Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:26:28 AM
712924 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The Gig Has Come and Gone.... « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Gig Has Come and Gone....  (Read 1369 times)
diamondwaspvenom
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: January 29, 2012, 08:21:02 AM »

Last night was the night we played at Club Soda. How was it? In all honesty, I don't know what to make of it, but here are the details:

Firstly, we had to go up earlier than our starting time: 6 pm. This was because one of the earlier bands never showed up, so the club was trying to push everybody out as soon as possible. This meant that rather than play for 20 minutes like we were supposed to, we only wound up playing for 15 minutes.

Secondly, we were victims of technical difficulties. Our lead guitarist's cable wasn't working properly. Sometimes you could hear him, other times it was like he wasn't even plugged in at all. The microphones were another deal. For the record, I have my own SM58. The reason I did not bring it to the show was because I was told that the club provided their own microphones. They certainly did, but the mics looked aged. REALLY aged, as in it looked like they've been around for a few decades. They may have worked, but I would've much rather used my own mic for the sake of the volume and sound quality.

Thirdly, the show itself was rather messy, although we did pull through. When we played our first song, the sound engineer forgot to turn on the clean vocalist's mic and the lead player's guitar was off and on. Despite this and a few similar problems that plagued our set, we persevered and did the best we could. On my part, I had just recovered from a bad cold. I had not practiced only because I needed time to heal. Although my Black Metal shrieks were still intact, my growls left something to be desired. For the sake of the band and for myself, I chose not to growl and instead shrieked my way through the set. Although being disappointed for being restricted to the high screams, it was better to do that than to not do anything at all.

Fourthly, I admit to being pretty upset with myself after the show. I thought that I made the band look bad and the reason for our performance was all my fault. Many people who were friends said I did a great job and that my screams were cool, but I felt that they were only saying that to make me feel better. In time, I was able to get over it, rethink things and realized that things were not so bad after all. If there we any complaints, the ones I heard were for the clean vocalist.

Now...despite what happened at the show, I felt and still feel something inside me saying: "Keep going. Don't stop, the best is yet to come." Maybe it's God, perhaps it's my spirit or  possibly indigestion. But if anything is true, it's my desire to keep going and to do better.     
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 09:53:26 AM »

That sounds awesome - congrat's!  You should record your performance, that way you can listen back to it the next day and you don't have to count on what others say to critique how you did.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 10:11:19 AM »

Fourthly, I admit to being pretty upset with myself after the show. I thought that I made the band look bad and the reason for our performance was all my fault. Many people who were friends said I did a great job and that my screams were cool, but I felt that they were only saying that to make me feel better. In time, I was able to get over it, rethink things and realized that things were not so bad after all. If there we any complaints, the ones I heard were for the clean vocalist.

Now...despite what happened at the show, I felt and still feel something inside me saying: "Keep going. Don't stop, the best is yet to come." Maybe it's God, perhaps it's my spirit or  possibly indigestion. But if anything is true, it's my desire to keep going and to do better.     

Yes, please keep going.

When you are your own worse critic, which can be unfair to yourself sometimes, you will do nothing but improve (provided your self-criticism does not lapse into self-pity).

Big karma for getting up there, for doing it.  Even *IF* you never did it again, that's a big step, and one to be happy you took.  The next one will be 'easier,' though I sense you will alway be your own critic.  That's fine, just don't let the critic 'take over,' if you know what I mean.

Good luck!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 10:26:20 AM »

That's a great attitude, that will help you.  In any artistic or creative endeavor you need to do it for yourself.  If you only play for praise and quit when you're criticized, you'll never get anywhere.  Listen to other people's input and consider it carefully, but ultimately you are the judge.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 10:56:11 AM »

I can totally relate this to my old band days in Hollywood.

Hollywood is a terrible place to try and make it in a band, or at least it was when I was doing it. There were so many rock clubs, and so many bands, and we felt like one of 100,000 penguins trying to stand out.

Most gigs were like cattle calls. 6 bands on the bill, 30 minute sets, and the soundman trying to get you on and off as quickly as possible, and forget about him giving a s**t whether or not you sounded good.

The progression getting into a club went like this:

Step 1: you send in your demo tape and get booked. This was not a difficult step, since they had 7 days a week and usually 5-6 bands per night, so you could usually find a slot if your music sounded remotely like rock made during the century.

Step 2: play the first gig. The first gig was likely to be the last set of the night, when drunken patrons were already halfway out the door, and between songs you typically hear the sounds of the last band packing up, beer bottles being thrown into bins, and the bartender closing the register. If you were lucky, you got the first set of the night, when about 10% of the night's crowd show up, and this is by the end of the set. Oh, and rest assured, this first gig will be on a Tuesday night.

Step 3: Get a second gig. Most clubs would keep track of your draw from the first show based on the number of your band's flyers that were presented at the door, or they would ask patron who they were there to see. If you drew a few people, then they might invite you back for a second gig. This was usually the first set of the night, unless you drew well, in which case you MIGHT get the second set. A few more people in the crowd, and you get a chance to really see how your music is going over to more than just your friends and the other bands and their girlfriends. This is a crucial gig, because you can actually add people to your mailing list, and if your show goes over well, you will continue to get invited back, usually for a few shots at the second set. And they would usually even give you a 45-minute set.

Step 4: After enough successful shows, consistent draws, etc., you might get the third set. This is a good thing. This is the set before the headliners. The crowd is almost in full swing, they've are getting loosened up, and just the fact that you are appearing at 9:30 or 10:00 instead of 8:00 ups their perception of you. Of course, it is at this time that delivering a solid show is most crucial. They might offer you an hour set, but we would always refuse it and stick with 45 minutes. We didn't want to go beyond this and risk losing the crowd. Afterall, you're still pretty much a nobody band at this point. More than 45 minutes and you begin to intrude on their desire to see the headliners. This is bad. By this time you might start seeing shows on Thursday, Friday, or Saturday nights.

Step 5: If you've done this at multiple clubs, and the club has begun to hear buzz about you, then you might get the coveted 4th set. This is the set that agents and reps see, because by this time they've arrived, done however many lines they're going to do with the owner, and have settled in to see sets. Also, the owner has booked you at this time because you've had some local buzz, and is likely to say to the rep "hey, you gotta check this band out."

That's pretty much the 5 steps of Hollywood gigging in the  90's.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 11:03:49 AM by Flick James » Logged

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The Gig Has Come and Gone.... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.