Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 09:27:15 AM
714152 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  IT'S A CULT, I TELLS YA!!!! « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: IT'S A CULT, I TELLS YA!!!!  (Read 13438 times)
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2012, 03:40:30 AM »

We live in a very interesting society these days.  If you don't fit into a particular stereotype or do something against the norm, you are mocked and people think there is something wrong with you.  This may have been going on for awhile, but with the Internet nowadays makes it much more obvious and large scale.

It's pretty much always been like that.

I find it very interesting that the reaction that guys liking something aimed at girls is often "what's wrong with them? They shouldn't be liking that. Are they gay or something?" but any girl or woman of any age liking something aimed at boys isn't often given a second thought.

Yeah.  For the most part, women can enjoy the "man specific" activities/media and not be ostracized (with some serious exceptions, admittedly), in fact men are quite often HAPPY about this, but the reverse is rarely true.  It works the same way with clothes, with women now able to wear what were once designated as men's clothing without any issues, and the reverse, of course, is not publicly accepted.

There's nothing wrong with the acceptance of women moving into traditionally male domains, quite the opposite.  It's just the lack of acceptance of the other side of things is something of an issue.

And here I am being all serious in a Brony thread.  What's the deal with that?   TongueOut

Small | Large
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2012, 11:45:16 AM »

We live in a very interesting society these days.  If you don't fit into a particular stereotype or do something against the norm, you are mocked and people think there is something wrong with you.  This may have been going on for awhile, but with the Internet nowadays makes it much more obvious and large scale.

Actually I think the Internet has had the opposite effect of what IG is talking about. Mass communications have made it so easy to find other like-minded people you can hang out with that we've somewhat lost a sense of baseline normality. For example, finding someone who was interested in bad movies before the Internet existed would be quite a hunt. Now you just type "bad movies" in Google and come here and find hundreds of people to discuss them with.  It makes it seem normal to us and we may forget that 99% pf the populace doesn't share or understand our passion.

It's harmless with us, Nazis and white supremacists can do the same thing... easily find like-minded people on hate forums to continually reinforce their opinions. They don't feel as much like outcasts as they used to. Every deviation from the norm seems more normal when you know plenty of people who share your opinions, however far out they may be.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2012, 11:50:58 AM »

We live in a very interesting society these days.  If you don't fit into a particular stereotype or do something against the norm, you are mocked and people think there is something wrong with you.  This may have been going on for awhile, but with the Internet nowadays makes it much more obvious and large scale.

I find it very interesting that the reaction that guys liking something aimed at girls is often "what's wrong with them? They shouldn't be liking that. Are they gay or something?" but any girl or woman of any age liking something aimed at boys isn't often given a second thought.

Yeah.  For the most part, women can enjoy the "man specific" activities/media and not be ostracized (with some serious exceptions, admittedly), in fact men are quite often HAPPY about this, but the reverse is rarely true.  It works the same way with clothes, with women now able to wear what were once designated as men's clothing without any issues, and the reverse, of course, is not publicly accepted.

There's nothing wrong with the acceptance of women moving into traditionally male domains, quite the opposite.  It's just the lack of acceptance of the other side of things is something of an issue.

And here I am being all serious in a Brony thread.  What's the deal with that?   TongueOut

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qwRbOm2Pvg

This is indicative of manhood issues that have been going on for a long time in the U.S.

It's like ballet. If a guy got involved with ballet there would be an assumption amongst most males that he is gay. As a result there is a shortage of qualified American male ballet dancers. I Russia, on the other hand, ballet is a national treasure, and a man being a ballet dancer is not at all seen as a question of manhood, and that's a country brimming with alpha males. Prominent male ballet dancers in Russia are like prominent athletes here. An interesting dichotemy.

I mean, if a man were coordinated enough to be a ballet dancer, what could be wrong with surrounding himself with beautiful, limber ballerinas all day long who have a shortage of men in their lives. Sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me. But, alas, I guess hanging out in a locker room with a bunch of other men is somehow more heterosexual.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 11:56:01 AM by Flick James » Logged

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2012, 04:47:52 PM »

I just saw the episode with Discord, and laughed my ass off at the ending. It was like a brief sense of deja-vu, followed by a moment of disbelief, and then outright delight.

It's interesting to see the two endings together. They almost did it shot-for-shot.
Small | Large

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2012, 05:07:10 PM »

ESPN's Pardon the Interruption just made a Brony referance, that was very unexpected

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Jim H

« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2012, 11:37:02 AM »

I went to an anime convention the other day.

...there were bronies. 

BounceGiggle
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2012, 12:01:18 PM »

I went to an anime convention the other day.

...there were bronies. 

BounceGiggle

There are already dedicated brony conventions. Amazing how fast that can happen.

And you have to give the producers credit for quickly recognizing the show's cult status and treating bronies as part of the target audience. Lots of fun references and little Easter eggs thrown in.

Here's another one that made me laugh. Fluttershy takes an assertiveness course and becomes utterly ruthless. Eventually, she sees what she's become and wants to be alone.
Small | Large

BounceGiggle

---------------------
Jim H

« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2012, 12:44:28 PM »

It was clear most of the bronies honestly did like the show, but also liked it in a sort of ironic way.  It was an interesting dynamic.

On another note, I've now seen the first four episodes.  They were actually pretty entertaining.  But, I watched them with my girlfriend.  I guess I get to keep my man card?    TeddyR
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2012, 01:17:52 PM »

I watch it with my six-year-old daughter. She really loves it, and insists I watch with her. I'm just being a good father as far as anyone else is concerned, and what could be more manly than that? TeddyR

---------------------
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2012, 09:37:47 PM »

I really don't see the problem Question

Oh, now I do! TongueOut
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 07:17:33 PM by El Misfito » Logged

yeah no.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  IT'S A CULT, I TELLS YA!!!! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.