Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:59:59 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Seriously? Grave Encounters 2 « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Seriously? Grave Encounters 2  (Read 2080 times)
BakuryuuTyranno
Bad Movie Lover

« on: October 13, 2012, 08:35:31 AM »

Three reasons I'm skeptical-

1: Many films are more effective when audience members don't know what should be expected.

2: For filmmakers who seem talented at first, repeating their films just gives the feeling they didn't really have much ambition or vision. Besides, was there really anything that could have been done with "Grave Encounters" that wasn't already?

3: It falls into the "reuse the same characters" trap sequels often fall into more recently, and backstory stuff we "didn't know" about the first. If the first worked without telling the audience that information, logic dictates the audience doesn't need that information.

While I haven't this yet it kinda looks like "Grave Encounters" is apparently travelling that "sequels for a non-sequel-compatible movie" route previously travelled by "The Blair Witch Project", "Paranormal Activity" and allegedly "Donnie Darko"
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 08:51:17 AM »

I loved GRAVE ENCOUNTERS so much I am willing to give this one a chance, but I am not optimistic.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
JoeTheDestroyer
Random Text Crapper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 11:59:38 PM »

I didn't much care for the original, so I'll probably skip this one anyway. 

One thing I will build off is point number 3.  I find that the less they explain, the scarier things are.  One problem I have with horror sequels is they tend to dole out more backstory and give explanations behind supernatural events.  If a franchise repeats an antagonist and develops it further, then said antagonist ends up gaining more of a personality and consequently becomes less frightening. 

Latest reader review:
Crossbow (Atari 2600)
Latest staff reviews:
BC Racers (32X)
Dying Light (PS4)
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 03:41:31 AM »

I'm with indianasmith, the original Grave Encounters was one of the best movies I have seen in recent years.

A sequel is stupid and makes me sad.

I understand why they are making it. Horror movies have always been the quick easy way for budding filmmakers to make money.

But a sequel to one of the most inventive horror movies in years? I'm guessing it will be garbage. Look at those [REC] movies. Not everything needs a sequel. Instead of rehashing success, why not try for a new movie?

Oh, yeah. The money.

Disappointing.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Seriously? Grave Encounters 2 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.