Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:27:23 PM
713372 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  movies you like but don't understand what they are about « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: movies you like but don't understand what they are about  (Read 12286 times)
bob
I survived Bucky Larson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« on: October 25, 2011, 04:35:55 PM »

just as the title says.

La Strada (1954) for comes to mind to me instantly. Something tells me that the director was trying to do more then depict the lives of circus performers.

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 10:07:55 AM »

just as the title says.

La Strada (1954) for comes to mind to me instantly. Something tells me that the director was trying to do more then depict the lives of circus performers.

Coincidentally, I got this from Netflix and watched it last Saturday.  If you watch the Martin Scorsese intro on the DVD, it might give you some insight.

One that comes to mind for me is David Lynch's INLAND EMPIRE.  It's a barrage of great images and snippets of dialogue, but is very disorienting. 

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 10:25:01 AM »

One that comes to mind for me is David Lynch's INLAND EMPIRE.  It's a barrage of great images and snippets of dialogue, but is very disorienting. 

Some people have spent way too much time trying to analyze this one, but I am pretty damn sure it's Lynch's try at true surrealism---like "Un Chien Andalou," it isn't intended to make any literal, conscious sense.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 12:10:45 PM »

Naked Lunch.

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Vik
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 12:31:29 PM »

I didn't fully understand 2001: A Space Odyssey at first viewing, but loved it anyways. I like to think I understand most of it now, though.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 12:59:17 PM »

I didn't have a clue what was going on in 2001, but it was still very cool.  It's all explained in 2010 pretty much.

Still don't know what's going on in Zardoz, but that's kind of what's fun about it.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 01:25:32 PM »

Still don't know what's going on in Zardoz, but that's kind of what's fun about it.

Everyone is taking a lot of drugs while making a movie.  Smile

zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 02:16:48 PM »

Sick Nurses

any Cheech + Chong  TeddyR

Celine & Julie Go Boating

the ultimate "wtf?" film I ever saw though is VALERIE AND HER WEEK OF WONDERS

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 06:35:11 PM »

EL TOPO-I read an interview with the director in an old Castle of Frankenstein magazine-and he didnt make a dam bit of sense,either!!!

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 07:38:28 PM »

Cool World:  Have no idea what the main thing or story was about in the film since the most of the time movie seemed doped up on something and busy pulling crap out of their asses that suppose to be the plot I think.  At least it looked cool (no pun intended), had decent voice acting, and a neat soundtrack.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 04:09:04 PM »

One that comes to mind for me is David Lynch's INLAND EMPIRE.  It's a barrage of great images and snippets of dialogue, but is very disorienting.  

Some people have spent way too much time trying to analyze this one, but I am pretty damn sure it's Lynch's try at true surrealism---like "Un Chien Andalou," it isn't intended to make any literal, conscious sense.

I am decidedly a DL fan, but I still haven't worked up the courage to watch Inland Empire. I've read that the movie was largely made in a stream-of-consciousness fashion, with the actors showing up not having any idea what they were going to do that day. Lynch himself started production without a complete screenplay, showing up and handing out pages of freshly written dialogue every day. He said that he had never made a film that way.

I know I'll catch it some day, but I feel like I have to be in a certain frame of mind to undertake a viewing, and the problem is I'm not sure what frame that is.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 11:37:04 PM »

Eraserhead comes to mind. I adore it, and kinda get it now. First time I watched, I needed a shower.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 07:54:12 AM »

One that comes to mind for me is David Lynch's INLAND EMPIRE.  It's a barrage of great images and snippets of dialogue, but is very disorienting.  

I am decidedly a DL fan, but I still haven't worked up the courage to watch Inland Empire. I've read that the movie was largely made in a stream-of-consciousness fashion, with the actors showing up not having any idea what they were going to do that day. Lynch himself started production without a complete screenplay, showing up and handing out pages of freshly written dialogue every day. He said that he had never made a film that way.

I know I'll catch it some day, but I feel like I have to be in a certain frame of mind to undertake a viewing, and the problem is I'm not sure what frame that is.

I bought the DVD when it was released and envisioned myself watching about half of it, then taking a break and watching the rest a few days later.  However, I ended up watching it all in one sitting.  I don't know why because it's not easy to follow by any stretch of the imagination.  But it had a hypnotic quality that kept me watching it until the very end.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Jim H

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 11:38:54 AM »

El Topo, I know, is mostly impossible to understand as it has meaning specific to the director which he didn't even try to make clear to the audience.  Which is pretty stupid in my book. 
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 12:15:14 PM »

El Topo, I know, is mostly impossible to understand as it has meaning specific to the director which he didn't even try to make clear to the audience.  Which is pretty stupid in my book. 

I agree that EL TOPO has a meaning specific to the director and it's not clear to the audience.  I don't agree it's a stupid method, however.  To me it's like looking at an old religious text where the precise symbolism, which would have been understood by someone in the ancient culture, is lost on you, but you can still feel the poetry in the words.  Like the experience I would have trying to read the Bhagavad Gita, and even most of the Old Testament.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  movies you like but don't understand what they are about « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.