Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:20:32 PM
713356 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Woody Allen deprecation thread « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Woody Allen deprecation thread  (Read 18781 times)
bob
I survived Bucky Larson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2012, 11:27:01 AM »

I'll never forget watching Manhattan....

I had to take 10 breaks before giving up on Manhattan wth about 20-30 minutes left in the film

I was just incredibly bored by it

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2012, 01:58:48 PM »

I don't really like MANHATTAN much.  

I love STARDUST MEMORIES though.  

Small | Large
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 02:01:51 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2012, 02:06:04 PM »

I guess it's not enough to simply not like an artist's work.

I like Woody Allen films. Whatever his creep factor may be for some, and I have to say I think there are creepy aspects about him, I think that tends to permeate people's opinions of his work. They are inextricably linked. I've seen some posts here that indicate that some simply don't like his work and it has nothing to do with his life or not liking him specifically. If that is indeed the case, then I respect that. However, I have a hard time believing that very many people's dislike of his work can be extricated from their issues with him personally. It's just a part of the Woody Allen phenomenon, for good or ill.

I have no doubt that he is an unsavory person on one or multiple levels to a great number of people. I still like much of his work and acknowledge that not all of it is good. He admits this openly. His attitude is basically to make as many films as he possibly can and some will stick and some won't. When he sticks, I like the results a great deal. His latest film, Midnight In Paris, was one of his best in my book. Matchpoint wasn't too shabby either.

To each their own. Forgive me if I have a hard time believing most of the posts that they don't like his work and it has nothing to do with him. I just have a hard time buying it.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2012, 02:56:22 PM »

I love CRIMES AND MISDEMEANORS

Small | Large

Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2012, 03:48:27 PM »

It hasn't been "nebbish gets the girl" in at least 30 years...

There you go, Flick James: I have been disliking WA intensely for at over 30 years.  That is long before his personal life became such rich tabloid fodder (and before the young lady in question was even born).

AHD I disliked WA from the start for the reason I gave, and since there seemed to be a common thread in his performances that I objected to, I suppose I expected it to colour his off-screen efforts as well.  The films he makes generally are not really of a type I would be all that motivated to see in any case: but with his name attached, they appeal even less to me.

My loss.

And I'll shut up when you do.   TongueOut

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2012, 06:44:39 PM »

There you go, Flick James: I have been disliking WA intensely for at over 30 years.  That is long before his personal life became such rich tabloid fodder (and before the young lady in question was even born).
AHD I disliked WA from the start for the reason I gave, and since there seemed to be a common thread in his performances that I objected to, I suppose I expected it to colour his off-screen efforts as well.  The films he makes generally are not really of a type I would be all that motivated to see in any case: but with his name attached, they appeal even less to me.
My loss.
And I'll shut up when you do.   TongueOut
Fair enough.  I knew I could count on your sense of humor.  However, you are deprived.  WOODY ALLEN's better films are lyric, and atmospheric.  
Please watch this whole scene.  Once you've seen it, you may understand WOODY better, and despite negative assertions, how he's a gentle, thoughtful, romantic.
Small | Large
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 06:53:45 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2012, 08:40:48 PM »

There you go, Flick James: I have been disliking WA intensely for at over 30 years.  That is long before his personal life became such rich tabloid fodder (and before the young lady in question was even born).
AHD I disliked WA from the start for the reason I gave, and since there seemed to be a common thread in his performances that I objected to, I suppose I expected it to colour his off-screen efforts as well.  The films he makes generally are not really of a type I would be all that motivated to see in any case: but with his name attached, they appeal even less to me.
My loss.
And I'll shut up when you do.   TongueOut
Fair enough.  I knew I could count on your sense of humor.  However, you are deprived.  WOODY ALLEN's better films are lyric, and atmospheric.  
Please watch this whole scene.  Once you've seen it, you may understand WOODY better, and despite negative assertions, how he's a gentle, thoughtful, romantic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieoFkuu_aNM

Hannah and Her Sisters is one of my favorites. Good ensemble performances.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2012, 08:47:22 PM »

God is a luxury I can't afford.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2012, 08:55:14 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieoFkuu_aNM
Hannah and Her Sisters is one of my favorites. Good ensemble performances.
It is my favorite. 

bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2012, 01:49:03 AM »

Annie Hall.......the first Woody Allen movie I ever saw

unlike Manhattan I did finish Annie Hall, but I needed a lot and I mean A LOT of breaks to finish it

but I really really disliked it

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
claws
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2012, 01:58:19 AM »

I don't care much about WA but I do like Purple Rose of Cairo, enjoyed Husbands & Wives very much and Manhattan Murder Mystery was one of my most watched movies in the 90s.

That said, I always read the thread title as Woody Allen decapitation thread  Bluesad
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2012, 11:36:38 PM »

I don't care much about WA but I do like Purple Rose of Cairo, enjoyed Husbands & Wives very much and Manhattan Murder Mystery was one of my most watched movies in the 90s.

That said, I always read the thread title as Woody Allen decapitation thread  Bluesad
snicker 

Small | Large

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2012, 01:33:34 AM »

That said, I always read the thread title as Woody Allen decapitation thread  Bluesad

BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

I was going to give you karma for that but I can't.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
panos
New Visitor

« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2012, 11:34:01 PM »

Woody Allen is a genius.
Narrow minds jump on a bandwagon of tabloid moral outrage unquestioningly. It is the effect of the mob in action. Disconcerting.
Allen isn't creepier than Sonny Bono was, or Groucho Marx, or Jerry Seinfeld, or any of a thousand celebrities who married young women -- even underage women. Love is where one finds it. I don't judge people for their romantic choices.
And for your concern, nothing is taboo. It is the society (you & me) which made it taboo. Fear is a bad attitude even you are sick of it. We are intelligent humans. Arent we? Or perhaps you'd prefer to go back in the dark ages.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2012, 12:09:14 AM »

Well I can't say whether or not I like him cuz I haven't seen a movie by him. And judging by you folks, it seems to be either you like him or you hate him. I ain't taking sides! TongueOut

yeah no.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Woody Allen deprecation thread « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.