Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:01:01 PM
714380 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  THE BRAIN LEECHES (1978) - Maybe the worst movie ever? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: THE BRAIN LEECHES (1978) - Maybe the worst movie ever?  (Read 3550 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: December 09, 2011, 09:17:23 AM »

I finally got my hands on a DVD-R copy of Fred Olen Ray's sci-fi comedy THE BRAIN LEECHES, which supposedly was never released and was made for $298.  I need to let this movie sink in for a day or two, but it may have risen to the top of my worst movies ever made list.

To set the stage, I'll give you a few pieces of information about this movie:

* It is in black & white
* It has a running time of about an hour
* Most of it was filmed outside or in rooms containing little or no furniture (some scenes just feature two actors talking to each other in front of a plain white wall)
* Some scenes are silent, except for the voice of a narrator who tries to tell us what the hell is going on

The story involves a spaceship crashing in a rural town (we never see it . . . but a few people talk about it).  Alien leeches from the ship take over some of the town folk, turning them into zombie-like creatures who wear sunglasses.  When they take off their sunglasses, they reveal large, white eyes.  This effect seems to have been created by having the actors close their eyes and painting their eyelids white.

The alien leader is a sock puppet who speaks English in a whispery voice.  You can very clearly see the arm of the person who is operating the sock puppet.  I hope this was an intentional attempt at humor, but maybe it was just cheesy filmmaking.

In one scene, a car starts and we hear the sound of the ignition.  But when the car starts moving, there is no sound effect for the engine or the gravel being kicked up under the tires.  The car just speeds away silently down a dirt road.

In another scene, a car crashes into a warehouse and stock footage of a nuclear explosion is edited in.

This has bottom-of-the-barrel dialogue, acting, direction, editing, lighting, sound, make-up, set decoration, and special effects.  Definitely a candidate for the Crap Hall of Fame.

By the way, the copy I bought from Super Strange Video is a lot better quality than what you see in the clips below.

Small | Large

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Raffine

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 10:29:45 AM »

Wow! This sounds a bit like THE BRAIN EATERS (1958), which is pretty rotten in its own right.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 09:58:11 AM »

I agree.Iv'e sat through TV Mikels the CORPSE GRINDERS...this was even more difficult. Not because it's bad...I like Bad Movies. It's because it's tedious.
It hurts. It HURTS.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 10:04:44 AM »

Wow! This sounds a bit like THE BRAIN EATERS (1958), which is pretty rotten in its own right.

It's WORSE than Andy Milligan movies. That says a LOT.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 10:31:57 PM »

The problem with gems is that they tarnish. Now I see what $298 gets you in the film business. BounceGiggle

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
Archivist

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 02:04:47 AM »

Um, wow.  That does sound pretty bad.  I don't mind movies that  are this poor, but only if they are short (10-20min) student or experimental films.  I like how the exploding car is stock footage of a nuclear explosion - that reeks of coolness.  Or just reeks.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Flangepart

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 01:40:30 PM »

But it does make me think of a Colman Francis 'epic'.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 09:14:44 AM »

Maybe worst film ever?  I'll be the judge of that!  I've sat through Monster A-Go Go, After Last Season, The Legend of the Titanic, and Nutcracker: The Untold Story.  This movie will have no effect on me!  I'll look around for it and get back to you all later on my thoughts.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  THE BRAIN LEECHES (1978) - Maybe the worst movie ever? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.