Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 07:27:37 PM
714191 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7733 Members
Latest Member: Mamie94489
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Problems with a particular blu-ray disc « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Problems with a particular blu-ray disc  (Read 2128 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: December 01, 2011, 10:56:48 AM »

So, I bought the John Travolta B-action flick FROM PARIS WITH LOVE on blu-ray.  Best Buy had it on sale for $6.99.  When the disc got to the end of the previews, it froze my entire system.  I couldn't fast forward, reverse, go to the pop-up menu, go to the top menu, nothing.  So I tried to eject the disc.  Still nothing.  So I tried to turn the power off.  But it stayed on.  I had to unplug my blu-ray player and plug it back in before I could eject the disc.  So, I tried it again.  This time instead of watching the previews I tried to go straight to the menu.  Nothing.  So I advanced the chapters to the end of the previews.  Nothing.  And it froze my system again.  Had to unplug the player and plug it in again to eject the disc.  Brought the movie back to Best Buy and exchanged it for another copy.  EXACT SAME problem.  My blu-ray player is only a few months old (Sony 3-D player) and I have never had a problem with any other blu-ray, DVD or DVD-R.  In fact, immediately after FROM PARIS WITH LOVE froze my system, I watched THE EXPENDABLES and it worked fine.  Have you ever had a problem like this where two copies of the same movie had the exact same glitch at the exact same spot on the disc?  I suspect this is either a defect in an entire run of discs or some sort of compatibility issue between this movie and my blu-ray player.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Raffine

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 11:15:43 AM »

Simple. Your Blu-Ray player HATES John Travolta.

Not Blu-Ray - but my old DVD player had a similar problem with Kino's THE BLUE ANGEL disc. I took it back and exchanged it at Media Play (R.I.P.) but the new disc froze the player at exactly the same spot. I din't bother replacing that one, I just chucked it in the shelf and forgot about it.

When I replaced the player a year or so later the disc played just fine. Go figure.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
claws
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 12:04:42 PM »

Whenever there is a "freeze" problem people at the blu-ray.com forum recommend disconnecting the internet from the blu-ray player. Apparently that causes discs to freeze.
If that doesn't help try checking updates for your player.

My first (Panasonic) blu-ray player started acting up after one year. It refused to play The Wolfman during the asylum scene. The picture would stutter and jump and freeze. Since The Wolfman is a region free disc I tried it on my region B player and it played fine.
A few months later it refused to play Taken (2008). Like, it wouldn't play it at all. Then it refused to play Piranha (2010) in a proper manner. After that I bought a blu-ray lense cleaner and that seemed to solve some problems temporarily. But a few months after that my player refused to play titles it played before so I said f**k it and bought a new one.
The new one (LG) plays everything smooth, fast and fine. So far  Wink
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 12:09:00 PM »

Simple. Your Blu-Ray player HATES John Travolta.

My Blu-Ray player has the same problem with Sandra Bullock movies. It just won't play them. Wait, that's me, not the player.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 01:06:43 PM »

Claws might be right about the internet thing.  It might be trying to access some site to look up some really important information that you just can't live without, but maybe the site doesn't exist or perhaps three people are already accessing it and it's exceeded its capacity or something.  I had a video game like that once.  It would try to access the internet to check for updates (or some damned thing) but the site was so busy it just hung up like that forever.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 02:50:22 PM »

A few years ago someone gave me "The X-Files: I Want To Believe" on DVD for Xmas. It sat on the shelf for a while cuz I didn't have time to watch it, then when I finally did make time for it months later, the damn thing would'nt play at all. I could hear the disc spinning in the machine (in fact, it made this godawful WHIRRING sound) but it never started to play. I tried it in several different DVD players and got the same result in all of them, so I guess it was just a bum disc. Of course, since I'd received it as a gift there was no chance of taking it back to the store for a replacement, so I ended up simply chucking it and re-buying the movie.

...and yet to this day even after going to all that trouble, I still haven't watched it... TeddyR

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
The Burgomaster

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 03:59:55 PM »

I'll try the Internet thing.  The blu-ray player in my family room cannot receive strong wireless signals from my modem, which is a couple rooms away.  So, I can't watch Netflix streaming movies through my blu-ray player.  Strangely enough, I CAN get a strong signal and watch Netflix through my TV, which is right above the blu-ray player.  So maybe the blu-ray player is trying to get a signal, failing miserably, and causing the disc to freeze.  You guys are the best!  Or at least the second best.  Well, at any rate, you're okay.  Actually, you all suck.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
The Burgomaster

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 04:05:31 PM »

Actually, I have another blu-ray player in my bedroom.  I never thought to try playing the movie on that one.  I often amaze myself with my rampant stupidity.

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 01:52:13 AM »

In fact, immediately after FROM PARIS WITH LOVE froze my system, I watched THE EXPENDABLES and it worked fine. 

I know what happened: THE EXPENDABLES held a gun to FROM PARIS WITH LOVE's head and said "Last chance to get out of Burgo's system!"  Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
The Burgomaster

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 10:43:23 AM »

PROBLEM SOLVED.

Apparently, your blu-ray player MUST connect to the Internet in order for FROM PARIS WITH LOVE to play properly.  I tried playing it again with my Internet connection function disabled and it would not play.  Then, I tried playing it on the blu-ray player in my bedroom, which picks up a strong wireless signal and it played perfectly.  (The blu-ray player in my family room cannot pick up a strong enough signal from my wireless router because apparently the router is too far away).

Strangely enough, when I played the disc in my bedroom, a notice popped up on the screen (briefly) saying some features of the disc could not work without an Internet connection.  This does NOT pop up on the screen when I try to play the disc in my family room!

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Problems with a particular blu-ray disc « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.