Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:25:24 PM
713374 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Uncomfortable Situation « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Uncomfortable Situation  (Read 4032 times)
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« on: October 26, 2011, 04:27:41 PM »

So, I work for a rather large organization. I have developed a few working relationships, a couple of friendships, but ultimately there are so many people in my place of work that there are people I see but never really meet or talk to.

There’s this lady, about 50-ish, that I can swear I’ve never talked to for any length of time. Whatever interactions we’ve had have been the typical ones where you have a short interaction in the break room or something like that. For example, Person A is washing out his coffee cup in the sink, looks around and sees Person B waiting for the sink, and says “Oh, I’m in your way,” and Person B says “Why I outta,” they chuckle, and then both go about their day. The two people don’t know each other from Adam, yet they had a tiny social interaction. I’m pretty sure I’ve never had any interactions with her that were anything more than that.

So, every so often I pass by her and she greets me as if we’ve known each other our whole lives. She asks about how I’m doing, I think she’s even asked about my family (I’m not positive about that one though). She acts as if we are far more acquainted than we actually are. She’s very friendly, not necessarily creepy at all, but it makes me very uncomfortable, like I’m supposed to know her but I have no idea what her name is or anything. It’s almost like an episode of Twilight Zone. Today in the elevator she made a big to-do about my having shaved off my facial hair. It feels so awkward. I can’t for the life of me figure it out. I’ve run into people who are just very bubbly and friendly, but this goes beyond that. And the thing is, I always see her walking and talking with a lot of people, so it’s not like she’s some kind of lone nut, she obviously knows a lot of people.

It makes me very uncomfortable. Maybe she’s just one of those people who files away little details about people and remembers them, and maybe we had some short conversation that I don’t remember and she does. If so, then I feel bad. Or maybe she’s a little creepy, but she doesn’t seem creepy. Has anybody else ever had a similar situation? I mean, I’m not the most sociable person in the world, but I’m not a recluse either.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 04:30:49 PM »

I get uncomfortable when people I don't know very well get too close to me or touch me while we are talking.  I need at least 2 feet of space (more is preferable) between us. 

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 04:31:23 PM »

Don't be so bothered about it Flick. I've worked with countless people who are like that. Yes, they could be all friendly and bubbly genuinely and yes, it could be an act because they want to be well liked. I usually find people like that are just a bit nosey because they've not much going on in their own lives. I always just smile and try to keep conversation to an absolute minimum.  

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 05:23:01 PM »

What's weirdest of all is that I genuinely feel bad at every one of those interactions. She seems genuinely friendly, and it's like I'm trying to get away from her as fast as I can not because she creeps me out, but because I don't want her to find out that I have no idea who she is. So there's this almost instinctual feeling I get like I should know who she is but I don't. Like I missed something. That's the Twilight Zone aspect of it and it's bugging the crap out of me.

Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 06:22:05 PM »

I get that a lot working in customer service. I'm polite and helpful, which some people really take a shine to not knowing I'm like that with everybody. So every time after that they see me after that they light up and make a point at greeting me.

Thing is, to them, I'm the one guy at the library. To me, they are one among a hundred other people I helped that day. Often times, I have no recollection of the previous encounter, unless something out of the ordinary happened (Alan Rickman-led terrorist attack).

I wouldn't worry about it. Just go with the flow and stick with the interactions you do remember. Worst comes to worst, you end up in a situation where you have to admit you don't really know who she is. If she's genuinely friendly, I'm sure you'll be able to laugh it off.

Of course, if she's one of those creepy "I have people skills" people, that might not be so fun (Fatal Attraction).

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 06:59:39 AM »

Can't you just ask a co-worker what her name is?  I'm sure you're not the only one who's a bit taken aback by her.  Where I work pro-friendly person and anti-friendly person clique groups would have formed long ago.  Smile

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 07:21:51 AM »

I need at least 2 feet of space (more is preferable) between us. 

If it's me you're talking to, you need several miles between us due to the state of my undies, the stench and those ever present flies.  Buggedout Twirling Wink TongueOut TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
akiratubo

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 09:50:18 AM »

She has different ideas about acceptable casual behavior, or else she's just very friendly.  You shouldn't worry about it.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Hammock Rider

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 10:49:21 AM »

She may be siphoning off your vital energies or possibly laying down a voodoo curse. Consult a priest experienced in battling the occult and if necessary, Peter Vincent.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 11:17:41 AM »

She may be siphoning off your vital energies or possibly laying down a voodoo curse. Consult a priest experienced in battling the occult and if necessary, Peter Vincent.

Finally a possibility that makes sense.

BounceGiggle

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 04:11:44 PM »

I need at least 2 feet of space (more is preferable) between us. 

If it's me you're talking to, you need several miles between us due to the state of my undies, the stench and those ever present flies.  Buggedout Twirling Wink TongueOut TeddyR

The stench is like a magnetic field that draws people in closer . . . there's no way to escape it . . . FOR GOD'S SAKE, THERE'S NO WAY TO ESCAPE IT!

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 04:55:24 PM »

Finally a possibility that makes sense.

BounceGiggle

Hilarious!  TeddyR

zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 05:57:16 PM »

Can't you just ask a co-worker what her name is? 
what I was thinking - but then again there have been a couple of times I have got to know someone pretty well jus through frequently being in the same place, yet somehow never managed to get their name. and this creates weirdness, because the more you go on and better you know them, the more stupid and humiliating it will become when you need to ask what their name is?!

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Menard
Bad Movie Lover

I Am Vitriol...When You Say My Name You Praise Me

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 10:47:30 PM »

It makes me very uncomfortable. Maybe she’s just one of those people who files away little details about people and remembers them, and maybe we had some short conversation that I don’t remember and she does. If so, then I feel bad. Or maybe she’s a little creepy, but she doesn’t seem creepy. Has anybody else ever had a similar situation? I mean, I’m not the most sociable person in the world, but I’m not a recluse either.

Can you feel the sympathy?

::giggle::

Too bad were not all cookie cutter and go to work, come home, cut out little paper dolls...oh wait a minute...wasn't that is in Invasion of the Body Snatchers?

I mean she could be sizing you up for her next barbecue...where you will be the main course, but my guess would be that the two of you are different social animals.

I've run into people like that, and sometimes they do make you uncomfortable; but consider that you may make somebody uncomfortable too, not because of anything specifically about you, or that you are purposefully doing, but sometimes people just don't click with each other.

Sometimes people just don't click with me...if you could imagine. I don't know where in the world some people get the idea that I'm crude, crass, and have anti-social behavior (shut up pussies).

Some things just simply are what they are. We are not all born equal in all categories. Myself, I have an aptitude for numbers, for one, and sometimes don't get it that some others don't when I see them counting things one at a time or having to use a calculator for basic math.

On the other hand I have a poor memory for colors. There are very few people I can tell you what color their eyes are because I just don't remember; and I've had other instances where I was just dead wrong on the color of something from memory.

We have strengths and weaknesses, and that can be in social skills as well. There are opposite ends of the spectrum from anti-social behavior associated with some types of autism to overtly social behavior that can be associated with Williams Syndrome.

Of course, if she comes at you with a knife, you hear the door lock behind you and turn around to find her standing against it, or if she asks you if you have skin reactions to basting sauce...then you might have reason to be a little worried. TongueOut
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 12:34:08 AM by Menard » Logged

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 12:23:32 AM »

BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

Would that be the Roddy McDowall version or the David Tennant version?  TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Uncomfortable Situation « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.