Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:50:29 AM
714352 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  What happened to Roger Ebert? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What happened to Roger Ebert?  (Read 5443 times)
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« on: January 18, 2012, 07:34:08 AM »

Bluesad

I know he was sick, but yikes, poor guy.
In the UK he isnt that big here, but I always seemed to like his reviews even if I dont agree with them.

I heard on the radio, a few years ago, he was having trouble talking, but from the pic on the link, his whole face has changed. Perhaps thats old age, but I dont think so.

http://www.filmjunk.com/2011/12/19/roger-eberts-top-20-films-of-2011/?utm_source=scribol&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=scribol

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 08:20:00 AM »

Doggett, he had thyroid cancer and had to have his lower jaw removed, I believe.

I just found out that I have something in common with a movie critic: his two favourite films are Citizen Kane and The Third ManBuggedout TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 08:29:20 AM »

Saw him and literally jumped sorry to say.  Its really too bad.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 08:37:13 AM »

He gave a good review to Return of Swamp Thing.

I respect him for that.  Smile

Saw him and literally jumped sorry to say.  Its really too bad.

It shocked me too. Thats why I thought it wasnt just a voice problem.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 08:42:59 AM »

Doggett, he had thyroid cancer and had to have his lower jaw removed, I believe.

Was it thyroid cancer?  I thought it was cancer of the salivary glands.  Either way, I feel bad for the guy.  I loved watching him on "Sneak Previews" with Gene Siskel many years ago.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Flangepart

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 09:36:26 AM »

Yep. Always fun watching those two argrue.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 10:49:35 AM »

That's really too bad. I didn't always agree with his opinions, and I still think he should have stayed away from the topic of video games entirely, but he seems to be one of the few writers who understands the difference between a reviewer and a critic.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 10:52:00 AM »

The Siskel and Ebert show was iconic. I always tended to agree with Ebert's reviews more than Siskel's. I think I read somewhere that they had a bit of a love/hate relationship, but I don't remember where.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 12:24:23 PM »

The Siskel and Ebert show was iconic. I always tended to agree with Ebert's reviews more than Siskel's. I think I read somewhere that they had a bit of a love/hate relationship, but I don't remember where.
It was indeed iconic...and I also tended to side with Mr.Ebert more often.

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 01:39:33 PM »

My favorite part of the old "Sneak Previews" show was when Siskel and Ebert each selected their "Dog of the Week" (the week's worst movie).  "Spot the Wonder Dog" would leap into the balcony for this segment.  Just about every time they showed clips from these bad movies, I would think to myself, "Damn . . . I need to see that movie!"

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 02:02:47 PM »

I never really appreciated Roger Ebert until later on. Didn't think there were any film critics who looked at movies the way I did. When I actually started reading Ebert's reviews, I could tell that he is someone who genuinely likes movies. He tends to see movies for what they are, and doesn't measure everything against his own ideal, as some critics do. If the movie is entertaining, and accomplishes what it sets out to do, that's what matters. And if it doesn't, Ebert is usually spot-on about where things went wrong. And if it flat-out sucks, he can be very funny.

Roger Ebert is a critic I trust.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 09:22:38 PM »

I've admired Roger Ebert's work for ages. Used to love seeing him argue with Gene Siskel (and later with Richard Roeper) on TV, and I looked forward to reading his reviews of new films in the newspaper every Friday. I rarely agreed with Roger's opinions on films, as his tastes tended to be more "highbrow" than mine, but I have always loved the way he writes.

Over the past year or so, the newspaper I work for has switched from using Ebert's reviews to those of other syndicated critics (Stephen Whitty of the Newark Star Ledger being the main one), though I don't know whether that was due to Roger possibly reducing his workload in light of his illness, or simply that the other guys' columns are cheaper...either way it's not the same.

I've read three of Ebert's books recently - his memoir "Life Itself" and two collections of his most brutal reviews ("Your Movie Sucks" and "I Hated, Hated, HATED This Movie") ...in "Life Itself" he went into great detail about his battle with cancer (and yes, it was first detected in one of his salivary glands)... apparently he went through a first round of cancer treatments, the doctors thought they'd gotten it all, and then a couple of years later it came back with a vengeance. He's now had his entire lower jaw removed, so he can't speak, eat, or drink. However, he still maintains a very positive outlook and he's simply glad to be alive. He takes solace in the fact that he can still communicate his love of films via the written word.

...I was very humbled when I read that. You gotta admire the hell out of anyone who can eat a sh*t sandwich like that and still keep smiling. I know for sure that I could never be that positive if I were in his situation.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 09:27:11 PM by FatFreddysCat » Logged

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Raffine

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 10:15:10 PM »

Ebert recently got a facial prosthesis. He says he originally planned to wear it whenever he left the house but now feels comfortable enough with his appearance ("I've earned it!" he remarked) that he'll mainly use the prosthesis for public appearances.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 06:47:01 AM »

The removal of a jaw will pretty much ruin your appearance. Ebert had a pretty distinctive jaw-line before he had to remove it. I think it is fantastic that he has no trepidation about his new appearance. Good for him.

Ebert is somebody who's opinion I've always enjoyed reading. I don't always agree with him, and there are times when he is just straight-up wrong. His arguments against video games were asinine, but he's taken enough of a kicking for those posts.

I get the sense from Ebert that's he is just a guy who loves movies. Loves the form in any form they take. That goes a long way in my book. Here is a man who has written incredibly insightful commentaries on some of the most hoity-toity "art" films, but can still manage to find the good in movies such as Air-Bud and The Devil's Rejects.

I, too, love movies, and it doesn't much matter to me what form they take. As long as they're good, I will champion them. In that sense, Ebert is a kindred spirit.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 07:17:25 AM »

He wrote 3 Russ Meyer films! For that alone I respect the man.  Cheers

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  What happened to Roger Ebert? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.