yes, it does depend on the person.  Moderation is the key.   Wink  Thumbup
Vik
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 03:08:26 PM »

I've done it many times.  At first, I did exceptionally well being stoned while studying.  I would get into the "zone" and just focus on the subject and homework relentlessly until it was done.
Then, after so many months of that, it started going the other way.  I lost track of things, forgot what I was thinking, and generally just felt like playing video games instead of doing homework.  It got to the point where I couldn't smoke before studying or homework anymore because it simply wouldn't get done.

Thanks  Wink A response like that is what I was looking for.
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 04:57:10 PM »

Realize that many people who want MJ legalized will say ANYTHING to try and get people to accept it. Much of it is BS.

Also, this is (I believe) why so many people have a problem with today's drug culture: People who feel the need to do drugs seem to want them to permeate every aspect of their lives. Apply this thinking to tobacco or alcohol and you'll see how absurd it looks to people around you. It doesn't even remotely sound healthy. 
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 05:18:29 PM by ghouck » Logged

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 06:17:34 PM »

You mean, a response that suggested it was OK to go ahead and try it.  Wink

I'm actually for decriminalization of marijuana, but I can't believe anyone would actually consider using it as a study aid.  Would you get drunk and study?  Really, the best you can hope for is that the effect is neutral. 

I don't have time to search for a real scientific article, but here's something I found that states the common sense position: http://palyvoice.com/node/17069.  According to this article even NORML thinks it's a bad idea.  If I had time I would follow up on the primary sources.

Now, I wouldn't say that marijuana's intellectual effects are all bad.  It does seem to be of some aid in intuitive/creative thinking. I found that I would get a ton of ideas, some good, some bad, while high, but I couldn't execute them properly (or at least efficiently) while high.  I did a test on myself when I was smoking.  I decided to try and write a limerick.  I found that I could do it and produce average work, but it took about twice as long as normal.  On the other hand I would take notes for story and article ideas while high, but I actually did the work on the few good idea seeds I developed when I was sober and clear headed.

And as far as discussion of illegal drugs in the off topic forum goes, I suppose it's OK if Andrew is willing to accept it.  But it strikes me as strange.  We don't use the off topic forums to discuss picking up hookers or other forms of illegal activity. 

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 06:50:27 PM »

I personally believe that marijuana is unique in how differently it affects different people. I've known the occasional odd man out who performs surprisingly well under its influence. But an enhancement? I don't think I would go that far, and only for a very slim number of people at that.

It's been many years since I smoked marijuana, but when I did, I performed pretty well at certain tasks. They tended to be of the "zoney" variety, like yardwork or hanging drywall or laying flooring. Getting started was another story altogether, however, but once I was there I would do quite well. I wouldn't call it a benefit, however. As for studying, I can't say I tried it much, but would say I probably had a similar experience to Rev's.

On the whole, while I advocate decriminalization of marijuana, I would never consider it an enhancement of any non-recreational activity, and would discourage it.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Vik
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 11:46:33 PM »

I'm actually for decriminalization of marijuana, but I can't believe anyone would actually consider using it as a study aid.  Would you get drunk and study?  Really, the best you can hope for is that the effect is neutral. 

I don't have time to search for a real scientific article, but here's something I found that states the common sense position: http://palyvoice.com/node/17069.  According to this article even NORML thinks it's a bad idea.  If I had time I would follow up on the primary sources.

Now, I wouldn't say that marijuana's intellectual effects are all bad.  It does seem to be of some aid in intuitive/creative thinking. I found that I would get a ton of ideas, some good, some bad, while high, but I couldn't execute them properly (or at least efficiently) while high.  I did a test on myself when I was smoking.  I decided to try and write a limerick.  I found that I could do it and produce average work, but it took about twice as long as normal.  On the other hand I would take notes for story and article ideas while high, but I actually did the work on the few good idea seeds I developed when I was sober and clear headed.

And as far as discussion of illegal drugs in the off topic forum goes, I suppose it's OK if Andrew is willing to accept it.  But it strikes me as strange.  We don't use the off topic forums to discuss picking up hookers or other forms of illegal activity. 

No, I meant a reply for someone who's tried it before, and can tell me how it's worked for him. And no, I'd never get drunk to study because nothing suggests this would be helpful. There are claims, however, that marijuana would help, and that's why I decided to ask, to see if anyone on the forum had any experience with it, good OR bad

The experiences with it you wrote are very helpful, too. It does seem to have a different effect on different people. My apologies if this isn't allowed on here, I just figured considering there's a drug thread that it would be ok to talk about it.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 06:19:10 AM »

I detest all drug use so much that I can't imagine anything I have to say about it would be welcome here.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 09:39:54 AM »

No, I meant a reply for someone who's tried it before, and can tell me how it's worked for him. And no, I'd never get drunk to study because nothing suggests this would be helpful. There are claims, however, that marijuana would help, and that's why I decided to ask, to see if anyone on the forum had any experience with it, good OR bad

The experiences with it you wrote are very helpful, too. It does seem to have a different effect on different people. My apologies if this isn't allowed on here, I just figured considering there's a drug thread that it would be ok to talk about it.

Sorry if I come off as confrontational.  It's just that I see this proposal as a Very Bad Idea.  The reason I'm moved to discuss it is it sounds like the kind of Very Bad Idea I would have had at your age.  I can't go back in time and verbally kick my own ass at that age, but I can kick yours.  Wink 

In my experience it is dangerous when you stop thinking of a drug as a rare and special treat, and instead start wondering whether you can integrate it into your daily life, or even imagine that it might have benefits.

You are to be congratulated for doing your research.  But anecdotal evidence in the field of recreational drugs is close to worthless (either pro or con).  Too many urban legends, too many self-serving exaggerations.  It's hard to find people who know what they're talking about willing to give you unbiased information on drugs. 

Vik
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 10:12:22 AM »

(1)Sorry if I come off as confrontational.  It's just that I see this proposal as a Very Bad Idea.  The reason I'm moved to discuss it is it sounds like the kind of Very Bad Idea I would have had at your age.  I can't go back in time and verbally kick my own ass at that age, but I can kick yours.  Wink 

(2) In my experience it is dangerous when you stop thinking of a drug as a rare and special treat, and instead start wondering whether you can integrate it into your daily life, or even imagine that it might have benefits.

(3) You are to be congratulated for doing your research.  But anecdotal evidence in the field of recreational drugs is close to worthless (either pro or con).  Too many urban legends, too many self-serving exaggerations.  It's hard to find people who know what they're talking about willing to give you unbiased information on drugs. 

(1) I was, and still am extremely dubious and sceptical about these claims. But if it helps for certain people I think it's worth looking into, no matter how unlikely of an idea it seems to be.

(2) I agree, it is dangerous, and I was not planning on integrating it, really. I wouldn't even be able to do this, even if I want to, still living at home. If I'd run around high constantly it'd get noticed in a heartbeat. But even if this wasn't the case, I wouldn't even dream of relying on weed because I'm too afraid of becoming psychologically dependent on it, which is another reason why I only smoke it on occasion (I don't even do it weekly ;) ). I can understand your worry, but I'm careful enough to not let something like that happen.

(3) I agree here, too. My only motive for this thread was curiosity, and really nothing else. Knowing that a great deal of the members here smoke, or have smoked marijuana, I thought I'd come up with some, yes, anecdotes from you guys, and that's all I wanted. I don't do too much studying anyways, to be honest, it was, again, for curiosity's sake only. I just think you made a little too many assumptions about my perspective on illegal substances (though I can definitely understand your confusion here, it has largely to do with lazy and non-elaborate posting on my part). I didn't mean to advocate them at all. If there's anything I want it's to be realistic about drugs. I'd never stay willfully ignorant concerning their bad sides, simply because this would be a dangerous thing to do.

It's just that I heard a considerate amount of people make this claim, and because of that I didn't want to throw it out the door immediatly without researching it a little more. Hence, this thread.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 10:15:45 AM by Pillow » Logged
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2011, 12:42:06 PM »

(1) I was, and still am extremely dubious and sceptical about these claims. But if it helps for certain people I think it's worth looking into, no matter how unlikely of an idea it seems to be.
Keep in mind, certain people can get kicked in the nuts and like it, certain people can get struck by lightning and it makes the smarter or heals various medical conditions.  Never forget that just because something works on certain people that certain people aren't freaks. 
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Marijuana and Studying « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.