Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:18:03 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  What Outrages Us? PF Warning. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What Outrages Us? PF Warning.  (Read 6789 times)
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2011, 05:10:52 PM »

I was listening to the Adam Carolla podcast recently, and he was talking about something that I’ve often thought about. One of those unfortunate things about current society that seems to suggest that we are doomed.

It has to do with what our society gets outraged about. It seems our outrage is either horribly misdirected or just outright vacous.

For example, in 1988, a Libyan named Abdelbaset al-Megrahi was found guilty of the bombing of Pan Am Flight 103, bound for JFK Airport from Heathrow, that killed 259 passengers and crew, and 11 people on the ground in Lockerbie, Scotland. He was imprisoned and then released in 2009 because he was sick, apparently “at death’s door,” and given a “compassionate release” because he was supposed to be weeks from dying and would probably not live to see if his second appeal of wrongful conviction would be successful. First of all, boo-f**king-hoo. Then he should have died in prison. Were the 270 people who died let out of the ground? Who the f**k could justify such a decision?

Then he was returned to Libya to a hero’s welcome when he got off the plane, as if he were The Beatles arriving in America in 1964. Can you imagine the horror of the relatives of those people he killed seeing that? Where was the outrage? Where were the loud-mouthed celebrity activists then? Where was the outrage from the people? We heard a little bit about it and then it just got largely ignored in favor of the latest Hollywood break-ups.

It is now over two years later. Gadaffi is dead and this piece of s**t who was on death’s door is still alive. Not dead in prison where he should be. Alive with his family in Libya. Do we even hear about this? Is there any significant outrage?

Of course not. No, instead these are the kinds of things we get outraged about:

Mel Gibson yelling at his wife.

Alec Baldwin yelling at his daughter.

Whether or not Kim Kardashian married for ratings or not.

What Ashton Kutcher broadcasted on Twitter.

A joke Kathy Griffin made about Bristol Palin.

THOSE ARE OUR HEADLINES!

We have no problem demonizing and shutting down businesses with Occupy Wall Street riots, but we don’t really care about a man who killed 260 people in a deplorable act of hatred being released from prison and being treated to a hero’s welcome, do we?

Where have our priorities gone as a nation and as a society?

Sorry, I’m in a bit of a bad mood about it and just felt the need to vent.

What you're feeling is called "righteous indignation", and you have no need to apologize.
As a nation, we're a mess, with no moral center, except a vague concept that says that everyone has a "right" to whatever they want to have a right to. We tell our children that to stand for something is to be intolerant, that some nebulous "somebody" MIGHT get offended by our words, much less our actions.

Y'know one of the reasons I came to Texas? It's because this is one of the few places you can still shoot some joker for breaking in your house. I don't own any guns, but I like the common sense concept that if someone breaches my door, uninvited, particularly if he seeks to do me and mine harm, he's got one comin'. It makes me sick that, in some places (4-X, my home state of Ohio) criminals have successfully sued decent citizens who were defending themselves.

How can we teach the next generation right and wrong when we've got a system that says that the individual gets to decide what that means?

We need less law, and more justice, less tolerance, and more common sense.

Well said. Well said indeed.

I hope Rev doesn't take offense by this, because I do have a genuine respect for the law community. However, it can't be denied that a portion of the problem stems from many decades of certain types of lawyers exploiting and manipulating the law to create precedents that eat away at the fabric of justice. I would never deny anybody their due process, but it does get ridiculous.

As for the criminals that successfully sue their victims, I hope you don't come to my house. I won't give you the opportunity to sue me if you catch my drift.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2011, 05:16:04 PM »

BounceGiggle And they have to SING their speeches! While dancing! And they gotta have stupid haircuts and tight,flashy clothes!

" I'll bomb Iran, because I can-I'll do it-Myyyyy Waaay!"

American Politicians Have Talent

OH!  I'd watch that show!  It be the only piece of reality TV I ever watch...

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2011, 06:15:55 PM »

I hope Rev doesn't take offense by this, because I do have a genuine respect for the law community. However, it can't be denied that a portion of the problem stems from many decades of certain types of lawyers exploiting and manipulating the law to create precedents that eat away at the fabric of justice. I would never deny anybody their due process, but it does get ridiculous.

Not sure exactly what decisions you're thinking of, but judges set precedents, not lawyers.  A lawyer may be forced to offer a dubious theory if his client has nothing else to go with, but it's the judge's duty to shoot it down if it's worthless.   

BTW though I'm a licensed attorney I don't practice trial law, so I'm not offended by attacks on trial lawyers.  I have plenty of criticisms of them myself and I'm a proponent of tort reform.  The only thing I've ever done is wills and contracts.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2011, 06:33:40 PM »

Not sure exactly what decisions you're thinking of, but judges set precedents, not lawyers.  A lawyer may be forced to offer a dubious theory if his client has nothing else to go with, but it's the judge's duty to shoot it down if it's worthless.   

BTW though I'm a licensed attorney I don't practice trial law, so I'm not offended by attacks on trial lawyers.  I have plenty of criticisms of them myself and I'm a proponent of tort reform.  The only thing I've ever done is wills and contracts.

Poor choice of words on my part. What I was trying to say is that lawyers of the ilk I'm referring to seek to manipulate the law in ways as to have precedent established that allows for things like perpetrators of breaking and entering to successfully sue their victims, and other scenarios that undermine the justice that is the intent of the legal system.

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2011, 06:41:51 PM »

Oh, and in regards to tort reform, I am in agreement with you. No system is perfect, but in my opinion the benefits of tort law certainly outweigh it's shortfallings, all things considered. About the only argument that tort reform advocates use that carries any weight in my opinion is when referring to healthcare costs and insurance rates. That is a mess, and an area in which tort law does appear to be inefficient and drive up insurance costs. I can see that as a problem. I don't know what the solution is, but I don't believe tort reform is it.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2011, 10:44:39 PM »

MEL GIBSON yelled at his girlfriend...

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2011, 10:58:37 PM »

Celebrities getting all of the attention. I call them Attention Whores, pretty explanatory. TALK ABOUT OTHER s**t, LIKE THE REALITY WE LIVE IN!!!! Hatred

yeah no.
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2011, 11:30:52 PM »

Celebrities getting all of the attention. I call them Attention Whores, pretty explanatory. TALK ABOUT OTHER s**t, LIKE THE REALITY WE LIVE IN!!!! Hatred

But that doesn't sell as well! It doesn't present a false reality where people can be spoiled twits with no consequences, nor does it sell the idea that "success" is measure by how much expensive stuff you can cram in your oversized suburban home/high-price apartment!
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2011, 12:09:44 AM »

But that doesn't sell as well! It doesn't present a false reality where people can be spoiled twits with no consequences, nor does it sell the idea that "success" is measure by how much expensive stuff you can cram in your oversized suburban home/high-price apartment!

BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle Just what I need before a bed! Thumbup BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

yeah no.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2011, 09:41:30 PM »

Blame Technology, and mostly on Reality TV, that really makes the majority of teens more selfish and lazy. Thankfully, I don't watch these, as they are: Jersey Shore,.....That's all I got. Video games are also to blame, but I matured away from this. Smile Quite Frankly, crap has ruined our society.

yeah no.
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2011, 09:17:14 PM »

Blame Technology, and mostly on Reality TV, that really makes the majority of teens more selfish and lazy. Thankfully, I don't watch these, as they are: Jersey Shore,.....That's all I got. Video games are also to blame, but I matured away from this. Smile Quite Frankly, crap has ruined our society.

I think that's too narrow a view to account for everything that's going on. Video games have been around since the 70's (possible a little earlier), and reality TV has been around since about the 80's (even longer if you count game shows). I think there's a lot more going on than what we're being sold that's changing our cultures.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2011, 10:19:35 PM »

I think that's too narrow a view to account for everything that's going on. Video games have been around since the 70's (possible a little earlier), and reality TV has been around since about the 80's (even longer if you count game shows). I think there's a lot more going on than what we're being sold that's changing our cultures.

Who says culture's changing?  Question  I've noticed that most people are shallow my entire life.  I can only assume they were the same in my parent's day, and in Abraham Lincoln's day, and in Mozart's, and in Jesus'...

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2011, 01:33:35 AM »

I Think,as a whole,people are good.
Mobs**t sets in sometimes-but...I dunno...I try to like folks.
Thats coming from an evil guy like me.
You gotta believe in something.
I believe you gotta try.
Im so depressed sometimes...but only at circumstances...not so much at other people.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2011, 12:41:44 PM »

Who says culture's changing?  Question  I've noticed that most people are shallow my entire life.  I can only assume they were the same in my parent's day, and in Abraham Lincoln's day, and in Mozart's, and in Jesus'...
no, what I mean is that the grass isn't getting cut, the exquisite china isn't getting washed, the bedroom is becoming more dirty, and the kids are getting obese. These things are mostly the response to modern technology.

yeah no.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  What Outrages Us? PF Warning. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.