Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:34:49 AM
713335 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  A Victim Treats His Mugger Right « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A Victim Treats His Mugger Right  (Read 3046 times)
claws
« on: December 02, 2011, 10:39:15 AM »

Julio Diaz

ulio Diaz has a daily routine. Every night, the 31-year-old social worker ends his hour-long subway commute to the Bronx one stop early, just so he can eat at his favorite diner.

But one night last month, as Diaz stepped off the No. 6 train and onto a nearly empty platform, his evening took an unexpected turn.

He was walking toward the stairs when a teenage boy approached and pulled out a knife.

"He wants my money, so I just gave him my wallet and told him, 'Here you go,'" Diaz says.

As the teen began to walk away, Diaz told him, "Hey, wait a minute. You forgot something. If you're going to be robbing people for the rest of the night, you might as well take my coat to keep you warm."

The would-be robber looked at his would-be victim, "like what's going on here?" Diaz says. "He asked me, 'Why are you doing this?'"

Diaz replied: "If you're willing to risk your freedom for a few dollars, then I guess you must really need the money. I mean, all I wanted to do was get dinner and if you really want to join me ... hey, you're more than welcome.

"You know, I just felt maybe he really needs help," Diaz says.

Diaz says he and the teen went into the diner and sat in a booth.

"The manager comes by, the dishwashers come by, the waiters come by to say hi," Diaz says. "The kid was like, 'You know everybody here. Do you own this place?'"

"No, I just eat here a lot," Diaz says he told the teen. "He says, 'But you're even nice to the dishwasher.'"

Diaz replied, "Well, haven't you been taught you should be nice to everybody?"

"Yea, but I didn't think people actually behaved that way," the teen said.

Diaz asked him what he wanted out of life. "He just had almost a sad face," Diaz says.

The teen couldn't answer Diaz — or he didn't want to.

When the bill arrived, Diaz told the teen, "Look, I guess you're going to have to pay for this bill 'cause you have my money and I can't pay for this. So if you give me my wallet back, I'll gladly treat you."

The teen "didn't even think about it" and returned the wallet, Diaz says. "I gave him $20 ... I figure maybe it'll help him. I don't know."

Diaz says he asked for something in return — the teen's knife — "and he gave it to me."

Afterward, when Diaz told his mother what happened, she said, "You're the type of kid that if someone asked you for the time, you gave them your watch."

"I figure, you know, if you treat people right, you can only hope that they treat you right. It's as simple as it gets in this complicated world."

Source: npr.org

Three years old but hey, we get enough horrible, disturbing and shocking news.  Wink
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 11:16:32 AM »

Nice story.  Thumbup

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 03:32:17 PM »

Wow....what a decent guy. Wink

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 10:56:05 PM »

Random act of kindness indeed!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 12:24:06 AM »

... and the kid walked away laughing about his free coat and free meal, spent the $20 on meth, and shoplifted a new knife from the hardware store to rob someone else the next night.

The only thing Diaz taught the kid is that a sucker is still born every minute.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 09:25:28 AM »

That's one possible outcome.
Or he may have changed the young man's life in a positive direction forever.

But at least he tried to do something noble and positive.

Don't be such a grinch!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 10:36:01 AM »

... and the kid walked away laughing about his free coat and free meal, spent the $20 on meth, and shoplifted a new knife from the hardware store to rob someone else the next night.

The only thing Diaz taught the kid is that a sucker is still born every minute.

Diaz got his wallet back, and the kid's knife, and lost only $20 and a coat.  He could have lost everything he had on him---even his life if he'd resisted.  From a purely selfish perspective his actions produced nearly the optimum result he could have hoped for from being mugged.  It takes some kind of bravery to talk to an armed man who's walking away from you with your wallet.

If Diaz hadn't done what he'd done, the kid would have spent all the contents of his wallet on meth.  Add to that the possibility the kid's life was really changed.  It was a win-win situation from Diaz' personal standpoint and from society's standpoint.   

Diaz is my hero, straight up.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  A Victim Treats His Mugger Right « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.