Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:13:06 AM
713330 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  New lead on Jack the Ripper's identity « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New lead on Jack the Ripper's identity  (Read 4967 times)
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« on: January 25, 2012, 08:08:06 PM »

http://www.examiner.com/paranormal-in-panama-city/jack-the-ripper-s-identity-discovered-via-forensic-evidence-killer-h-h-holmes

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 08:27:06 PM »

As a former forensics dude, with multiple times as a "qualified expert" in court, I offer the following.

The hand writing expert would have a tough time in a modern court if all she can say is that two letters were written by the same hand.  They allege that one was written by Holmes, thus proving he was the killer.

However, that would not be admissible in court these days...she cannot establish that Holmes wrote the "known" letter. 

Also,

'there is no doubt, we just need more testing before sticking our necks out to the entire world and history.'

is absolutely NOT what the technical firm is saying...how does the hack-piece writer get that?  They know nothing of how forensic science works in the real world...

The phrase to remember here, boys and girls, is "reasonable scientific certainty."  That's the standard that scientists have to meet in court.  What this means in practice is that if I analyze a sample and draw a specific conclusion...it darn well better be the SAME conclusion another expert in the same field would reach.

These guys are NOT going to sign their name to something, not for glitz and the "importance" of the case, but because the data are lacking for anyone else to draw the same conclusion.

I hate hack writing ....

(Rev...you were saying .... )

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 09:12:16 PM »

Horsec*ck. The Ripper Murders occured in London between April 1888 and February 1891.
Herbert (HH Holmes) Mudgett was killing people in Chicago during 1888-1894.

This so called "investigation" was being done for Jeff Mudgett-the great grandson of Holmes. Obviously he's trying to get some kinda infamy through the association-like being related to sicko Holmes wasnt bad enuff.  Lookingup

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 10:16:27 PM »

Horsec*ck. The Ripper Murders occured in London between April 1888 and February 1891.
Maybe he took a vacation and went to London during that time.   Lookingup

Mudgett contacted these experts, scientists at the University of Buffalo, who agreed to donate their services in the interests of history after learning the cause. The conclusion reached by these scientists was that the classifier performance number, (97.95%) "can be taken to indicate the JTR and Mudgett classes are similar in style."
I like the bold part here.  It's  a perfect way to say something and still leave yourself an open to come back and say "well, that isn't exactly what we said."

I'm with the rest of you on this one.  I think this is just a publicity stunt. 
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 12:42:07 AM »

ungawa

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 07:22:38 PM »

OKAY! I CONFESS! IT WAS ME! I'VE BEEN CARRYING THIS BURDEN FOR FAR TOO LONG! I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 11:50:34 PM »

OKAY! I CONFESS! IT WAS ME! I'VE BEEN CARRYING THIS BURDEN FOR FAR TOO LONG! I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!
I knew it all along. You crazy basterd!

Can I have yer autograph?

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 12:00:11 AM »

I knew it all along. You crazy basterd!
Can I have yer autograph?
To Ulthar: No, I'm not an English teacher, however, RC you still can't spell.   Thumbup TeddyR

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
ChaosTheory

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 12:14:04 AM »

The Ripper Murders occured in London between April 1888 and February 1891.

Yeah, that was my first thought too.  Holmes was quite the busy bee, eh? (Straying off topic a little but DEVIL IN THE WHITE CITY is one amazing book).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't handwriting analysis a kind of precarious method anyway?  I'm pretty sure they tried it with the Zodiac too but weren't able to get anything conclusive....

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 01:46:27 AM »

TeddyR TeddyR

I was afraid to click on that link because I thought it might be me.  Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
JayJayM12
Regulary relieves himself on hospitality...
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 04:29:06 PM »

Even if they do finally figure it out, I'm almost positive that he's HAD to have skipped town by now...

Check out my movie reviews and articles at:  www.cinedump.com<br /><br />Or, don\\\'t check them out - see if I care.  You\\\'re not my real mom anyway.  Unless, you are.  In which case, whatever, I\\\'ll do what I want.  It\\\'s my hot body.  Y\\\'all don\\\'t know me.
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 04:43:26 PM »

Even if they do finally figure it out, I'm almost positive that he's HAD to have skipped town by now...
You'd think that, but it's possible he's just been laying low to divert suspicion. 
JayJayM12
Regulary relieves himself on hospitality...
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 06:54:43 PM »

You'd think that, but it's possible he's just been laying low to divert suspicion. 

Good point!

Check out my movie reviews and articles at:  www.cinedump.com<br /><br />Or, don\\\'t check them out - see if I care.  You\\\'re not my real mom anyway.  Unless, you are.  In which case, whatever, I\\\'ll do what I want.  It\\\'s my hot body.  Y\\\'all don\\\'t know me.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 10:27:53 PM »

Oh, he's still hanging around all right, and will be for some time to come.
Small | Large

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  New lead on Jack the Ripper's identity « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.