Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:32:30 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  First console video game you played? First arcade game you played? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: First console video game you played? First arcade game you played?  (Read 3785 times)
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2011, 04:16:25 PM »

However, before that, the family had a console that I have researched and can't find anything on. It was the mid to late 70's. My parents brought home this console that had no cartridges, and no joysticks or controllers. It was a big console that you put in your lap and had the controls for the game on it. It had about three games on it: Pong, Breakout, and a cheesy pinball-like game that was very unrealistic. The Pong and Breakout games were fun though, given that it was the 70's and that's all there was. This was before Space Invaders ever showed up anywhere. Two people could play, but because there were no separate controllers, the two players had to sit next to each other with the console between them, using the knob to move the Pong slider back and forth.

I tried to find the console I was talking about above. I don't think the one my parents bought was exactly the one below that was produced by Atari, but it was alot like it. I think it might have been a competitor system, because I think it looked a little different than this. Systems like the one below were soon replaced by the Atari 2600 as self-contained systems with only one game just weren't going to last.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2011, 06:11:41 PM »

1st Computer Game: "Thro The Wall" - ZX Spectrum 48K
1st Console Game: "Alex Kidd In Miracle World" - Master System 2
1st Hand-Held game: "Astro Wars"
1st Arcade game in the proper arcades - not sure but probably Pac Man

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2011, 09:19:58 PM »

However, before that, the family had a console that I have researched and can't find anything on. It was the mid to late 70's. My parents brought home this console that had no cartridges, and no joysticks or controllers. It was a big console that you put in your lap and had the controls for the game on it. It had about three games on it: Pong, Breakout, and a cheesy pinball-like game that was very unrealistic. The Pong and Breakout games were fun though, given that it was the 70's and that's all there was. This was before Space Invaders ever showed up anywhere. Two people could play, but because there were no separate controllers, the two players had to sit next to each other with the console between them, using the knob to move the Pong slider back and forth.

I tried to find the console I was talking about above. I don't think the one my parents bought was exactly the one below that was produced by Atari, but it was alot like it. I think it might have been a competitor system, because I think it looked a little different than this. Systems like the one below were soon replaced by the Atari 2600 as self-contained systems with only one game just weren't going to last.

We had one very much like that, except it was 2nd or 3rd generation.  It played about 3 or 4 variants of Pong: you could spin the ball, and I believe you could play doubles on it.  It may have even had breakout on it, I'm not sure.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Couchtr26

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2011, 01:28:26 AM »

First Console: Missile Command - Atari 2600  First I really enjoyed: Super Mario Brothers

First Arcade: Centipede   First I actually enjoyed and pumped quarters in: Golden Axe

First Pinball: Hard to say I wasn't big on them when I was younger.  If I had to guess it would probably be a fantasy themed machine as those were common in the areas I grew up but I haven't the foggiest idea.

First computer game: I was going to say Oregon Trail but it is probably a Batman or something similar for the Commodore 64.  I remember our first PCs were mostly work and I wasn't really allowed to touch (except the Commodore cause it was a hand me down) until the early 90's and flight sims were popular.  First I enjoyed: Probably Centurion: Defender of Rome.  It was a rather old and slightly abnormal strategy game.  It dealt alot with keeping populaces happy as you as Rome conquered territories.  You could make money quickly but revolts were common if you plundered incessantly and usually all encounters with future nations were hostile. 

First handheld: Tetris and enjoyed too.  Tetris is simple but addictive. 

Ah, the good old days.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2011, 02:54:19 AM »

I couldn't tell you the first video game or pinball machine I ever played. They were just always there.

I remember we had an Atari 2600, so I probably played Pac-Man or Combat first.

I can tell you the first time I ever played the NES. There was a display model set up at the Fred Meyers, and I remember a group of children waiting to play Super Mario Bros. I finally got my turn and it was amazing. Super Mario Bros. was so far beyond anything I had played up to that point. The NES was a true turning point in video games.

I love pinball. It makes me sad that they are no longer as prominent as they once were. To be fair, they take a lot of upkeep to remain functional. That being said, the sole company still in the market, Stern, is putting out some amazing machines. There was a lone Lord of the Rings machine in the basement of the MU at ASU, and I spent a lot of time playing that machine. I once got to the point where I was two steps away from destroying the One Ring, but I bungled it. Then the machine broke down and it was taken away.

Stern also released an Indiana Jones machine to coincide with the release of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Terrible movie, but the pinball machine was fantastic. Opening the Ark of the Covenant for the first time is a stupendous moment. The entire machine goes bananas and releases something like eight pinballs at the same time. Ridiculously fun.

If I had discretionary income, there is no doubt in my mind that one of the first things I would buy is one of those Stern machines.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2011, 10:37:16 AM »

I couldn't tell you the first video game or pinball machine I ever played. They were just always there.

I remember we had an Atari 2600, so I probably played Pac-Man or Combat first.

I can tell you the first time I ever played the NES. There was a display model set up at the Fred Meyers, and I remember a group of children waiting to play Super Mario Bros. I finally got my turn and it was amazing. Super Mario Bros. was so far beyond anything I had played up to that point. The NES was a true turning point in video games.

I love pinball. It makes me sad that they are no longer as prominent as they once were. To be fair, they take a lot of upkeep to remain functional. That being said, the sole company still in the market, Stern, is putting out some amazing machines. There was a lone Lord of the Rings machine in the basement of the MU at ASU, and I spent a lot of time playing that machine. I once got to the point where I was two steps away from destroying the One Ring, but I bungled it. Then the machine broke down and it was taken away.

Stern also released an Indiana Jones machine to coincide with the release of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Terrible movie, but the pinball machine was fantastic. Opening the Ark of the Covenant for the first time is a stupendous moment. The entire machine goes bananas and releases something like eight pinballs at the same time. Ridiculously fun.

If I had discretionary income, there is no doubt in my mind that one of the first things I would buy is one of those Stern machines.

I've never been a big pinball player, but I appreciate those that are. I was never very good at it, I guess.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
ChaosTheory

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2011, 12:31:15 PM »

First console: Duck Hunt, and I've hated hunting dogs ever since.
First arcade:  Don't really remember, but I always gravitated toward the pinball machines. 
First computer game: Oregon Trail.  "You have drowned."  Hatred

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  First console video game you played? First arcade game you played? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.