Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:50:54 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Woody Allen deprecation thread « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Woody Allen deprecation thread  (Read 18780 times)
Kaseykockroach
Cartoon Enthusiast and Muppet Fanatic
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2012, 12:34:45 AM »

I'm not an old hippie (since I'm only 19), and I love his early stuff (though I don't care for most of his films post-Manhattan. Rather than invent, he just seems to remake). You guys are all crazy.

Closetshipper.deviantart.com

"You wanna be a genius, it's easy. All you gotta say is, everything stinks. Then you're never wrong."
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2012, 12:40:40 AM »

You guys are all crazy.

You just noticed that?  Wink

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2012, 12:43:00 AM »

I'm not an old hippie (since I'm only 19), and I love his early stuff (though I don't care for most of his films post-Manhattan. Rather than invent, he just seems to remake). You guys are all crazy.
WOODY's slapstick movies have their appeal, but not much to me.  I like his later films much better and I'm not a fan of ANNIE HALL or MANHATTAN particularly, transitional films, however STARDUST MEMORIES is very interesting and perplexing and deep and incidentally, funny!  Then there are so many good films leading up to CRIMES AND MISDEMEANORS.  

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2012, 12:55:57 AM »

Oh!  Has this become a hijacked WOODY appreciation thread? I'm not sorry.   Smile
Small | Large

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2012, 12:56:56 AM »

I have so much more WOODY to share!!! 

I love you all.  Sincerely. 

bob
I survived Bucky Larson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2012, 12:59:12 AM »

I've never really gotten or cared to get Woody Allen's appeal.  But any man who seduces his stepdaughter is scum in my book.

wait...what???  Question

He adopted a girl when he was with Mia Farrow-and ended up f**king her and marrying her. Sick sorry basterd.

that is quite possibly the most disgusting and repulsing thing ever

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2012, 01:00:20 AM »

I've never really gotten or cared to get Woody Allen's appeal.  But any man who seduces his stepdaughter is scum in my book.

wait...what???  Question

He adopted a girl when he was with Mia Farrow-and ended up f**king her and marrying her. Sick sorry basterd.
Nor is it accurate.

Small | Large
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 01:05:27 AM by Allhallowsday » Logged

Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2012, 01:06:57 AM »

Personally, I like much of his work. As a human being, he has unfortunately lived too much of his shtick, growing more neurotic and nutso over time, but he is an outstanding writer and director. I am more a fan of his earlier works, mostly because I love a good one-liner and he was a master of that art form. I get that he isn't for everyone, but I don't understand the hatred of his work based on his bad choices as a person; a lot of brilliant writers/artists lived despicable lives and yet are revered for their work. If you don't find him funny, fine, don't watch his movies. But don't hate his movies ONLY because you think he's an incestuous windbag.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2012, 01:17:21 AM »

Small | Large

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2012, 01:29:44 AM »

I have never actually 'gotten' what Woody Allen's films are about anyway. The only film that he had anything to do with that I enjoyed was What's New Kitty Cat.

* I had to change the title as the word p***y is not allowed here.  Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2012, 02:46:18 AM »

At the risk of coming off as a heathen around here: I will admit I never 'got' the appeal of his work, either.  I'm afraid he just creeps me out - and I am not referring to his personal life; the whole 'nebbish-who-gets-the-girl' schtick does not work for me the way he presents it.

Edited to substitute 'heathen' for 'lower life form'
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 08:07:27 AM by Newt » Logged

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Jim H

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2012, 05:03:23 AM »

I've never really gotten or cared to get Woody Allen's appeal.  But any man who seduces his stepdaughter is scum in my book.

wait...what???  Question

Probably not really important, but Farrow had her before she and Allen were together, and they ended up getting together when Soon-Yi Previn was 21.  I gather they didn't have a father-daughter relationship, so it's only creepy in the "35 year age difference/daughter of an ex-lover" kind of way.  Yeah, only that way.   TongueOut

On another note, my mom saw Mia Farrow speak last year.  Said she was a great speaker.  Someone did ask about Woody Allen.

Paraphrasing here, but she said something like, "I feel a bit better about him now than I used to.  If I saw him get run over in front of me, I'd actually think about calling 911 these days.  Maybe."

As far as Allen's films...  I think Annie Hall is a very good film, and I do think his films can be pretty funny.  But sometimes his attitude kinda bugs me. 
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2012, 09:44:10 AM »

I was a huge Woody Allen fan back in the 1970s and 80s.  I haven't kept up with most of his more recent stuff, but I still watch his older movies from time to time.  BROADWAY DANNY ROSE is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen.  Please don't hate on the Wood Man!

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2012, 10:06:36 AM »

Woody Allen is a whiney little f**k-much like me-but I dont f**k or marry my kids.

And he aint funny-bottom line. Old school hippies like him.
f**k hippies.
I got hair down to the middle of my back now.
Call me a hippy motherf**ker-I WILL get p**sed.
I'm a slippy.

And I quoted my self. Groovy. Dam Groovy.

Ronnie,

It's posts like this that make me REALLY wish I could still give you karma.   BounceGiggle

As for Woody Allan...I could take or leave him.  Only seen a few, and they fall into the "I remember seeing them, but little else" category.  I think one cannot argue that from a film history point of view, he's made his mark.

Uh, no double entendre remarks necessary....
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 10:08:53 AM by ulthar » Logged

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2012, 10:54:01 AM »

At the risk of coming off as a heathen around here: I will admit I never 'got' the appeal of his work, either.  I'm afraid he just creeps me out - and I am not referring to his personal life; the whole 'nebbish-who-gets-the-girl' schtick does not work for me the way he presents it.

Edited to substitute 'heathen' for 'lower life form'
Good morning.  Your commentary is ignorant.  Meaning "without knowledge".  It hasn't been "nebbish gets the girl" in at least 30 years... Lookingup   The best parts of WOODY's films are typically not him.  He doesn't appear in many of his films (like PURPLE ROSE OF CAIRO or BULLETS OVER BROADWAY.)  However, as a central character he can work too (DECONSTRUCTING HARRY).  I love you Newt, but STFU.  Wink
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 10:59:11 AM by Allhallowsday » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Woody Allen deprecation thread « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.