Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:19:38 PM
714223 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Already? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Already?  (Read 7922 times)
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« on: November 01, 2011, 03:08:00 PM »

Once upon a time people could at least get through Thanksgiving before being assaulted with the Christmas holiday hype. Not so anymore.

Even before Halloween hit yesterday, I was already getting Christmas marketing hitting me in the Sunday paper. Please, people, can I at least have my Turkey dinner first? Geez.

Part of the reason for this is because Thanksgiving has become a holiday that can't really be exploited for merchandizing. Think about it. There's really no merchandizing to speak of for it. Halloween? Merchandizing of candy, costumes, decorations, fog machines, etc. Not as much as the mother of all merchanized holidays, but still. So I doubt there will be the holiday rush starting much earlier than Halloween, because Halloween at least carries some dollar weight, but it seems Thanksgiving is becoming the holiday that is more of an annoyance to people. I love Thanksgiving. I don't want to have to start stressing about Christmas the day after Halloween.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
claws
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 03:15:23 PM »

I used to work in retail and we would stock Christmas stuff (mostly sweets) in stores the first week of September.
Wasn't always like this. Back in the 80s you wouldn't get hit by Christmas holiday hype before December. Times sure have changed.
Skull
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 03:46:41 PM »

Times sure have changed?

Odd... Peanuts would make fun of this in one of there cartoons (not sure if it's Thanksgiving, Christmas or Easter, or maybe thier Halloween special) and they are from the 1960's...

I do like the Peanuts cartoon but I'm not a fan about their anti-capital message and dont have the heart to watch the cartoons with our 3-year-old (unless she has a need to see it and so far she doesnt!)

I do believe it's impactive since most of us are living from paycheck to paycheck and dont know where the extra cash for thanksgiving and/or christmas is comming from.

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 03:52:07 PM »

A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving mentioned this back in the '60s. Stan Freberg has a comedy song from like, the '50s, called Green Christmas which mocks the practice of 'Christmas creep'.

I have MusicChoice on my cable system, as well as free movies to rent. On the music stations, heard a couple Christmas songs today, and saw A Christmas Story is available for viewing.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 03:56:33 PM »

Xmas blows, if you disagree leave the presents at my door and leave me alone.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
claws
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 04:27:30 PM »

Times sure have changed?

Odd... Peanuts would make fun of this in one of there cartoons (not sure if it's Thanksgiving, Christmas or Easter, or maybe thier Halloween special) and they are from the 1960's...

This might be so but I should have mentioned that I'm located in Germany. Christmas wasn't a consumer orgy here back in the days. It sure is now.
akiratubo

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 04:27:52 PM »

We don't celebrate Thanksgiving or Christmas.  You wouldn't believe how much nicer the holiday season is when you don't have to pretend to be happy to see extended family members you can't stand.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 09:14:44 PM »

To elaborate on my prior post (which is the footnote version of what I'm about to post), it has never been a secret on this board how much I loathe Christmas.  Yes...loathe...as in simply detest the holiday about the same as dealing with a bout of dysentery.  Its almost like poison ivy to me that makes me itch whenever I come near it.  People tell me all the time "ha, ha, ha...you really don't mean that..." or tell me "there's no way anyone can HATE X-mas" amongst other things.  Let me assure you that I in fact DO mean what I say and YES X-mas is very hatable.  Before I go on, let me say I'm not looking for a flame war.  Nor do I expect everyone to agree with me but these are my thoughts on why I hate the holiday.  

Before I go on, let me certify that I grew up adoring Christmas.  My family although being a small group, went over and beyond to give me many great memories of the holiday.  I never lost anyone dear to me around that time of the year nor has anything tragic happened.  Hell, I still enjoy intaking the movies and shows I watched back in the day which bring back the fun memories of being a kid.  

However, my hatred of it stems from so many directions.  I never really sat down to explore it but heres what I think is up.  First, I hate being fake and I hate fake people.  To me Xmas is beyond fake.  As Akira pointed out above, there is a lot of "pretend" going on around that holiday.  "Oh hey (insert random name), how have you been!  Its good to see you!  Here is a gift for you..."  A good percent of the time, I don't care how said person has been, nor is it good to see them and the fact I had to blow money and waste time on a gift I didn't want to buy for them puts the icing on the cake.  

Which brings me to this...the whole gift giving thing is just dumb to me.  Running around like a chicken with your head cut off on black friday...also dumb.  I remember my wife and I would always put a limit on each other gift wise.  I often wondered if we were spending the same money on each other, why not just wash the money and simply buy what we wanted for ourselves.  

As you all know, Halloween is simply the best holiday in the world to me.  Its simply sad we get Xmas nonsense jackhammered down our throat now a day friggin' after!!!  The music is blaring on local radio shows.  I mean who in their right mind could listen to white Christmas by 100 artists over 1,000 times between now and Dec. 25?   Then theres the retail end.  I did 8 long years in retail which totally drove me insane when it came to this time of year.  Still I can't blame that alone for my spite of the holiday.  Rather, its something I've always felt inside after getting out childhood.

Also, let me say this, Christmas decorations are tacky.  The lights, the decorations on the tree, the tree itself, the nutcrackers, the singing santas...its all a tacky festival.  Halloween decorations at least have some sort of character and have the balls to press the limits of bad taste.  Xmas decor simply says "HI EVERYONE, LETS BE FRIENDS..YEAAAAAA!"  Lame s**t man, lame s**t.  The food at Xmas...subpar.  It pretty much plagiarizes Thanksgiving.  And the weather...cold, miserable and often involving snow in my area.  

Lastly its pretty much apparent (though I don't go into it much), I'm not religious.   I won't go into it much further than that out of respect for the board's religious folk.  

If you dig the holiday go on with your jolly self and enjoy it.  Put up your lights and drink your egg nogg while tapping your penny loafers to jingle bell rock while wearing that ugly sweater with the Xmas tree knitted on it.  I however feel no need or attachment for this particular holiday.  And yes I have kids and absolutely I do not spoil it for them.  All Xmas to me is a thorn in my side.  And no, I will not have a Scrooge or Grinch moment so don't ever ask me to reconsider.  

Wooo...that was cleansing.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 09:20:17 PM by DS » Logged

DarkSider's Realm

Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 07:29:22 AM »

To elaborate on my prior post (which is the footnote version of what I'm about to post), it has never been a secret on this board how much I loathe Christmas.  Yes...loathe...as in simply detest the holiday about the same as dealing with a bout of dysentery.  Its almost like poison ivy to me that makes me itch whenever I come near it.  People tell me all the time "ha, ha, ha...you really don't mean that..." or tell me "there's no way anyone can HATE X-mas" amongst other things.  Let me assure you that I in fact DO mean what I say and YES X-mas is very hatable.  Before I go on, let me say I'm not looking for a flame war.  Nor do I expect everyone to agree with me but these are my thoughts on why I hate the holiday.  

Before I go on, let me certify that I grew up adoring Christmas.  My family although being a small group, went over and beyond to give me many great memories of the holiday.  I never lost anyone dear to me around that time of the year nor has anything tragic happened.  Hell, I still enjoy intaking the movies and shows I watched back in the day which bring back the fun memories of being a kid.  

However, my hatred of it stems from so many directions.  I never really sat down to explore it but heres what I think is up.  First, I hate being fake and I hate fake people.  To me Xmas is beyond fake.  As Akira pointed out above, there is a lot of "pretend" going on around that holiday.  "Oh hey (insert random name), how have you been!  Its good to see you!  Here is a gift for you..."  A good percent of the time, I don't care how said person has been, nor is it good to see them and the fact I had to blow money and waste time on a gift I didn't want to buy for them puts the icing on the cake.  

Which brings me to this...the whole gift giving thing is just dumb to me.  Running around like a chicken with your head cut off on black friday...also dumb.  I remember my wife and I would always put a limit on each other gift wise.  I often wondered if we were spending the same money on each other, why not just wash the money and simply buy what we wanted for ourselves.  

As you all know, Halloween is simply the best holiday in the world to me.  Its simply sad we get Xmas nonsense jackhammered down our throat now a day friggin' after!!!  The music is blaring on local radio shows.  I mean who in their right mind could listen to white Christmas by 100 artists over 1,000 times between now and Dec. 25?   Then theres the retail end.  I did 8 long years in retail which totally drove me insane when it came to this time of year.  Still I can't blame that alone for my spite of the holiday.  Rather, its something I've always felt inside after getting out childhood.

Also, let me say this, Christmas decorations are tacky.  The lights, the decorations on the tree, the tree itself, the nutcrackers, the singing santas...its all a tacky festival.  Halloween decorations at least have some sort of character and have the balls to press the limits of bad taste.  Xmas decor simply says "HI EVERYONE, LETS BE FRIENDS..YEAAAAAA!"  Lame s**t man, lame s**t.  The food at Xmas...subpar.  It pretty much plagiarizes Thanksgiving.  And the weather...cold, miserable and often involving snow in my area.  

Lastly its pretty much apparent (though I don't go into it much), I'm not religious.   I won't go into it much further than that out of respect for the board's religious folk.  

If you dig the holiday go on with your jolly self and enjoy it.  Put up your lights and drink your egg nogg while tapping your penny loafers to jingle bell rock while wearing that ugly sweater with the Xmas tree knitted on it.  I however feel no need or attachment for this particular holiday.  And yes I have kids and absolutely I do not spoil it for them.  All Xmas to me is a thorn in my side.  And no, I will not have a Scrooge or Grinch moment so don't ever ask me to reconsider.  

Wooo...that was cleansing.

Oh, come on. You don't really mean that. Nobody hates Christmas.  TeddyR

I can fully appreciate your points DS, and to a lesser degree, I agree with them. I loathe the over-commercialization of essentially a religious holiday (yes, I know it was co-opted by Christianity), and I dislike that stores have begun putting out Christmas displays in September. I happen to be one of the lucky ones who actually enjoy seeing my relatives, so the visiting aspect is something I look forward to since we have all spread out and cannot get together regularly. I don't like buying presents, so I made myself into the weird uncle who buys very odd things for the kids, and they usually seem to appreciate the silliness. As for my own family, we have always emphasized the religious aspect, so the presents, while there, aren't the focus, so we don't overdo there. Since we keep it simple, it's a nice holiday for us and a nice break from routine.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 08:11:32 AM »

MusicChoice channel 433 on Comcast is playing 24 hours a day Christmas Music.  Started November 1st at midnight, and ends on January 6.

I like it to a degree but two full months is a bit overkill.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 08:22:24 AM »

I'm actually listening to Christmas music on my iPod in my office at this very moment . . .

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 08:37:37 AM »

I've been saving this just for Darksider's first annual anti-Christmas rant   TeddyR

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Cthulhu

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 09:40:42 AM »

Hey, there is only 52 days until christmas. Can YOU get ready under 52 days? Didn't think so.

Jokes aside. Seriously? Seriously?
I'm glad I haven't seen anything christmas related over here....yet.
Goddamn, there are two months until christmas. What's the point in starting with all the holidays crap now?
Will you buy more gifts? I don't think so.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 10:11:50 AM »

Also, let me say this, Christmas decorations are tacky.  The lights, the decorations on the tree, the tree itself, the nutcrackers, the singing santas...its all a tacky festival.

I won't disagree with anything else you said... but come on, how can a bad movie lover not appreciate tacky decorations?  (Seriously, the garish lights are my favorite part of the holiday!)

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2011, 11:09:45 AM »

I've been saving this just for Darksider's first annual anti-Christmas rant   TeddyR

Jack I think you just made the holidays brighter.   BounceGiggle

Also, let me say this, Christmas decorations are tacky.  The lights, the decorations on the tree, the tree itself, the nutcrackers, the singing santas...its all a tacky festival.

I won't disagree with anything else you said... but come on, how can a bad movie lover not appreciate tacky decorations?  (Seriously, the garish lights are my favorite part of the holiday!)

Touche Rev...touche.   BounceGiggle  Actually I was more or less referring to the modern stuff people actually think is "cute" or "classy".  A lot of the modern decorations are tacky such as the giant blow up Santas.  HOWEVER, they are still considered "cute" by the general population.  I want people to grunt in disgust when they drive by my house.  I'm actually all for a tacky fest of what people look at as unclassy nowadays to make a parody of the holiday.  The giant lightup plastic Santa, the huge flamable Xmas lights, the tinsil and garland.  Maybe a huge sign that says "FELIZ NAVIDAD" (Roseanne reference anyone?). I so want some of those giant candles that say "Noel" on them.

DarkSider's Realm

Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Already? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.