Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:59:20 AM
713383 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Has the atmosphere changed? « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Has the atmosphere changed?  (Read 15225 times)
Pilgermann
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2012, 02:20:03 AM »

I guess the forum seems a bit different these days, although I haven't always been the most hardcore contributer and I don't have the knowledgoe of its members and history that some of you have, but it's still the one I most enjoy visiting.  It seems less active at times but it's still a nice community.  I'm sure some of what makes it feel different is every individual's experiences in their personal lives, things that cause them to have to put things like the internet and other seemingly non-essential things to the side.  I spent a long time away myself, partly because of limited interent and partly because of personal issues I was dealing with.  I kind of feel like I'm a bit more cynical (I made a curmudgeonly post in the Van Halen thread, I'll re-address that) and grumpy sometimes but this is probably one of the best forums I've been involved in over the years.  We've got a colorful group here, things aren't always hunky-dory, but I think that keeps it interesting.   Cheers

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2012, 06:33:24 PM »

the important thing is to not take it too seriously IMO.  after all, it's 'only' a messageboard...getting hung up on it is probably a sign of investing too much emotion into a bunch of words on a screen. - not to take anything away from this place however, which is probably the nicest/friendliest messageboard community of any that I'm a member of on the net...but at the end of the day it shouldn't be a reason to stress out if you percieve it to be 'different' from before...
We've had this conversation before, it has been answered, yet there are some people on this board if their heads were cut off, they still wouldn't realize it.
One of the primary reasons this board changed is because of an influx of Zombie #1's attitude: it's only a message board, so it doesn't matter.
A community is a collection of people sharing, and that matters. Many of us on here have gone through our tragedies and triumphs, trying times and good; and this was a place where we made friends whom we never met in life, but through all oddities we found a common bond and shared things they were our next door neighbors or long time acquaintances.
This started out as nothing more than a threaded message board without topics. Off topic discussions were simply marked as OT, and Ash was the leader of that domain. There was no rules summary, the members policed the board themselves; when there was a troll incident, and there were some outlandish troll incidents years ago, the members would find ways around it and if a member was being attack, we would come to their aid, not sit back and watch in entertainment.
Of course, some of those incidents also were turned into humor; such as Buffy Knight or a thread that pops up ever now and then in the Bad Movies topic where someone created a bogus user account to promote some video of their's, and instead we decided to hijack the thread and change the topic of it and it has been a running joke since.
When I first joined the board, I was not one to use profanity on the board or to fight with people (who fainted?). There was an incident where a troll came onto the board and specifically went after Ash. Although she seemed to contribute in other ways, she would not let off of Ash, even though he hadn't been on the board for a while to even defend himself. I got sick and tired of her and ripped into her, and she departed in short order. I was not so amiable after that.
But what happened with the board? Why did it change? Who's fault is it?
The old guard let it languish. It got to a point where you could check on the board once a day just to see if something had been posted. Change was inevitable; if the membership was not going to keep things running, and Andrew has a website to keep up and the board is a vital part of that website, then things had to change to keep it going, to update it.
Expanding the board brought in new people, and even had some of the old ones returned because there was activity taking place. But, with any expansion, some get lost in the shuffle, things get too busy, and that place, like a favorite hangout, rather than being a place where you can sit down with a few friends for a casual conversation, you find yourself being bumped about and lost in the crowd (being lost in the crowd has never been my weakness as I will make myself known).
Things do change. You can't keep holding onto the past if it's not working; 'staying the course' was not only a stupid political philosophy, it stands in the way of progress. The internet changes and grows, and in order to survive with it, much like the world, websites and message boards need to adapt right along with it.
As the internet changes, so do we. The internet has become more integrated with our lives, offering more sites and more interactions, and where message boards were the apex of online interaction so many years ago, a lot of the internet has moved beyond them now.
It was a close-knit community so many years ago, and that's not saying that does not still exist within it, but that community has changed. That doesn't make it a bad thing, it's just somebody else's community now, somebody else's hangout.
But a community, the people who make it up, the things they have shared and the memories of them, that isn't just nothing. A message board is not just another message board like a hangout is not just another hangout. A corner shack is built from wood, and a message board is built from code, but its construction is immaterial as what makes it up in reality is the people and the community they bring together and if you truly want to get what has changed: a little too much of "it's just another this or that and it doesn't matter" attitude.
Zombie #1 wasn't wrong, but hit it right on the nose. This used to be a place, for some of us, that was where we met with friends and talked about trivial and important things. That doesn't mean that it is still not that for many of you, but it has moved beyond some of us. I used to care about this board, but, anymore, if it wasn't here tomorrow, it wouldn't bother me one bit.
The question of "has the atmosphere changed?" is oblivious; and the answer is not singular.
For those who do find it a community, a place you cherish, hang onto it; keep it going.
For me, I'll just be hanging around as usual to torment (just because I love tormenting you b***hes) and of course for the free boob shots (HINT!!!).
TeddyR

Whew!  Your fingers must be ty-red.  Zombie #1 is a pleasant guy with a Gidget avatar, a great attitude, and is never long winded.  Thumbup TeddyR

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
major jay

« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2012, 06:47:12 PM »

Zombie #1 is a pleasant guy with a Gidget avatar, a great attitude, and is never long winded.  Thumbup TeddyR

I seconded that.

Menard
Bad Movie Lover

I Am Vitriol...When You Say My Name You Praise Me

« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2012, 12:25:59 AM »

Sorry.

You aren't the first one who has said it's only a message board, and you won't be the last. There's probably quite a few regular members who feel that way. Often it's a matter of distinction, or comparison; for someone who is a member of several message boards, about equally contributes to them, or less to this one, not every place you put energy into can be a special place.

As I have said, it has been discussed before, and a lot of my comments are not unique to my most recent post (diatribe as AHD probably would call it TongueOut ).

Ash's post to which Trek has alluded in a previous thread, and my take on it near 4 years ago, can be found here: http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php/topic,118534.msg188073.html#msg188073 (and of course I'm my usual pleasant self...ahem  Lookingup ).
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 12:39:49 AM by Menard » Logged

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2012, 12:30:13 AM »

Oh Menard, you're such a card!!!

Do you have any blogs or forums of your own going right now?  I enjoyed your last one, even though it never got as much participation as we had hoped.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Menard
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2012, 12:38:33 AM »

Oh Menard, you're such a card!!!

Do you have any blogs or forums of your own going right now?  I enjoyed your last one, even though it never got as much participation as we had hoped.

I don't have any websites right now. I'll eventually put up a small website with some of my writings on it, but I don't have any plans for overloading the internet with websites any time soon.

Two things that worked against running a forum: 1) You really need to have a core website, purpose, of which the forum is a part as it is difficult to get interest in one which is specifically just a forum; and 2) I can see where I might be entertaining as a member of a forum, but I don't see too many people who would be interested in a place where I am running things, some people would compare that to hell. Wink

JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2012, 01:01:31 AM »

I considered asking Menard for help one time when I considering starting up something back in my old TV Files days but then real life got in the way of any such plans...

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2012, 02:09:49 AM »

I always think the atmosphere does change when I get here and my undies foul the atmosphere....  TongueOut Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Menard
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2012, 02:14:14 AM »

...but then real life got in the way of any such plans...

Ran into the same problem. Of course I also came to the conclusion that I was wasting a lot of effort on playing around with websites that had no real content, save for one blog, that I could use to better effect.

::sniff::

Damn! Where'd that come from?

I always think the atmosphere does change when I get here and my undies foul the atmosphere....  TongueOut Wink

Oh...  TongueOut

Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2012, 05:10:15 AM »

People used to think that it was miasmas or "bad air" that caused diseases. Then they found out that wasn't the case, it was germs.

Unfortunately for you, Trevor, your undies are still one of the primary vectors.

Lord knows I love you, but your undies aren't just a personal problem, they're a public health emergency. Seriously, would it kill you to give them a wash every once in a while? Because they are quite literally killing everybody else.

Ah, who am I kidding? I can't stay mad at Trevor.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Sleepyskull

Well,well,well...

« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2012, 05:53:43 AM »

People used to think that it was miasmas or "bad air" that caused diseases. Then they found out that wasn't the case, it was germs.

Unfortunately for you, Trevor, your undies are still one of the primary vectors.

Lord knows I love you, but your undies aren't just a personal problem, they're a public health emergency. Seriously, would it kill you to give them a wash every once in a while? Because they are quite literally killing everybody else.

I agree. His germy undies killed me, then the evil spirits within the stain pools took over my body and made me a zombie. Zombies can't smell, so all is right with the world.

Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world`s original sin. - Oscar Wilde
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2012, 07:47:28 AM »

::sniff::

Damn! Where'd that come from?

Oh...  TongueOut

BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2012, 07:50:53 AM »

They have been called many things in the past but vectors: never.  TeddyR TeddyR

BounceGiggle BounceGiggle Now you know why we're moving back to our other building.  Buggedout

TeddyR Thumbup

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2012, 07:53:12 AM »

I agree. His germy undies killed me, then the evil spirits within the stain pools took over my body and made me a zombie. Zombies can't smell, so all is right with the world.

TeddyR TeddyR TeddyR

I should just add that I have two very special young friends in my life who call me "Uncle Zombie".  Smile TeddyR

JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2012, 10:44:59 PM »

"Uncle Zombie" = coolest nickname ever!  Thumbup Hmm suspect some might well call you "Captain Underpants" too Trevor.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Has the atmosphere changed? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.