Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:44:23 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Has the atmosphere changed? « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Has the atmosphere changed?  (Read 15213 times)
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2012, 06:06:26 AM »

Oh, I feel bad.
I haven been visiting as much as I should.

Plus my girlfriend HATES b movies and I cant watch them as much.

I still view the site even if I dont log in. I think its still as perky as it always has been.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2012, 06:12:36 AM »

Menard hit it right on the nose.

I wouldn't take it so easy if this community disappeared tomorrow, but he's still pretty much right about everything.

The community is people, and you who contribute are my people, and that should be explored.

To tell you the honest truth, Mofo: if this community vanished tomorrow, I have no idea what I would do. If I get angry at work, I log on here and I calm down very quickly.

Man-I would be VERY upset if this forum disappered. You guys really are my best freinds-mebbe that doesn't say much for my social life in the "real" world (or lack of one)-but it's true. I would be lost without you nuts.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2012, 06:23:15 AM »

Man-I would be VERY upset if this forum disappered. You guys really are my best freinds-mebbe that doesn't say much for my social life in the "real" world (or lack of one)-but it's true. I would be lost without you nuts.

TeddyR Cheers

And we would be lost without you, old friend.  TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2012, 06:29:05 AM »

TeddyR Cheers

And we would be lost without you, old friend.  TeddyR

Thanks,Trev. I miss some of the old crew,Ash,Sister Grace,even Cheeze Flicksz-but I like all the new folks. Makes things fresh...and I get to "rehash" old topics that may be old to me-but I like the idea I can turn on some young 'uns to something they didn't know about. And-being the out of touch old fart that I am-I learn new stuff too.  Thumbup

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
dean

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2012, 06:33:38 AM »

Wow, like Mofo, I've been posting here for a long while [maybe not quite so long, nor so active].

I used to obsessively check the boards every day.  Hours were lost here and I appreciated every moment.  But like all things, life moves on and I don't get as much time to check in as much as I used to.  

Has there been a change?  Sure there has.  I personally don't read most of the captions/games threads, but the way I figure it; if you don't like it don't read it.  Perhaps some of the 'meat' has gotten lost amongst the white noise which makes it harder to get excited?

Have we all discussed all the oldies to death so now have only new bad movies left?  [for the record that's not necessarily a bad thing, but it has been a while since I've had a good discussion about a 'classic' b-movie]

Times change, people change, and we also get to know each other better and in some instances that can cause friction.  The internet has certainly changed since I started posting here and the way we engage with social networks like this board has also changed.

That being said, this board has such a great place in my heart and there's still that spark there so not all change is bad.

Shame to see trek go though.   Bluesad   I do understand the 'I'm leaving' spiel if only because we have a thread titled 'lost friends' and its nice not having to worry that something happened.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2012, 08:40:51 AM »

If Jack stays around I'm fine, I need someone to bully.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2012, 08:43:34 AM »

Agreed.

If Jack stays around, Im fine. I need someone to love bully.

Yeah.

Totally bully. 

*ahem*

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2012, 09:00:54 AM »

^  Well.  It's a good thing I don't do 'flounce' well, or I'd feel obliged to sniff and flounce off... Wink

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2012, 10:01:54 AM »

TeddyR

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2012, 01:57:13 PM »

Y'know... Ive been around since about 2001 in one form or another.  Trek is one of my favorite online aquaintences and it makes me most sad to see him do this.  As for atmosphere, there are a lot of silly threads... but I don't deal with those what I find useless. 
Politiocs, I steer clear of in general, I know what I know, you know what you know, and arguing probably won't change either of our minds.  I will say this formum has introduced me to to someone who has social and political views almost entirely opposite of mine, and I can happily call him my friend, and thats cool.  And the level of political discourse on here is of the highest level. 

As for myself... a non B-movie wife, and two small kids who prefer talking cartoons animals to monster films means I don't see the fraction of the films I did before. So my time on the actual movie boards if sadly limited...so maybe I have drope dthe tone by adding my share of silliness.
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2012, 02:04:38 PM »

I agree with most everyone here about the atmosphere changing.  This board is a different place than it used to be.  
I used to post here every day and would go through withdrawal if I didn't.  I can't even begin to count how many thousands of hours I've spent here...not just on this board but the entire site.  Because of that, there's no way I could just up and delete my account like trek did.  No way Jose!
As with most things, this site and forum has evolved and changed over time.  Do I miss the old days?  Of course I do.  I remember the first time I came here way back in the summer of 2000.  I was instantly hooked.

And, for what it's worth, in recent years, I (and others) have posted reviews (or comments) on movies watched in the bad movies or good movies boards that have not gotten one single reply comment.

This.
This is why I haven't posted as much as I used to.  There was a time when I would write a post and it would get countless responses.  Not so much anymore.
I feel like a lot of us old timers' posts get lost in the shuffle or "white noise" as someone else put it.
I still lurk almost every day but the topics have gotten stale and uninteresting.  (at least to me they have)
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2012, 05:06:57 PM »

I agree with most everyone here about the atmosphere changing.  This board is a different place than it used to be. 
I used to post here every day and would go through withdrawal if I didn't.  I can't even begin to count how many thousands of hours I've spent here...not just on this board but the entire site.  Because of that, there's no way I could just up and delete my account like trek did.  No way Jose!
As with most things, this site and forum has evolved and changed over time.  Do I miss the old days?  Of course I do.  I remember the first time I came here way back in the summer of 2000.  I was instantly hooked.

And, for what it's worth, in recent years, I (and others) have posted reviews (or comments) on movies watched in the bad movies or good movies boards that have not gotten one single reply comment.

This.
This is why I haven't posted as much as I used to.  There was a time when I would write a post and it would get countless responses.  Not so much anymore.
I feel like a lot of us old timers' posts get lost in the shuffle or "white noise" as someone else put it.
I still lurk almost every day but the topics have gotten stale and uninteresting.  (at least to me they have)

Yeah I think I get where you guys are coming from there and when a bunch of new threads pushes something quickly to the second page without it perhaps even getting noticed by some of us sometimes. It seems the nature of things as we do have far more young posters here now who seem to be into the more modern bad movies. Makes me wonder if perhaps the board should be divided even further into modern and classic films but then again, I'm not sure even more board pages are going to help as there's perhaps far too many here already. Maybe it's just a need for further persistence to keep track of topics and posters who may interest us but yeah there's a lot of white noise out there and I have to admit to posting a lot of inconsequential stuff here and adding to it myself. But at the same time, it feels like hanging out and talking with friends kind of inconsequential so I'm not sure that's all bad either.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2012, 11:32:27 PM »

I agree with most everyone here about the atmosphere changing.  This board is a different place than it used to be.  
I used to post here every day and would go through withdrawal if I didn't.  I can't even begin to count how many thousands of hours I've spent here...not just on this board but the entire site.  Because of that, there's no way I could just up and delete my account like trek did.  No way Jose!
As with most things, this site and forum has evolved and changed over time.  Do I miss the old days?  Of course I do.  I remember the first time I came here way back in the summer of 2000.  I was instantly hooked.

This.
This is why I haven't posted as much as I used to.  There was a time when I would write a post and it would get countless responses.  Not so much anymore.
I still lurk almost every day but the topics have gotten stale and uninteresting.  (at least to me they have)
I kinda feel bad.  I've read reviews by you and a few others.  Some were good, but there's times, usually before work, where I'll read the review with the intent of replying later.  But then circumstances in my life (maybe overtime at work, other events) end up preventing this and the next time I'm on I forget.  Shame too, as I've enjoyed some that I saw. BounceGiggle

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2012, 12:16:43 AM »

the important thing is to not take it too seriously IMO.  after all, it's 'only' a messageboard...getting hung up on it is probably a sign of investing too much emotion into a bunch of words on a screen. - not to take anything away from this place however, which is probably the nicest/friendliest messageboard community of any that I'm a member of on the net...but at the end of the day it shouldn't be a reason to stress out if you percieve it to be 'different' from before...

We've had this conversation before, it has been answered, yet there are some people on this board if their heads were cut off, they still wouldn't realize it.

One of the primary reasons this board changed is because of an influx of Zombie #1's attitude: it's only a message board, so it doesn't matter.

A community is a collection of people sharing, and that matters. Many of us on here have gone through our tragedies and triumphs, trying times and good; and this was a place where we made friends whom we never met in life, but through all oddities we found a common bond and shared things they were our next door neighbors or long time acquaintances.

This started out as nothing more than a threaded message board without topics. Off topic discussions were simply marked as OT, and Ash was the leader of that domain. There was no rules summary, the members policed the board themselves; when there was a troll incident, and there were some outlandish troll incidents years ago, the members would find ways around it and if a member was being attack, we would come to their aid, not sit back and watch in entertainment.

Of course, some of those incidents also were turned into humor; such as Buffy Knight or a thread that pops up ever now and then in the Bad Movies topic where someone created a bogus user account to promote some video of their's, and instead we decided to hijack the thread and change the topic of it and it has been a running joke since.

When I first joined the board, I was not one to use profanity on the board or to fight with people (who fainted?). There was an incident where a troll came onto the board and specifically went after Ash. Although she seemed to contribute in other ways, she would not let off of Ash, even though he hadn't been on the board for a while to even defend himself. I got sick and tired of her and ripped into her, and she departed in short order. I was not so amiable after that.

But what happened with the board? Why did it change? Who's fault is it?

The old guard let it languish. It got to a point where you could check on the board once a day just to see if something had been posted. Change was inevitable; if the membership was not going to keep things running, and Andrew has a website to keep up and the board is a vital part of that website, then things had to change to keep it going, to update it.

Expanding the board brought in new people, and even had some of the old ones returned because there was activity taking place. But, with any expansion, some get lost in the shuffle, things get too busy, and that place, like a favorite hangout, rather than being a place where you can sit down with a few friends for a casual conversation, you find yourself being bumped about and lost in the crowd (being lost in the crowd has never been my weakness as I will make myself known).

Things do change. You can't keep holding onto the past if it's not working; 'staying the course' was not only a stupid political philosophy, it stands in the way of progress. The internet changes and grows, and in order to survive with it, much like the world, websites and message boards need to adapt right along with it.

As the internet changes, so do we. The internet has become more integrated with our lives, offering more sites and more interactions, and where message boards were the apex of online interaction so many years ago, a lot of the internet has moved beyond them now.

It was a close-knit community so many years ago, and that's not saying that does not still exist within it, but that community has changed. That doesn't make it a bad thing, it's just somebody else's community now, somebody else's hangout.

But a community, the people who make it up, the things they have shared and the memories of them, that isn't just nothing. A message board is not just another message board like a hangout is not just another hangout. A corner shack is built from wood, and a message board is built from code, but its construction is immaterial as what makes it up in reality is the people and the community they bring together and if you truly want to get what has changed: a little too much of "it's just another this or that and it doesn't matter" attitude.

Zombie #1 wasn't wrong, but hit it right on the nose. This used to be a place, for some of us, that was where we met with friends and talked about trivial and important things. That doesn't mean that it is still not that for many of you, but it has moved beyond some of us. I used to care about this board, but, anymore, if it wasn't here tomorrow, it wouldn't bother me one bit.

The question of "has the atmosphere changed?" is oblivious; and the answer is not singular.

For those who do find it a community, a place you cherish, hang onto it; keep it going.

For me, I'll just be hanging around as usual to torment (just because I love tormenting you b***hes) and of course for the free boob shots (HINT!!!).   TeddyR

Sorry.

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2012, 01:19:43 AM »

TeddyR

TeddyR TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Has the atmosphere changed? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.