Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:25:27 AM
713349 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  so why is hard to make a good movie triology « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: so why is hard to make a good movie triology  (Read 9146 times)
bob
I survived Bucky Larson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« on: December 26, 2011, 11:13:39 AM »

with The Dark Knight Rises coming out next year I got to thinking why is it so difficult to make a triology of movies that are good

all of the followoing are considerd to be the only good trilogies by most:  original Star Wars triolgy, The Man With No Name triology, ...and LOTR

and it's also possible I may have forget a few but even if I did the lack of good movie trilogies is something of a mystery

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 12:10:02 PM »

I think it's because the original idea is good, but then when they need to write a sequel . . . and then another sequel . . . they run out of great ideas and end up copying the first movie.  (Hey, if it worked once, let's recycle it two more times!)

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
daveblackeye15

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 10:39:44 PM »

The 90s Gamera trilogy is excellent have to add that in, especially since the final film is the best.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 12:35:26 AM »

For modern slapstick, the AMERICAN PIE trilogy was hard to beat.  The last one, AN AMERICAN WEDDING, had me laughing so hard that popcorn came out my nose!

And, although I know I am in a minority here, I LOVED all three Spiderman movies!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 12:57:06 AM »

I forgot the Toy Story movies

For modern slapstick, the AMERICAN PIE trilogy was hard to beat.  The last one, AN AMERICAN WEDDING, had me laughing so hard that popcorn came out my nose!

well then....you have just talked me into checking out American Wedding, I loved the previous 2 and was just too busy with college to see it in theaters

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
A_Dubya
Bad Movie Lover

I'm no hero, never was. I'm just an old killer.

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 02:29:49 AM »

Indiana Jones and Back To The Future got it right, I believe, and I enjoyed all of the Beverly Hills Cop films too. Still, I agree there are a lot of bad trilogies in film. The Godfather 3 and Alien 3 seem to be the most glaring example of this, although I didn't TOTALLY hate the latter (nothing beats Siguorney Weaver in the tiny panties from part 1, though).

Seems like in most cases, the third time is NOT the charm for them, But some are weird, like with Spider-Man and Die Hard, where I really like parts 1 & 3, but detest part 2 with a passion.

This space free, since Photobucket is on dust.

PSN ID: A_Dubya13
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 10:39:57 PM »

Could be just out of random, as in Pirates of the Caribbean, the first one was a huge hit that a sequel just had to be made.

yeah no.
Vik
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 04:14:32 AM »

I don't think it's so hard to do, I think the sequels often suck because people are lazy. Once you have a succesful original you don't need to make the sequel good in order to make a lot of money off of it, people will see it either way.
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 11:29:36 AM »

Making a trilogy is always going to be difficult when it wasn't planned from the start. Jackson knew that he was making a trilogy out of LOTR. Lucas at least had some idea where he wanted to go with sequels to Star Wars, even if he hadn't fleshed them out because he didn't know if the first would be a success.

On the other hand, The Matrix was a stand-alone movie that wrapped up nicely. It wasn't written with a sequel in mind, so the writers had to struggle to find a way to spin the original ending into a sequel hook. The result was -- to me at least -- a boring repetition of things we'd already seen in the original, with a lot of extra philosophical bulls**t thrown in. The story became less about the people fighting the machines and more about the machines squabbling among themselves, turning them from a monolithic enemy into a bunch of feuding crime bosses. Rubbish.

Spiderman 1 and 2 fit together pretty well, but 3 was subjected to executive meddling that turned it into a train wreck. X-Men had a similar problem: the first two were good, but they lost Bryan Singer as director for the third, and his understanding of the characters and themes was what made the first two good movies.

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 12:50:59 PM »

An more general question might be "why is hard to make a good move?"  The track record on 'good' FIRST movies is not that great overall...

I'm not sure why so many movies are even turned into trilogies, or even just two part sequels.  Big box office does not mean good story, or a story that needs to be continued.

Well, I think part of it is...Part 1 is "art" for the people who make it...then, the bean counters want $$, so cash in on the 'brand.'  Art and creativity gets lost in the goal simply to churn out a 'product.'

LOTR is really an exception here...as that was trilogy from the start, and longer arc source material to boot.  TOY STORY is an excpetion, also, but then, Pixar is exceptional.  They have the writing to back up the claim "sequel."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 03:15:52 PM »

I bet that was sexy. 

And, although I know I am in a minority here, I LOVED all three Spiderman movies!
You're also in a minority here loving them LOTR movies.

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 04:50:25 PM »

I don't think I am in a minority in that last category - just that the LOTR haters on this board are very vocal!

Nora Lim, Asfaloth!!!!!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 07:51:27 PM »

Indiana Jones and Back To The Future got it right

I haven't seen Back To the Future 2 and 3 since I was a kid so I can't comment on them, but The Temple of Doom is largely ruined for me by Short Round who is just below Jar Jar Binks on my annoyance meter

and yes, I included LOTR in the original post to make indy happy

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 10:26:04 PM »

Indiana Jones and Back To The Future got it right

I haven't seen Back To the Future 2 and 3 since I was a kid so I can't comment on them, but The Temple of Doom is largely ruined for me by Short Round who is just below Jar Jar Binks on my annoyance meter

and yes, I included LOTR in the original post to make indy happy
I loved that first LOTR movie (what's it? Fellowship of the Ring?)  The second one had moments but was kind of silly and disappointing and long.  That third one?  Who?  What were...wars?  Snooze...

I don't know why they deleted this scene:  Question
Small | Large

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2011, 11:44:42 PM »

OK, that was pretty funny!   Yodelling Istari . . . . Tolkien never thought of that!

Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  so why is hard to make a good movie triology « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.