Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:20:00 AM
713394 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  CREEPY CARTOONS « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: CREEPY CARTOONS  (Read 24130 times)
Ozzymandias
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2012, 12:02:00 AM »

I know they're not intended to be creepy, but for some reason I find most of the very early Merrie Melodies cartoons from the 30s (pre-cursors to what became Looney Tunes) which were in Black & White and featured a lot of singing/dancing, creepy as hell. I love vintage 'toons from the 40s and 50s but those really early 'toons have aged so badly that they look like transmissions from some bizarre netherworld nowadays.

Ah, those are the best kind of creepy cartoons!

Do a web search for Van Bueren studios, a 30's animation stuio which spun off of Aesop's Fable's Studios.  Weird, Weird stuff, their worst cartoons are probably their "Milton and Rita mouse" cartoons.  Milton and Rita look exactly like some other, more famous mice, but with worse animation, and adult situations.  They also have a "Tom and Jerry." No, these weren't a rip-off of Hanna Barbera's characters, Van Bueren was gone long before the famous cat and mouse team came about.  Just look them up.  It's strange, strange stuff.
Ozzymandias speaks: Van Bueren cartoons are some of the worst. They feature animals that all look like Mickey Mouse. Most of them don't make any sense or go nowhere. I've only seen two I really like. One was the Snowman, in which a snowman comes to life and starts terrorizing little animals. It was supposed to cash in on the trend of horror movies at the time. Another is a cartoon about cupid's army and an old batchelor that looks like W.C. Fields and an old spinster. It was banned from TV because the cupid's don't have pants (or genitalia either).

Ozzymandias has spoken!!!
Pacman000
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2012, 10:07:09 AM »

The cupid cartoon came out later, after they had hired some of Disney's ex-animators, after their animation had improved.  Disney  eventually got RKO to distribute his cartoons.  Since Van Bueren was with RKO, Van Bueren found themselves with out a distributor.  They decided to give up, sell off their cartoons, and ask Paul Terry for a job.

Around the same time they made 3 Felix the cat cartoons , which are a staple of arguably-public-domain-cartoon-collections.  I liked these cartoons when I was younger.

Their earliest cartoons, however, are far too weird.
Raffine
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2012, 12:06:01 AM »

Here's a test for a new animation technique from the early sixties called 'Colormation'.

Small | Large

I'm guessing it wasn't too successful due to the horrific nightmare it gave the kiddies.

"A woman?!? What in blazes is she doin' on a spaceship?"

Oh, right. She's a dirty Russkie.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Pacman000
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 11:04:15 AM »

It's not much worse than regular rotoscopy:
http://www.publicdomaintorrents.net/nshowmovie.html?movieid=106
66Crush
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 10:03:28 PM »

I think Disney's "Fantasia" is like a bad acid trip. Disney cartoons in general tend to be weird and depressing.
Raffine

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2012, 10:29:58 PM »

It's not much worse than regular rotoscopy:
http://www.publicdomaintorrents.net/nshowmovie.html?movieid=106

Rotoscoped animation does look weird to me, also, but there is something a bit extra freaky with that colormation stuff. I think it was the odd lack of details - except for those vivid toothy mouths - in the faces.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2012, 08:42:54 PM »

This one unsettled me as a kid, and still does....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNxQcIZ6ji4

Mocked and ridiculed, a lonely pathetic death, forgotten in the freezing cold alone... I can't think of anything more Christmasy than this cartoon.  And I'm serious. 

Small | Large

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2012, 08:33:28 PM »

I recently found out about this one thanks to cracked.com. It's a cartoon from Finland called The Moomins  Its stop motion about a happy couple of hippos, some funny little creatures and THE LIVING EMBODIMENT OF ETERNAL SORROW!!! The creature is called the groke. Anything it touches dies. It moves and looks like some horrible phantom.  On the other hand-it would have made for an awesome villain for some Rankin-Bass Halloween special.

Small | Large

This maybe be one of the only examples of a G rated horror film.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 08:35:59 PM by WingedSerpent » Logged

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2012, 03:41:20 PM »

More Nelvana:
The Devil And Daniel Mouse (1978)
Small | Large

And WWII propaganda:
Small | Large

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2012, 11:49:43 PM »

Do a web search for Van Bueren studios, a 30's animation stuio which spun off of Aesop's Fable's Studios.  Weird, Weird stuff,

Oh yeah, I've seen some of their stuff -- we have several of those "100 Classic Cartoons" public-domain DVD compilations and there are a few of their toons in it. They are vaguely creepy.

This is one of theirs, I find it particularly interesting cuz it was apparently sponsored by Borden Dairies. So it's essentially an 8-minute milk commercial. :D
Small | Large

This one's on at least two of those compilation DVDs I have. It's awful.
Small | Large

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Pacman000
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2012, 09:56:13 AM »

Do a web search for Van Bueren studios, a 30's animation stuio which spun off of Aesop's Fable's Studios.  Weird, Weird stuff,

Oh yeah, I've seen some of their stuff -- we have several of those "100 Classic Cartoons" public-domain DVD compilations and there are a few of their toons in it. They are vaguely creepy.

This is one of theirs, I find it particularly interesting cuz it was apparently sponsored by Borden Dairies. So it's essentially an 8-minute milk commercial. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loF0xd8yGpI

This one's on at least two of those compilation DVDs I have. It's awful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwWqeINZO0c&feature=fvst

Sadly those are some of their better cartoons.
Pacman000
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2012, 08:45:54 PM »

This one makes Van Bueren look good:

Small | Large

66Crush
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2012, 03:23:38 AM »

I agree about the pre-Looney Tunes cartoons, they are nowhere near as good as the ones from the 40's-60's. Bugs Bunny with that tiny little head and an obese Elmer Fudd. What about early Daffy Duck, he acted like he was on crack. I get that same creepy feeling when I watch those early Simpsons shorts from The Tracy Ullman show.
Pacman000
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2012, 01:16:42 PM »

The original 50's Gumby Cartoons are a bit creepy:

Small | Large

Creepy Pilot

Small | Large

After watchinhg this one you will never ever want to cook again!
Edit: There's a longer version of this cartoon which is creepier.

Small | Large

Gumby in a messed-up, copyrighted friendly take off of The Little Prince.  If I'm not mistaken, one of the characters from Davey and Goliath makes a guest appearance.
Edit: This one is actually from the 60's.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 01:34:28 PM by Pacman000 » Logged
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2012, 10:49:29 PM »

Shirt Tales kind of freaks me out.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  CREEPY CARTOONS « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.