Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:05:30 PM
714346 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Already? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Already?  (Read 7999 times)
Skull
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2011, 11:45:57 AM »

Before I go on, let me say I'm not looking for a flame war.  Nor do I expect everyone to agree with me but these are my thoughts on why I hate the holiday.  

There is a few things I'll debate (ask Flick) but Christmas isnt one of them. [your last reply wasnt even on my "OMG I need to Flame list ~ lol" ] So you didnt have to justified yourself.

My thoughts on Christmas ~ its a signifies that the year is over and the new one is about to start and if you are greatful for those that did good it would be the best time to say "thank-you!" (not nessary for you to give gifts or spend time with annoying people)

My theory is: If christmas was in the middle of the year then it would be as equal as Easter and the big holiday would be New Years Eve.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2011, 12:29:27 PM »

For the last few years here I've seen Christmas and Halloween stuff side by side in stores although after Halloween, the Christmas stuff completely takes over around here and the endless Christmas music almost drives one off the deep end by the time Christmas finally does roll around. We have Thanksgiving in October so there's only Remembrance Day (basically our war veterans days) as an holiday in November. Personally I think it a little disrespectful how Christmas stuff is out before Remembrance Day but it's not like they can truly commercialize that holiday. And technically I don't really consider Halloween an holiday since there's really no day off for it but still I'd prefer it if shops didn't play Christmas music on that day as I've heard in the past.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2011, 12:40:12 PM »

I get annoyed at the blow-up stuff and some of the other ready-made crap myself. I liked it when you could just buy lights for outside your house, and having a fancy display required you to be creative in how you used them, and put in a little effort. Then we got icicle lights and net lights and flashing lights and chasing lights and lights on wire frames of various shapes and inflatable decorations, so now you can have a huge, elaborate display that still manages to look totally half-assed because no thought or effort went in.

I organized a lighting contest for a couple of years, and always tried to include a landscaper, an artist and a decorator on the judging panel. I wanted to ensure it would not be about size or money spent, but about composition, use of colour, integration with the buildings and landscape, and creativity (those were among the things the judges were asked to rate on a scale of 1 to 10). It was quite satisfying to drive the judges around and hear them praising simple but effective displays, while being totally unimpressed by huge, gaudy collections of random stuff.

The one inflatable decoration I enjoyed was a snowman that was set up in a rural front yard without a lot of shelter. It was a windy day, and this thing was bent right over backward with its arms flailing wildly over its head. I could just imagine it screaming "HEEEEEEEEEELP!" TeddyR Still makes me laugh just thinking about it.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 12:42:30 PM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2011, 02:19:41 PM »

I have a love-hate relationship with Christmas. I actually enjoy the pagan traditions from which the holiday sprung, and and I don't much like the way Christianity has hi-jacked it. And no, I'm not a neo-pagan, I just like some of the yuletide traditions.

I'm with Rev. on the lights. I LOVE Christmas lights.

Some aspects of Christmas are just a huge pain in the ass. Other aspects I love, most of which have to do with my immediate family. The main thing I was expressing annoyance with was that Christmas, for all that I love and hate about it, carries with it a certain amount of stress. The progressively earlier consumer orgy every year just makes me start worrying about the planning and stresses of the holiday sooner than I would like to. I happen to enjoy Thanksgiving. It is a simple and meaningful holiday for me, and I would just like to enjoy it without already being stressed about Christmas.

Just a simple gripe, folks. Nothing more.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2011, 02:28:40 PM »

The best part of Christmas for me is going to my parents' house in the morning to open gifts with my family and then hanging around there all day with the smell of my mother's turkey dinner floating through the house.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
claws
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2011, 02:38:30 PM »

The best part of Christmas for me is going to my parents' house in the morning to open gifts with my family and then hanging around there all day with the smell of my mother's turkey dinner floating through the house.

Pretty much the same here, except that my sisters and me do the cooking.
Skull
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2011, 02:46:46 PM »

I have a love-hate relationship with Christmas. I actually enjoy the pagan traditions...

Funny how you said that... I was in a discussion with my mother-in-law at Halloween night and she was telling us somebody she knew was stuck in a deep Christian family that was against Halloween and this person on his 21st birth (moved out and said I'm trick-or-treating); I thought it was silly but she was going on about their deep Christian faith and I said, it's funny how they are happy to celebrate Christmas with is overloaded with Pagan Traditions... My mother-in-law seemed shock how I suggested Christmas is overloaded with Pagan Traditions... on the other hand she doesnt know that Snakes and Ladders is the orginal name for Chutes and Ladders... :)

Anyway, I hope the 21 year old had fun getting candy... :)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 02:50:52 PM by Skull » Logged
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2011, 04:08:51 PM »

I have a love-hate relationship with Christmas. I actually enjoy the pagan traditions...

Funny how you said that... I was in a discussion with my mother-in-law at Halloween night and she was telling us somebody she knew was stuck in a deep Christian family that was against Halloween and this person on his 21st birth (moved out and said I'm trick-or-treating); I thought it was silly but she was going on about their deep Christian faith and I said, it's funny how they are happy to celebrate Christmas with is overloaded with Pagan Traditions... My mother-in-law seemed shock how I suggested Christmas is overloaded with Pagan Traditions... on the other hand she doesnt know that Snakes and Ladders is the orginal name for Chutes and Ladders... :)

Anyway, I hope the 21 year old had fun getting candy... :)

In my neighborhood growing up there was this one house on the block that was deeply Christian, and shunned Halloween vehemently. This does not bother me. That's fine. They also would make it a point to answer the door to every trick-or-treater and explain to them how they don't acknowledge Halloween and that it is deeply sinful, etc. Again, I've got problem with that. I'm walking up to their front door, it's their domain, they can do that if they want. It was annoying that they were so sneaky about it, having their porch light on and welcoming the door-to-door visitors with an obvious agenda, but eventually we just learned to avoid the house altogether.

Anyway, yes, I've always found it interesting that Christians tend to shun Halloween and embrace Christmas, although both holidays have their roots in largely pagan traditions. It amuses me when I see the phrase "Jesus...the reason for the season." No it's not. The date of Christmas, from what I understand, has little to no coincidence with the date Jesus' birth, and most of the tradtions are derived from pagan yuletide tradtions with Jesus' birth simply injected into it. Again, that's fine. Observe whatever about the holiday you wish to. You just might want to avoid laboring under the delusion that it's somehow a holiday rooted in Christianity that has been sullied by all these other elements. It's more like the other way around.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Skull
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2011, 11:50:29 PM »

I agree 110% with you Flick... :)

The funny part about Christmas and Halloween is they are both Americanized Holidays, sure Thanksgiving and the Fourth of July are true American Holidays but Christmas and Halloween were transformed from their orginal form into what we see today. It's not a bad thing, I tend to see this like evolution (in this case the evolvement of ideas into standalone tradition that's not ment to offend but to have fun)

And Christmas and Halloween is fun.

I also have the deepest respect towards God but I feel indiffrent for the church. I believe God's message is very simple to love and respect others as equals and they will respect you as an equal.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2011, 07:51:42 AM »

I would like Christmas more if it was just a time to relax and have fun. I like Christmas Day, Boxing Day and the week after Christmas because they are just that. You are not expected to be doing anything constructive. Nobody is going to bother you. Just spend time with the family, read, watch movies, play games, eat, drink and unwind. I love that. The last couple of years, we rented a chalet near a ski resort, along with my wife's mother, brother and sisters, and spend a few days over Christmas there. It was great. We not only had fun together, but there was always some stretch of time when everybody would be skating, skiing and whatnot, and I could have a couple of hours of peace and quiet to sit in the jacuzzi with a good book and a few beers on ice.

It's the time leading up to Christmas, full of obligations and deadlines and costs and stress, I can do without. Getting the decorations up, getting the tree up, sending the cards, visiting this person and that person, going shopping at the worst possible time of year, working your butt off so you can take a few days off and not return to a huge mess in January. And even when some of these things can be enjoyable, there is something about Christmas that makes them feel like work. They are expected of you. You have limited time in which to do them. If you're too busy, you'll just have to make the time to do these things. And if you don't, some relative will be disappointed, your wife will be mad, Christmas will be a little less special for the kids, you'll feel guilty. And there is always the fact that Christmas will never be as awesome as you remember it from your childhood.

We need to stop taking Christmas so seriously, and try to keep it fun.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2011, 12:38:04 PM »

It's ridiculous....I've been watching the stores get out their Christmas stuff since early October. I think the retail businesses are just after the holiday bucks and don't think Thanksgiving is worth their time. Sadly,we need to be thankful.

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2011, 07:20:43 AM »

I enjoy every bit of it.  Buying a tree, putting it up, vacuuming up the needles, watering it every morning and letting the cat drink out of the water jug.  Mixing up some eggnog and getting the boxes of ornaments out of the basement.  My wife dragging me out to the malls that are shoulder-to-shoulder people, standing in line for 20 minutes at the checkout as she grins appreciatively at me.  The store displays, little kids lined up to tell Santa what they want, all the kiosks with the salesmen obviously working on commission running after me telling me I should buy a chartreuse silk scarf.  Getting out the ol' Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer and Frosty The Snowman DVD's, the Christmas music everywhere you go, our kids telling me all the stuff they want, me hemming and hawing, my wife buying it for them anyway.

Getting the credit card bill afterwards that nearly knocks me right out of my chair...

Ah heck, it's just good to see everybody so happy.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
JPickettIII
A BAD MOVIE IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE!
Bad Movie Lover

HELP! WE ARE STUCK IN A GOOD MOVIE!!!

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2011, 07:34:06 AM »

We don't celebrate Thanksgiving or Christmas.  You wouldn't believe how much nicer the holiday season is when you don't have to pretend to be happy to see extended family members you can't stand.

That would be nice.  I am stuck doing that :(

\\\\\\\"Freedom is not free\"\\\\\\ or ///\"Where ever you go, there you are!\"///
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2011, 08:28:19 AM »

I've got some hot chocolate in my cup with some old school mid '50s holiday music going.

I always get kinda depressed around now, but the tunes take me back to a time when I was a kid and brings me back up.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2011, 08:52:38 AM »

Yesterday, I walking over to the library drop some of my books off and I saw that city workers were already putting up decorations up.  Gees, talk about jumping the gun.  Can't we wait until Thanksgiving is over with?

If we are going to be celebrating Christmas early, can't we do it in July for fun, like all those cartoon channels use to do?  It was always so fun watching the holiday specials in my shorts and cranking up the air condition.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Already? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.