Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:59:07 PM
714349 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Unhappy Endings « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Unhappy Endings  (Read 5747 times)
AndyC
« on: April 23, 2002, 04:08:55 PM »

The discussion of alternate endings for Army of Darkness made me think of this topic. Relatively few movies stray from the norm of having the good guys come out on top in the end, or at least ending on a hopeful note. I wouldn't want too many movies to have unhappy endings, but they can make messages stronger and plots less predictable.

The question is, when did you first realize that the good guys don't always win?

In my case, it was many years ago, watching Colossus: The Forbin Project with my family. I don't remember exactly how old I was. Anyway, after all the efforts to deactivate Colossus failed, the big computer told humanity that it was in charge, and they would do what it told them or else. Roll credits.

How about you guys?
Heather
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2002, 04:11:56 PM »

I can't remember the very first one but Lars Von Trier's "Breaking the Waves" and  the second Planet of the Apes movie comes immediately to mind.

-Heather
Chadzilla
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2002, 05:05:53 PM »

It was either after seeing John Carpenter's Halloween or Kaufman's remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers (which completely creeped me out as an 11 or 12 year old)
Gerry
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2002, 05:23:47 PM »

NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD.
Drezzy
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2002, 05:42:48 PM »

Creepshow 2 immediately comes to mind, because I was only 9 or so when I saw it for the first time. Each story had the "hero" failing and dying.
J.R.
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2002, 07:17:41 PM »

In all seriousness,  Mrs. Doubtfire. I'd seen lots of films with unhappy or ambiguous endings but when Robin Williams and Sally Field didn't get back together I was really confused. I was 13. Kind of pathetic.
chris
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2002, 07:55:29 PM »

Kaufman's Invasion of the Body Snatchers at the Drive-In.  Still one of the scariest endings of all time.  I wouldn't sleep voluntarily for weeks.
Vermin Boy
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2002, 08:16:32 PM »

It was either Invasion of the Body Snatchers (the original for me) or the Simpsons in general ("Marge, I'm confused-- Is this a happy ending or a sad ending?")
Lee
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2002, 09:09:31 PM »

The Black Hole.  That movie still freaks me out!
Offthewall
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2002, 10:26:22 PM »

I can't believe no one said "Planet of the Apes" or "Beneth the Planet Apes" both with a negitive ending, kinda like Sci-fi.

Also on their the movie Campfire tales and to a certain extent Alien 3 I guess because Riply "died". Forrest Gump had a pretty unhappy ending everyone he loved and or loved him died in the end and the whole movie people make fun of him and he doesn't even realize it (I personally know what that's like)

I'll think of more
Heather
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2002, 12:32:23 AM »

Uhm, I mentioned the second Planet of the Apes (the titles get a little fuzzy after the first one ;)
Flangepart
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2002, 10:31:38 AM »

Forbin project, for sure, and the end of...ah...the Peter Cushing one with the bone sucking mutant turtle thingys on the island. The stinger at the end made me ask mom for a nightlite!
raj
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2002, 03:38:21 PM »

Forbin is right up there, but I remember seeing Willard along with Krakatoa, East of Java-- as a drive-in double feature when they came out.  Not really a happy ending to either of those movies.
Vincent Price
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2002, 04:33:20 PM »

John Carpenter's The Thing

and maybe even this show called Are You Afraid of the Dark. It's kinda like a creepy version of Goosebumps. Some of those episodes scared the crap out of me.
Akira Tubo
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2002, 04:51:18 PM »

Darn, Vincent Price beat me to it -- from beyond the grave!

John Carpenter's The Thing.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Unhappy Endings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.