Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:12:28 AM
714196 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7733 Members
Latest Member: Mamie94489
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Some music help, please? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Some music help, please?  (Read 3279 times)
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« on: November 11, 2011, 03:00:10 PM »

I need some suggestions of pieces to look for/buy as sheet music for my daughter to play on flute.  As a present.  Figured you gentlemen were my best bet for a wider range of suggestions.

She's 16 an took up flute just three years ago.  Her H.S. music teacher is quite excited about how she is doing: apparently she has some affinity for it; the teacher had her try the piccolo and was favourably impressed that she did reasonably well on that within minutes as well.

What I am looking for is pieces of fairly popular music that may appeal to her, keeping in mind she finds it much easier to play what she has heard.  So we'll be looking for recordings as well.  Nothing too complicated, but not too too beginner-ish.  Fun.  She has worked out the movie themes to Raiders, Pirates of the Caribbean and Star Wars on her own by ear and several other tunes and gets a lot of mileage out of them.  (As in plays them as she wanders at school and Scout camps etc) She also plays in the school orchestra.

A friend of hers suggested that she pick up some Jethro Tull, but I am not familiar enough to know which songs might be best for her to try.  (If any, that is!)

So: is there anything that comes to mind that might be suitable? 

Thanks for reading!

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 03:27:31 PM »

A friend of hers suggested that she pick up some Jethro Tull, but I am not familiar enough to know which songs might be best for her to try.  (If any, that is!)

So: is there anything that comes to mind that might be suitable? 

Your friend may have been thinking of this piece (based on Bach). I bet a beginner could work out the basic theme (if not the solo). 

Small | Large

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 04:16:53 PM »

Jethro Tull has plenty of flute in it, but Mom might want to check out the lyrics first   TeddyR

The beginning of Stairway to Heaven has a nice little recorder part that I believe works perfectly well on flute.  Probably a bit on the easy side though.

Small | Large

California Dreamin' by the Mamas and the Papas has a flute solo.  Might be a little before her time though.  Heck it's before my time   TeddyR

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 04:40:56 PM »

A solid lead: Thanks Rev!    Thumbup

"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 04:47:03 PM »

Jethro Tull has plenty of flute in it, but Mom might want to check out the lyrics first   TeddyR

Oh oh.  Noted.  Thanks.

The beginning of Stairway to Heaven has a nice little recorder part that I believe works perfectly well on flute.  Probably a bit on the easy side though.

I've wondered about that.  Worth a look.

California Dreamin' by the Mamas and the Papas has a flute solo.  Might be a little before her time though.  Heck it's before my time   TeddyR

lol - she's been exposed to more 'oldies' than many her age.   Wink  That one is also worth considering.  Thanks!

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 07:39:28 AM »

This sounds like a flute.

Small | Large

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 10:13:36 AM »

Tull was my first thought. Some nice flute solos in Locomotive Breath and Thick as a Brick. Mind you, I don't know how good they'd sound without backup.
Small | Large

Small | Large

Another possibility. I imagine something written for a horn could be played on a flute.
Small | Large

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 05:28:31 PM »

If it's flute, then she should give some choice selections of Irish traditional music a whirl. Depending on her level of expertise, she could either take on some slow airs, or faster jigs and reels if she's feeling ambitious. I won't provide tune titles because there are just too many to even start, but if she goes on Youtube and types in "Irish flute" she is sure to find lots of examples.

This would depend entirely on whether or not she is into Irish music at all, of course. I only bring it up because the flute is one of the more legit and appropo Irish instruments, right up there with fiddle and uillean pipes.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 05:40:51 PM »

I do believe that is flute, Jack.  Thumbup

Glad to have more Tull titles to look for Andy; that really helps.

I will confess I was hoping someone would suggest songs that sound like flute (whether they actually are or not), or would be easily adaptable to flute.  Thanks!

Flick James:  Thumbup  That is a whole trove of music that I hope she will eventually come to explore.  There are traditional tunes I enjoy that I'd like to share with her.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Some music help, please? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.