Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:11:01 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Movie scenes that scared or disturbed you as a kid? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Movie scenes that scared or disturbed you as a kid?  (Read 14930 times)
Archivist
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: December 12, 2011, 02:33:22 AM »

The thread about the Final Destination poster got me thinking about the things that scared me as a kid, and I'm sure we've all got a few moments that scared or disturbed us in days gone by.  For me:

- Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982).  The scene where the brain slug was fed into the astronaut's ear, inside his helmet.  Ewwwww!  That made me absolutely cringe.

Small | Large

- The Black Hole (1979): two scenes were nasty, the first being where the giant robot Maximillian uses his rotor arm to shred through some guy's stomach.  In a Disney movie, no less!  The second part was at the end, where Maximillian somehow merges with his human creator in a hellish landscape, and you can see his creator's eyes looking around furtively through the robot's eye slot.  The implication that I drew at that time was that he was trapped inside the motionless robot for eternity, only able to peer out from inside.  I have not seen that movie for decades but that scene was burned into my brain.

Small | Large

- Moonraker (1979): that movie was full of scary stuff for a very young kid.  Jaws with his metal teeth, biting everything!  People!  Steel cables!  Everything!  The thought of some gigantic, unstoppable man biting things was highly disturbing to me.  Although I do remember Jaws' girlfriend with the glasses being very cute, even as a kid, so that helped ease things for me.  Not to mention the nerve gas killing people inside sealed chambers!  James Bond stuck in a g-force training centrifuge! 

Small | Large

I know I have more, but those are the ones that spring to mind right now.  Anyone else?

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 02:39:14 AM »

The eerie murder scene in Murder On The Orient Express.

The car crash scene with Leonard Nimoy in Baffled  ~ also the vision sequences. Buggedout

The corpse revival scene in Horror Express  Buggedout

I grew up during a civil war so I could pretty much see true horror for myself.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 06:38:44 AM »

Peewee's Big Adventure comes to mind. Thats part with Large Marge always freaked me out.

The librarian from The Ghostbusters always scared me to. I guess I was kinda skittish as a kid.

Smells like popcorn and shame
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 07:05:33 AM »

the first kill scene on the moor in American Werewolf In London. first time I think I saw a 'bloody death' on a screen. I was only about 6, my older cousin had the film on video and we watched it when his parents were out. gruesome to this day!

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
thetoxicone
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 07:30:15 AM »

oddly enough i was scared of otto the autopilot from airplane when i first saw it
crackers
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 09:17:08 AM »

Quite a few scenes from Society freaked me out a bit as a kid.

Flangepart

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 01:32:02 PM »

THE BLOB. Who knew you could only freeze it?

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 10:49:02 PM »

The opening to Good Burger with the talking and floating hamburgers.  Seriously.  That was some freaky crap.

The scene where the woman turns into plant food in Troll 2.  Still kind of creepy nowadays, but back then, it was downright horrifying.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Archivist

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 01:29:31 AM »

The librarian from The Ghostbusters always scared me to. I guess I was kinda skittish as a kid.

Is that the part with the seemingly harmless ghost that suddenly turns into some snarling monster?  If so, that part freaked out my brother so thoroughly he had to leave the cinema and go home.  I didn't think it was that bad, but at his age I had already been freaked out by The Black Hole, the Wrath of Khan, and Jaws with his steel teeth.

I used to be freaked out by vampire movies as a kid, but in my late teens I came to really enjoy them.  It was in the time of those other movies that the TV version of Salem's Lot came out, and the mere concept sent me running to my room.  Some years later I was watching every single vampire movie I could find.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
voltron

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 09:04:28 PM »

The transformation scenes in Demons (1985) - especially the "teeth" part - really freaked me out as a kid. When I watch it now, I just have to smile. I remember being scared of the last few minutes of The Beast Within (it was promised in the tagine). Smile

Small | Large

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 09:20:08 PM »

Good old Disney and their abuse of drugs.

Small | Large

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 11:06:46 PM »

easy- Pink Elephants from Dumbo
I was terrified when I saw this at 3.
Small | Large

yeah no.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 11:17:44 AM »

The scene at the end of Poltergeist, where the closet door turns into a giant throat.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 11:28:47 AM »

not quite on topic but the commericials for both Gremlins movies gave me nightmares

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
ChaosTheory

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 11:38:37 AM »

RETURN TO OZ - every scene, but mostly the wheelers

Small | Large

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Movie scenes that scared or disturbed you as a kid? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.