Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:38:10 AM
713327 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Blagojevich gets 14 years in prison for corruption « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Blagojevich gets 14 years in prison for corruption  (Read 3849 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« on: December 07, 2011, 10:02:54 PM »

Blagojevich gets 14 years in prison for corruption

http://news.yahoo.com/blagojevich-gets-14-years-prison-corruption-183334615.html

CHICAGO (AP) — The Rod Blagojevich who once challenged a prosecutor to face him like a man, the glad-handing politician who took to celebrity TV shows to profess his innocence, was nowhere to be found Wednesday as he was sentenced to 14 years in prison for corruption.

Frowning and pulling nervously at his tie, the disgraced former governor seemed like another person as he stepped up to address the sentencing judge. Bluster once as conspicuous as his famously lavish head of dark hair was wiped out, a victim of his June convictions on charges that included attempting to sell President Barack Obama's U.S. Senate seat.

In a low voice, the two-term Democrat apologized again and again, telling Judge James Zagel he had made "terrible mistakes."

"I caused it all. I'm not blaming anybody," Blagojevich said, trying with uncharacteristic humility to avert severe punishment. "I was the governor and I should have known better and I am just so incredibly sorry."

It was not enough for Zagel, who gave the 54-year-old a sentence close to the 15 to 20 years prosecutors had sought... 

...The boyish-looking defendant continued pursuing the spotlight after he was removed from office, writing a book, appearing in reality TV shows such as "Celebrity Apprentice" and even appearing in a TV ad in which he opens a briefcase overflowing not with money but with pistachios. "Rod Blagojevich does it innocently," was the line.

"His behavior and conduct once he was charged was almost a template for what you don't want a defendant to do," said Joel Levin, a former federal prosecutor. "... He did everything possible to alienate the prosecutors and the judge and, ultimately, it came back to hurt him."

It took two trials for prosecutors to snare Blagojevich. His first ended deadlocked with jurors agreeing on just one of 24 counts — that Blagojevich lied to the FBI. Jurors at his retrial convicted him on 17 of 20 counts, including bribery and attempted extortion...   

[AHD say: PoS]

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 11:50:43 PM »

Good riddance.  Man, Illinois has had some bad luck with its governors and lieutenant governors, hasn't it?  I heard somewhere that something like four of them have faced criminal charges in recent years.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 12:23:28 AM »

Blagojevich = bigbagoshich is even worse than his predecessor; he's a complete phony, and an arrogant sh!thead too. 

rebel_1812
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 01:19:42 AM »

What a flipflop.  When this started he steadfastly maintained his innocence.  Now he switches sides and admits "terrible mistakes".

The evidence against him was considered a 'slam dunk', yet it takes 2 trials and years to put him behind bars.  That should be frightening about the court system that white collar criminals usually go free and protesters get the book thrown at them.

tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 01:46:13 PM »

Yeah,they're all confidence and brag when they think there's no way anyone would have the guts to convict them....typical big money bully.

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 04:55:57 PM »

Yeah,they're all confidence and brag when they think there's no way anyone would have the guts to convict them....typical big money bully.
Blagojevich was certainly a bully.  He wanted big money but he wasn't from it and never had it. 

tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 01:32:35 PM »

Blagojevich was certainly a bully.  He wanted big money but he wasn't from it and never had it. 
Exactly....so he decided to play with the bad boys. Thumbdown

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 06:02:41 PM »

14 years??  That is pretty ridiculous sorry.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 10:16:44 PM »

14 years??  That is pretty ridiculous sorry.
You might have something there, but Illinois is fed up with corrupt governors and he's been made an example.  Ridiculous?  Sure.  Sorry?  Nah.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 05:25:20 PM »

and yet no one involved with Iraq or the housing maltdown is in jail.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Blagojevich gets 14 years in prison for corruption « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.