Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:26:41 AM
714234 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Immortals (2011) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Immortals (2011)  (Read 3835 times)
WingedSerpent
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« on: November 11, 2011, 10:18:38 PM »

Let me start off by saying that while I enjoyed this movie, I could also see how a lot of people wouldn't.

Secondly, if your guessing that its essentially a rip-off of 300 I really couldn't argue with that either.  In fact it was pretty blatant in some parts. Main Hero walking through enemies in Zack Synder-esque slow-mo., ancient civilization shown as scarred strange armor wearing monsters more that human.  Two armies fighting in a narrow passage where its mentioned that the enemies vastly greater numbers would be meaningless.

And on top of that its CHEESY AS H-E-DOUBLE HOCKEY STICK! It's as cheesy as a block of cheese dipped in more cheese.

But....

It's a good kind of cheese that had me laughing in some parts and really liking the movie overall.

The movie has Theseues going up against King Hyperion played by Micky Rourke whose looking for a divine bow which he intends to use to release the titans in an effort to exterminate the greek gods.  Yeah, its pretty light on story.

Still visually this movie is great. It is heavy on the CGI, but I think sense this movie never really tries to portray itself as realistic and instead pretty much says this is a fantasy I didn't mind it so much.  It is art designed to the gills.  With bright colors contrasting against darker ones.  Again, a somewhat nod to 300  I'd post in in a thread we had hear a few months back about movies being "Artsplotiation" but I really don't feel looking searching for it right now.

The movie is fun too.  The final action scene with the Greek Gods going against the Titans in a martial arts brawl (almost like a bloody version of Power Rangers) was great.  There's some wonderfully awful dialogue. A little gratuitous nudity (but only in once scene)  And a health amount of CGI blood. (Again, something I know a lot of people don't like, but didn't bother me given the stylized fantasy nature of the film)

I'd recommend it for fans of somewhat goofy fantasy, very stylized, action films.  You can skip the 3D version though.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
akiratubo

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 11:04:13 PM »

BROWN.  That's what I took from this movie.  BROWN.

It was a purely bad movie.  Not cheezey bad, not "expensive trash" bad, just bad.  Bad pacing, bad acting, cheap looking costumes (a lot of the costumes looked like off-the-shelf Halloween stuff).  Plot?  Whatever the plot was, it involved a lot people leaping at each other.  A lot.  In slow motion.  Wearing their BROWN armor, clutching their BROWN weapons, against BROWN backgrounds.  I'm sure there was an actual plot but it got lost in all the BROWN.  Even the freaking water was BROWN.

Ok, ok, there were scenes with color.  A little bit.  Most of the movie was just BROWN.

This movie can kiss my ASS.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Archivist

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 12:46:57 AM »

Ok, ok, there were scenes with color.  A little bit.  Most of the movie was just BROWN.

If the movie is as brown as you say it is, perhaps it already did ...  TeddyR

Can I say that I'm rather looking forward to it?  I'm expecting a lavishly overdone 300 ripoff, so it's not like my hopes are particularly high.

You know, it strikes me as funny that a studio and hundreds of people can put all this work and money into a movie, only to have us on the outside going, 'damn that was a crappy movie'!

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Cthulhu

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 06:19:03 AM »

I didn't like 300, but the trailer for this one seemed fun.
I may check this out.
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 09:16:57 AM »

Frankly, that's what I took from the commercials.  TeddyR

http://my.spill.com/profiles/blogs/immortals-audio-review

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 01:09:54 PM »

Maybe for a dollar rental later on....I just can't get enthusiastic about it.

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 12:01:24 PM »

At work there are certain people that are practically a litmus test for movies I won't see. If they like it, I avoid it. If they love it, I avoid it like the plague.

They are raving about it. RUUUUNNNN!

Plus I'm not a fan of brown.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
JPickettIII
A BAD MOVIE IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE!
Bad Movie Lover

HELP! WE ARE STUCK IN A GOOD MOVIE!!!

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 12:13:37 PM »

I looks like a rip off of 300, but it also looks good.  I am going to wait for it to come out on DVD though.  Movie theaters are just too damn pricey.

Later,

John

\\\\\\\"Freedom is not free\"\\\\\\ or ///\"Where ever you go, there you are!\"///
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 12:17:23 PM »

They should have made a movie called THE IMMORALS and made it about the producers of THE IMMORTALS.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
JPickettIII
A BAD MOVIE IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE!
Bad Movie Lover

HELP! WE ARE STUCK IN A GOOD MOVIE!!!

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 05:05:42 PM »

They should have made a movie called THE IMMORALS and made it about the producers of THE IMMORTALS.

That is funny.  I like that.

\\\\\\\"Freedom is not free\"\\\\\\ or ///\"Where ever you go, there you are!\"///
Jim H

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 02:17:21 PM »

It was a purely bad movie.  Not cheezey bad, not "expensive trash" bad, just bad.  Bad pacing, bad acting, cheap looking costumes (a lot of the costumes looked like off-the-shelf Halloween stuff).  Plot?  Whatever the plot was, it involved a lot people leaping at each other.  A lot.  In slow motion.  Wearing their BROWN armor, clutching their BROWN weapons, against BROWN backgrounds.  I'm sure there was an actual plot but it got lost in all the BROWN.  Even the freaking water was BROWN.

Interesting, I pretty much totally agree.  That's a rarity with you akira.   TeddyR

Bad plotting, some sloppy editing, very muddled storytelling, muddled dialogue, bad performances, atrocious design (just LOOK at Poseidon in the image below), stupid logic (like, for example, why didn't Hyperion just shoot his magic bow a few times down the hallway where all the Greeks were?), wasted sideplots (the traitor guy should have been written out, as it goes no where), terrible alterations to Greek mythology (the whole "free will" thing is just stupid, as is the stuff with the Titans, and the ending of the film) just bad bad bad.

I will attempt to highlight a few of the good things too, why not.  Some of the action is well-handled, though the best action scene in the entire film is a very brief one where Theseus tries to save his mother - I remember getting my hopes up for some action of that caliber, but I never got it again.  Some of the final battle stuff is alright, though it has significantly less of the clarity and very little of the originality that 300 brought (a film I like, but don't love for what it's worth).  There's some decent looking photography, and Mickey Rourke does a reasonable job as a poorly written, under-motivated villain. 

And just look at Poseidon.  Man the designs are almost universally bad.  It reminds me of the kind of concept stuff thrown around in the 60s, only it doesn't take it that far into ridiculous, so it is just awful, rather than memorably awful. 

3/10.  The worst film I've seen in theatres since Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li (that one is worse, but not by a whole lot). 
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Immortals (2011) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.