Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:00:12 PM
713353 Posts in 53057 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  What would you guys say if I told you..... « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What would you guys say if I told you.....  (Read 6356 times)
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« on: December 01, 2011, 08:02:56 AM »

.... that I felt I'd achieved everything I wanted to in my present job and wanted to up sticks and move on to somewhere else?  23 years is a long time: I started here on December 1, 1989 and have achieved a lot in that time period ~ I have also achieved both a reputation and some notoriety in that time as well  Wink

But..... I feel tired. I feel used, I feel used up, I feel burned out, I feel old.  Bluesad

I may feel those ways, but I'm actually none of these four things, but I do need to see if there is still something out there for me to attain. After all, I've spent the last four decades proving my detractors wrong every single day, so the fire still burns in me, somewhere.

You are all my family: I would appreciate any advice, thoughts, anything at all.  Smile

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 08:33:54 AM »

.... that I felt I'd achieved everything I wanted to in my present job

If this is truly the case, then I'd say moving on is well worth considering.

and wanted to up sticks and move on to somewhere else?  23 years is a long time: I started here on December 1, 1989 and have achieved a lot in that time period ~ I have also achieved both a reputation and some notoriety in that time as well  Wink

This puts you in an ideal position to find employment elsewhere.

But..... I feel tired. I feel used, I feel used up, I feel burned out, I feel old.  Bluesad

Feeling those things is no good.  I know.  Wouldn't hurt to examine where those feelings are coming from, though.

I may feel those ways, but I'm actually none of these four things, but I do need to see if there is still something out there for me to attain. After all, I've spent the last four decades proving my detractors wrong every single day, so the fire still burns in me, somewhere.

Good!  Also a factor that indicates you are in an ideal state to make a move to something more challenging and satisfying.

Trevor, my take on it is that once all practical considerations are taken into account the determing factors are personal.  What will make you happy?  For myself, looking back, I can say the opportunities missed and things not done/achieved are the hardest to live with later on when the time is past.  None of us would ever want to see you take risks that compromise your security, but sometimes you just have to go for it in order to know what you can do.  Whatever you decide, you have to be happy with how things pan out.

(I hope it does not sound like I just said a whole mouthful of nothing.  It's one of those subjects!   Lookingup )

Good luck my friend.  Half the thrill of living is making the leaps!   Wink

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 09:00:36 AM »

Trevor, my take on it is that once all practical considerations are taken into account the determing factors are personal.  What will make you happy?  For myself, looking back, I can say the opportunities missed and things not done/achieved are the hardest to live with later on when the time is past.  None of us would ever want to see you take risks that compromise your security, but sometimes you just have to go for it in order to know what you can do.  Whatever you decide, you have to be happy with how things pan out.

(I hope it does not sound like I just said a whole mouthful of nothing.  It's one of those subjects!   Lookingup )

Good luck my friend.  Half the thrill of living is making the leaps!   Wink

Thanks, Newt *HUG*  Smile

These feelings started to surface in July this year when I was screening films at the VryFees in Bloemfontein and had a day free to walk around www.mimosamall.co.za which is connected to the hotel I stayed at and the one that I got so sick at in 2008.   Buggedout  This mall was where I experienced two of my personal triumphs in 2007 and 2008 with the honouring of SA film pioneers and where the name of the archives was brought way into the limelight ~ the ceremonies were held in its' huge atrium at night, under a huge glass dome. Quite something. Smile

Walking around the mall in 2011 and looking at the place where we held the ceremonies, I was jolted by the fact that time had passed since the last ceremony at which Dad was with me in spirit in 2008 and that it was time to move on and find something else to do. That hit me hard.

We're closing for the Christmas season soon so I will make my decision during that break: I have applied for other jobs, so I will see what happens. One thing is for sure, I will never retire from this site.  Smile

Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 09:09:06 AM »

We know you'll never leave us!

It's an emotional time of year, Trevor.  Wishing you clear thinking and all future happiness.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 09:14:38 AM »

We know you'll never leave us!

*Trevor slyly attempts to disconnect internet cable from PC: bangs head on desk*  Buggedout Wink

That will teach me.  Wink

It's an emotional time of year, Trevor.  Wishing you clear thinking and all future happiness.

*HUG*

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 09:41:08 AM »

Well, if you think you can do better, go for it. As long as you have some idea what you'd rather be doing and how to get there, it sounds like a good idea.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 10:19:41 AM »

What ever you do, make sure it makes you happy and remember that money alone isn't what makes a job satisfying. 

Especially remember that what ever you do you'll always have lots of support here. 

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 10:41:06 AM »

.... that I felt I'd achieved everything I wanted to in my present job and wanted to up sticks and move on to somewhere else?  23 years is a long time: I started here on December 1, 1989 and have achieved a lot in that time period ~ I have also achieved both a reputation and some notoriety in that time as well  Wink

You are all my family: I would appreciate any advice, thoughts, anything at all.  Smile

Go with what your heart tells you.  But I do think you have a really cool job!  I can't imagine 23 years in the same job.  My dad worked for the same company for something like 35 years.  I am quite different.  I have switched jobs 8 times over the past 20 years (although, I have been with the same company for 8 1/2 years, except for a short stint when I left for a few months, then came back).  I suspect I'll stay here for awhile.  Anyway, good luck and I'm sure you will be successful no matter what you pursue in life.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Raffine

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 10:56:13 AM »

Good luck, Trevor! I know you will make the decision best for you.

I left a comfortable job a couple of years ago I had for 17 years for many of the same reasons. It was very scary at first, but in retrospect I know it was definitely the right decision for me.

Any hints for us as to the new job?

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 11:31:01 AM »

Well, if there's going to be big change in your life, it's best to make the change happen than let it happen TO you. Changes that happen to people tend to be bad. Changes that one initiates for oneself usually results in some kind of growth. Not necessarily financial, but personal for sure.

p.s. sooner or later Indy is going to post and tell you to take up arrowhead hunting. I just know it.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 11:39:04 AM »

I can envision Trevor living on a yacht, surrounded by friends, calling himself "The Most Interesting Man in the World."  Sorry, Flick James . . .

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Raffine

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 11:39:45 AM »

Well, if there's going to be big change in your life, it's best to make the change happen than let it happen TO you.

An excellent point, Flick.

When I left my old job things were dandy, but less than six months later the agency lost most of its funding. The staff was slashed from 70 to less than 20, everybody went to 'part time' status (which also meant losing most of their benefits, including health care), and salaries drastically cut. I had no idea this was coming and was greatly saddened by it, but I admit breathing a big mental sign of relied that I had left when I did.

It's a fact it is much easier to find new employment while still employed with a successful company than while unemployed or seemingly deserting a sinking ship.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 12:07:09 PM »

I can envision Trevor living on a yacht, surrounded by friends, calling himself "The Most Interesting Man in the World."  Sorry, Flick James . . .

As much as that hurts, Burgo, I can envision it too.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 05:48:14 PM »

Damn, you all beat me to the good advice. Swines!  TeddyR

Trevor, I'd move on to something new if you've become jaded with your current job and want a fresh challenge. The good thing is, that you are already employed and have barrel loads of experience so you can be choosy until the right position becomes available and you can weigh up all the options.

Love & luck buddy.  Thumbup

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 05:58:22 PM »

When I was getting ready to leave a comfortable part time position I had held for 14 years, my boss at work gave me a great piece of advice:

When you spend more time looking back at what you have accomplished than looking forward to what you can accomplish, it's time to move on.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  What would you guys say if I told you..... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.