Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:40:55 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Alex's even longer post thread. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75]
Author Topic: Alex's even longer post thread.  (Read 198623 times)
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1110 on: March 12, 2024, 05:59:15 PM »

Set off last week on what was our first proper holiday as a family. Everytime we've went anywhere (other than things like a weekend away), it has been to visit family. I've been wanting something that was just us for a while now. Anyway, we got the train to Aberdeen, stayed there overnight then flew down to London (after a couple of hours spent sitting on a plane on the runway delayed thanks to London fog) where we spent a couple of days. I got to go to a games shop I've wanted to go to for over 30 years and picked up a few things. We wandered around a few places, mostly avoiding the usual tourist spots. London hadn't changed since the last time I was there. It always looks dirty and unkempt to me. You can travel a lot through the city and not see any sign of nature.

I wonder if any city will ever have so much concrete that it ends up having problems getting breathable air?

Anyway, the pavements rarely seem to be in any decent condition, drivers are terrible (stopping on crossings is a major thing, especially buses so you can't see when the lights have changed to allow you to cross).

Then it was an early morning trip to the Eurostar. I have to say, airports could learn a thing or two about passport control from these guys. We were through the whole process and baggage check-in moments, rather than the long drawn-out process you have to go through to fly. Traveled to Brussels first, and then back to just outside Paris and straight into Disneyland Paris. For a park that has been open for over 30 years, it didn't seem to have a lot of rides. Over the course of our visit, we'd continually see the same characters in costume, with no variation.

Honestly, it felt like is you ordered Disney from Wish, Disneyland Paris is what you'd get. Kristi says people from the US would recognise Temu as their equivalent. I didn't get to go on a lot of the bigger rides, simply because Ash was slightly too short to get on them, but the only ride we thought was better there compared to California was the Peter Pan one. Everything else was at best the same, but in many cases was worse, especially the Phantom Manor (Haunted Mansion). I really wanted to enjoy that one, but it just felt like a cheap knockoff copy. Still, Ash loved it, especially any ride involving a train. Or one where he could see the train rides. We went to the equivalent of the Blue Bayou. Rather than being fine dining, I found the food to be just acceptable. I had a Carribean Chicken dish, which had a single prawn in it. Ok, it was a big prawn but still. Also still had its head and tail on. I took them off no problem, although it did feel like the eyes were staring at me all through the meal.  BounceGiggle I reckon if the meal had been half the price, then it would have been fine, but for how much we paid for it, I definately expect more.

Ash did love The Tower of Terror, which I must confess I'd been worried about. Although he loves thrill rides, I wasn't sure how he'd do with an enclosed ride as compared to an open air roller coaster. There was no need to worry at all. He was shrieking and laughing the whole ride. After it he told me his favourite part was the ghost. As we were heading home through the shops just outside the parks, I spotted a patrol of fully armed French infantry (7 soldiers carrying rifles). I guess with the attacks they've had over the years I can understand why they'd put out what should be a strong deterrent like that. Trouble was, from the point man to the one bringing up the rear I doubt there was 20 feet of separation between them. I could have taken them all out with a single sweep or explosive device. If i was a terrorist, it would only have encouraged me to launch an attack.

Anyway, on the second night we were heading back just after dark (19:00ish). There was a half-hour walk from our hotel to the park (and visa-versa). Between two of the themed hotels (Cheyanne and the Santa Fe), there is a river crossed by several footbridges. This is all within the greater park area and inside their perimeter fence. As we approached the bridge, I could see a man standling alone in the middle of it. Thought it was slightly unusual, but not overly so. Anyway, I did take a mental note of his description (approx 180 cm tall, dark clothes, black hair and beard. He was facing away from us so I couldn't get too many details). He was on his mobile phone. Over the bridge, we could go straight on towards the main hotel building (it had a large building in one corner, then lots of outlying buildings with the rooms), go right towards the park exit along the river bank or go left towards our room. As soon as we were off the bridge and turned left, the guy on the bridge started shouting abuse at me. I told Kristi to take Ash's hand and walk on ahead while I slowed down ever so slightly so she was maybe 10 feet ahead of me. A second man, accompanied by a dog emerged from between a couple of the complex's buildings. The two guys shouted at us and spoke with each other (shouting), before they switched to calling out insults to Kristi. I refused to turn around and look at them, but if we'd went straight ahead to the main area we'd have been trapped between the two. I am guessing here, but I'd imagine they expecting me to move to engage the first guy, he'd have pulled out a knife or a gun (always a problem in a country where guns are legal. If they have limited access then you know only the most serious criminals are going to have one, but where they are legal, well all bets are off). Anyway, while I am pinned trying to deal with him, the second guy with the dog would have threatened Kristi and Ash. If I turn around to deal with him, then man one has me. If not, then well Kristi isn't going to be able to take him and his animal out. Us turning left rather than going straight ahead threw their plan off, and people don't always react well to something going wrong with a plan. Kristi cut across some grass and got into a better-lit area and which point with a final taunt aimed at me, they gave up. I was very tempted to give them the traditional insult that longbowmen used to give the French back in medieval battles.

I knew that turning around to look at them would have meant I'd have ended up fighting all three, but damn walking straight ahead and not speeding (gives the impression that you are frightened, and weakness invites attack) up was bloody difficult. I was listening intently for any footsteps running up behind me the whole time. We got back to our room without further incident, although it didn't make me happy that the doors to each individual block didn't have a lockable door to each building. I didn't feel shaken up by the experience or anything (not exactly my first rodeo there. I've had enough of these incidents to be able to rate them out of 10), but I knew Kristi was and I lay awake the whole night just watching the door in case we'd been followed.

In the morning I reported the whole thing to the hotel. They kept asking if I thought it was a hotel employee as guests are not allowed dogs. Couldn't quite seem to get the thought through to them that maybe someone had broken the rules or snuck into the camp. Criminals do things like that. They asked me what I'd like them to do about it. I told them that maybe you might want to have some of your security staff patrol the bridge areas at night, but I don't think the front desk staff will pass the information on to their management. Not until it's too late.

Anyway, after that we just took the shuttle back and forth between the hotel and park. No point in pushing our luck. I am convinced that only keeping the two guys off balance and not doing what they expected kept us safe.

The rest of the trip passed without any further dramatic incidents happily. We got the Eurostar back to London, stayed there overnight, and then another flight back home. As we were traveling home, Ash thanked Kristi for taking him to see the trains.

Not a word about Disneyland.  BounceGiggle

Pretty much every train and plane we took was delayed, but we managed to make it through regardless.

Overall, it was a fun trip. Despite my misgivings about Disneyland Paris, we did enjoy it.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #1111 on: March 12, 2024, 10:11:17 PM »

Dude, I'll say it again, if you'd you let surrender frogs kill you, I'd have been too ashamed to ever post to you again.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1112 on: March 18, 2024, 04:53:44 AM »

Yesterday was a busy day. On handover, I was told there had been some phone calls from what sounded like a young woman, looking for her friend who she believed had come onto camp. It's not an unusual thing. Just after I took over, the same woman phoned back again. It turned out she was looking for her sister. They said that her coming onto camp would be completely out of character for her, that she had kids and a partner and had promised she'd come home to get her kids from the babysitter and was now late. Shortly after this, she then turned up at the guard room. Due to data protection laws, we couldn't look up to see if she'd been booked onto camp, so we got the military police involved. One of the guys on the gate knew the guy who had brought the woman on. We also spoke to the civilian police (who mentioned they were rather busy as 10 people had reported someone missing that night). Anyway, we tracked down the guy's room and the military police went off to check the room. The same guard who knew the lad said he'd been on the front gate when he'd come through with the girl and that he'd warned him to be careful because the woman was so drunk she didn't know what he was doing.

A civilian police car arrives, comes on and then after a few minutes it drives back out, stops in the car park and a girl gets out. At the distance they were too far away to make out fine details but it looked like one was being comforted by her sister. After a while they drove off. Maybe an hour later two police cars and a van come on to camp and stay there for several hours. The lad has been carted off to Aberdeen (90 minutes later) for a police interview.

You can draw your own conclusions about what happened around those events to cause them.

Up in the Strat Fac today. I am watching an old sci fi horror (Dead Space starring Marc Singer) while my oppo is watching a documentary on Ted Bundy.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Alex's even longer post thread. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.