Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:52:03 AM
713331 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  HELLDRIVER (2010) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: HELLDRIVER (2010)  (Read 4436 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: November 29, 2011, 09:08:21 PM »

OK, as should be obvious by my ongoing presence here, I love bad, bizarre movies. Always have.  And I have seen some weird, I mean REALLY weird films over the years.  I've seen ZARDOZ in all its 70's era drug induced existential weirdness, I've laughed my butt off at THE COWBOY KILLER and DAHMER VS. GACY.  I've tried to wrap my head around A CLOCKWORK ORANGE and was utterly entranced by SUCKER PUNCH. And I have watched my share of Japanese films as well - MACHINE GIRL, ZOMBIE SELF DEFENSE FORCE, etc. But this past weekend I saw what may well be the most bizarre film ever made.  I mean, this thing was FREAKY!  The Japanese have definitely set a new bar for cinematic bizzarity.

I'm referring to the recent J-Sploitation  epic, HELLDRIVER.
How can I explain this?  OK, without too many spoilers - the northern half of Japan was taken over by zombies.  The first infected person, who became the zombie queen, was the mother of a girl named Kika.  She was an evil, nasty serial killer who had just murdered her ex-husband and ripped Kika's heart out (literally) when a meteorite punched a hole in her chest.  She inserted Kika's heart there, and paramedics rushed Kika away. Somehow she did not die, but was sent to a government lab.
  Meanwhile a cloud of ash covers norther Japan and turns everyone there into zombies with strange horns growing out of their foreheads.  Kika is restored to life and given an artificial heart which also powers a katana-shaped chainsaw which she uses to fight zombies.  Zombies eat the prime minister.  Criminals harvest zombie horn and sell it as a drug on the streets.  Users who overdose explode.
  Kika sets out to rescue a girl from the zombies.  She fights a pregnant zombie who wields her fetus at the end of a 30 foot umbilical cord, like some kind of a medieval flail.  She fights an 8 legged zombie.  There is also a chase scene involving a car made of zombie parts, a rocket made of zombies, zombies biting a schoolgirl's nipples off, more blood geysers, decapitations, and dismemberment than you can shake a stick at, aerial bombardment with exploding zombie heads, telescoping spinal chords, did I mention a WORKING ROCKET MADE OF ZOMBIES??????

I lost count of how many times I said "What the . . . . ?" during this film.  It's like someone tried to remake SAVING PRIVATE RYAN, THE SOUND OF MUSIC, and MONTY PYTHON AND THE HOLY GRAIL with no music and an all zombie cast.

I have seen ultimate weirdness, and HELLDRIVER is its name. Buggedout Buggedout Buggedout Buggedout Buggedout Buggedout Buggedout Buggedout Buggedout Buggedout Buggedout Buggedout Buggedout BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 10:43:04 PM »

I have seen ultimate weirdness, and HELLDRIVER is its name. Buggedout Buggedout Buggedout Buggedout Buggedout Buggedout Buggedout Buggedout Buggedout Buggedout Buggedout Buggedout Buggedout BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

I'll have to move it up on my list.  Indy, have you seen MEATBALL MACHINE, TOKYO GORE POLICE and/or SAMURAI PRINCESS?  HELLDRIVER's by the same folks and I'd like to know how it compares.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 11:55:54 PM »

I've seen those on the shelf, but haven't taken the plunge.  I did see VAMPIRE GIRL VERSUS FRANKENSTEIN GIRL (or something like that)

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 09:21:12 AM »

No boob weapons?  That's disappointing.  I guess the zombie rocket kind of makes up for it though.

I watched some of Vampire Girl vs. Frankenstein Girl or whatever it's called.  I dunno, I wasn't in quite weird enough of a mood for it that night.  I'll have to check out this Helldriver thing sometime.   Smile

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
thetoxicone
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 11:57:03 AM »

only watched about half of it so far as it was late and I was tired.  One thing that stuck in my mind about the movie is that we didn't hit a title screen until roughly 45 minutes into the movie.
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 08:36:54 PM »

I'm trolling my own old threads to see what I want to view again.  This one is near the top of the list.  So much weirdness!!

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 11:45:19 PM »

Here's my old review of this one.

etmoviesb
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 12:34:46 AM »

All this names, I trip in the memory lane...  Vampire Girl vs. Frankenstein Girl [2009] is another nice movie, yes!

I never seen this "Samurai Princess [2009]," I guess I need to fix that.
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 11:57:09 PM »

Last week I was at Hastings and decided to rent this epic, but it was no longer on the rental shelf.  I asked the clerk to look it up, and it was on the "BUY" shelf - for $1.99!!  So, HELLDRIVER came home with me and tonight I watched it again.

Not much to add to the above, except this:  When the movie's director appears in a cameo before the film begins and advises you to watch the movie while drinking, you KNOW you're in for a fun time!!!

Also, there are no less than FOUR short films set in the HELLDRIVER universe on the DVD version. 

HELLDRIVER is the gift that keeps on giving!

Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2016, 03:18:03 PM »

The entire movie is on Youtube.  Looks crazy!

Small | Large
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  HELLDRIVER (2010) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.