Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:56:14 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  What Was That Film?  |  Unsolved Archives  |  Name of a Futuristic Sport Death Match Type Movie? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Name of a Futuristic Sport Death Match Type Movie?  (Read 25945 times)
RM
New Visitor

« on: January 16, 2012, 04:56:59 PM »

Looking for the name of a futuristic death match type sport movie, similar to Roller ball (1975) or Blood of Heroes, but this took place in an inside arena, where men wore leather and had crazy axes/maces with spikes etc.  Don't remember if there was a ball/net scoring system involved or if it was an all out team death match brawl. No vehicles, or skates of any sort, more like a 5 on 5 match.

Only other thing i can remember is that at one point the main character spent time in a desert (after i believe losing an important match).

My best guess on release date is 80's.

Any thoughts?

Rayo Casablanca
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 11:27:44 PM »

Maybe CLASH OF THE WARLORDS (1985).
Rayo Casablanca
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 11:28:42 PM »

Have a look here: http://www.post-apocalypse.co.uk/clash.html
RM
New Visitor

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 04:34:50 PM »

Rayo, thanks for the reply and definitely appreciate the link with a pretty damn good summation of the entire movie. 

Unfortunately however, its not the movie I was looking for.  The one I'm thinking of is more focused around this sport that is played and the matches that occur. 

I'll post an update if I think of any more details.  I know I'm not working with much now. 
Menard
Bad Movie Lover

I Am Vitriol...When You Say My Name You Praise Me

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 08:55:28 PM »

Been a while since I've seen it, but check out  New Gladiators (1984).

kumanthong80
New Visitor

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 10:39:55 PM »

maybe full moon's arena
Deathfeast
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 11:16:39 PM »

Mad max beyond Thunderdome? Could be arena as well.
Darkesthour
New Visitor

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 09:18:36 AM »

Sounds like The Running Man to me....

Plot:
By 2017, the global economy has collapsed and American society has become a totalitarian police state, censoring all cultural activity. The government pacifies the populace by broadcasting a number of game shows in which convicted criminals fight for their lives, including the gladiator-style The Running Man, hosted by the ruthless Damon Killian, where “runners” attempt to evade “stalkers” and certain death for a chance to be pardoned and set free.
eti
New Visitor

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 07:26:22 PM »

'Temmink' is a Dutch movie with roughly the same theme.
Couchtr26
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 02:57:35 AM »

You may want to check out Endgame (1983).  It has a champion in a blood sport/post apocalypse situation that is then asked to assist a group of mutants out in the desert. 

A fan made trailer from Youtube is available here.

Small | Large

Ah, the good old days.
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

Bad day at the construction site

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 07:57:50 PM »

Looking for the name of a futuristic death match type sport movie, similar to Roller ball (1975) or Blood of Heroes, but this took place in an inside arena, where men wore leather and had crazy axes/maces with spikes etc.  Don't remember if there was a ball/net scoring system involved or if it was an all out team death match brawl. No vehicles, or skates of any sort, more like a 5 on 5 match.

Only other thing i can remember is that at one point the main character spent time in a desert (after i believe losing an important match).

Any thoughts?

IMDB.com is calling it Salute of the Jugger (1989) but I could have sworn that it had a different name. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094764/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_99

Starring Rutger Hauer and Joan Chen.

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

Bad day at the construction site

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 05:22:55 PM »

Looking for the name of a futuristic death match type sport movie, similar to Roller ball (1975) or Blood of Heroes, but this took place in an inside arena, where men wore leather and had crazy axes/maces with spikes etc.  Don't remember if there was a ball/net scoring system involved or if it was an all out team death match brawl. No vehicles, or skates of any sort, more like a 5 on 5 match.

Any thoughts?

IMDB.com is calling it Salute of the Jugger (1989) but I could have sworn that it had a different name. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094764/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_99

Starring Rutger Hauer and Joan Chen.

DUDE! It's The Blood of Heroes (1989)! Check it out: http://www.badmovies.org/movies/bloodheroes/

How come IMDB.com has it under a different name?

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"
Puzzled
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 09:42:44 PM »

The OP should definitely check out the badmovies reference, if nothing there rings a bell it's not Salute of the jugger.

Salute of the Jugger is the original title, Blood of Heroes is the name for the American release. Unfortunately, the American release also cut about 10 min from the movie, including the original downer ending and an intriguing incident early in the movie when they encounter a patrol from the 9 Cities.

Even worse the american version seems to be the only one widely available. I went so far as to track down a Japanese DVD of the film and from what I've been able to find even the european blue ray is the shorter american cut.

There are also no good quality video releases that I've been able to find. Both the American DVD release and apparently the Blu Ray release are of horrible video quality. The DVD is barely better than a VHS tape and is 4:3 to boot.

The name on the european blu ray is "sallows helte".

If anyone ever gets a source for a good quality version with the full cut I'd love to hear it.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  What Was That Film?  |  Unsolved Archives  |  Name of a Futuristic Sport Death Match Type Movie? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.